Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 45,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tool]File(1) command for Android (ver 5.11)

Tip us?

samveen
Old
(Last edited by samveen; 3rd May 2012 at 12:59 PM.) Reason: Display sig
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Lightbulb [Tool]File(1) command for Android (ver 5.11)

After wandering around looking for an android build of the file command, I finally went ahead and compiled it myself.

The attached package contains the file binary (v5.11), the libmagic.so shared library, the associated magic files and the build specific files that I needed (over and above the source) to build it. The paths of the files are relative to '/'.

Refs:
source: file website (www_darwinsys_com/file/)
compiling: Native Vim on Android (gdr_geekhood_net/gdrwpl/vim-android.php)

Note: Add the location of libmagic.so to LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get rid of the "CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE" error. (I use /data/local/lib)
Attached Files
File Type: gz file-5.11-arm-android_8.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (238.2 KB, 409 views)
Utilities for Android: GNU make 3.82, GNU grep 2.12, GNU diffutils 2.8, file 5.11, Strace 4.6(Using NDK r8c), GNU Bash 4.2(Dynamically Linked)

Current: Nexus 4 8GB(Stock 4.4 unrooted), Toshiba AC100 (2.2 by silver-alx)
Old: Huawei U8150 (Stock 2.2 rooted)
Epic Fail:Nexus S GT-I9020T (Stock 4.1.2 unrooted)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to samveen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samveen
Old
(Last edited by samveen; 3rd May 2012 at 01:01 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Compiled a dynamically linked library and associated binary instead of the monolithic binary built earlier.
Utilities for Android: GNU make 3.82, GNU grep 2.12, GNU diffutils 2.8, file 5.11, Strace 4.6(Using NDK r8c), GNU Bash 4.2(Dynamically Linked)

The Following User Says Thank You to samveen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

royale1223
Old
Thanks Meter 500

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samveen View Post
After wandering around looking for an android build of the file command, I finally went ahead and compiled it myself.

The attached package contains the file binary (v5.11), the libmagic.so shared library, the associated magic files and the build specific files that I needed (over and above the source) to build it. The paths of the files are relative to '/'.

Refs:
source: file website (www_darwinsys_com/file/)
compiling: Native Vim on Android (gdr_geekhood_net/gdrwpl/vim-android.php)

Note: Add the location of libmagic.so to LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get rid of the "CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE" error. (I use /data/local/lib)
I followed your instructions and it works perfectly.

Code:
Select Code
$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/data/local/lib:/data/local/lib:/data/local/lib:/system/lib:/vendor/lib
$ file
Usage: file [-bchikLlNnprsvz0] [--apple] [--mime-encoding] [--mime-type]
            [-e testname] [-F separator] [-f namefile] [-m magicfiles] file ...
       file -C [-m magicfiles]
       file [--help]
$ getprop  | grep device
[ro.cm.device]: [jordan]
[ro.product.device]: [umts_jordan]
I have been looking for this for a while. Man!! This post needs some serious attention. Great work.

Sent from my MB525 usiIng XDA

osm0sis
Old
(Last edited by osm0sis; 19th March 2014 at 07:58 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13492
@samveen Any chance you could compile it with libmagic statically linked again to make it portable? Thanks for your time.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post your question in the correct thread if you want a response.

samveen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis View Post
@samveen Any chance you could compile it with libmagic statically linked again to make it portable? Thanks for your time.

@osm0sis Sure. I'll add in a statically linked binary, but it'll take a little time (2-3 days).

The Following User Says Thank You to samveen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Computoncio
Old
Thanks Meter 2904
Quote:
@osm0sis Sure. I'll add in a statically linked binary, but it'll take a little time (2-3 days).
I was just looking for this. Great tool.
Thanks for your work.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII - GT-I9100
Kernel: Dorimanx kernel v10.43v116-mv3
1st ROM : SlimSaber 4.4.2 mv3 by fusionjack build of 20140721 (Online)
2nd ROM :
MODEM: UHMS1
MODS: Partition Fix, Hue Blue v4.4 by Kroz

osm0sis
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13492
Quote:
Any luck? I think it only needs libmagic statically linked to be portable; the other NDK/Bionic stuff can probably stay dynamic to keep the filesize down. I see file 5.17 source is available now too if you wanted to update your builds to the latest.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post your question in the correct thread if you want a response.

Computoncio
Old
Thanks Meter 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis View Post
Any luck? I think it only needs libmagic statically linked to be portable; the other NDK/Bionic stuff can probably stay dynamic to keep the filesize down. I see file 5.17 source is available now too if you wanted to update your builds to the latest.
If you want only the system file type, the workaround i use is this (eval $(/sbin/blkid /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 | /sbin/awk ' { print $3 } '); /sbin/busybox echo $TYPE)

In a script just add a var like this

TYPE=$(eval $(/sbin/blkid /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 | /sbin/awk ' { print $3 } '); /sbin/busybox echo $TYPE) and you will have the FS type in $TYPE.

Kernel: Dorimanx kernel v10.43v99-mv3
1st ROM : SlimSaber 4.4.2 Maliv3 by fusionjack build of 20140320 (Online)
2nd ROM :
Kernel: Dorimanx kernel v10.43v116-mv3
1st ROM : SlimSaber 4.4.2 mv3 by fusionjack build of 20140721 (Online)
2nd ROM :

osm0sis
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computoncio View Post
If you want only the system file type, the workaround i use is this (eval $(/sbin/blkid /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 | /sbin/awk ' { print $3 } '); /sbin/busybox echo $TYPE)

In a script just add a var like this

TYPE=$(eval $(/sbin/blkid /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 | /sbin/awk ' { print $3 } '); /sbin/busybox echo $TYPE) and you will have the FS type in $TYPE.
Interesting but nope; I need file to determine a filetype. Compressed archives via a script, to be specific.

samveen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
@osm0sis I got the code compiled (both with a dynamic libmagic.so, and libmagic compiled into file) but I need a little more time to compile the magic data (it requires running file on the target device to compile the magic data into a binary datafile). Once I have that figured out (either by compiling it or by creating a script to allow the users to do it themselves, I'll post it all in one go (need one more day).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samveen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]