5,603,646 Members 37,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-to] S-Off ext SD Fix (With Screenshots)

Tip us?

sindroidx
Old
(Last edited by sindroidx; 24th April 2012 at 02:24 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default [How-to] S-Off ext SD Fix (With Screenshots)

Guys, noticed a few people having trouble with the sd card fix so I ran it and took screenshots. Each screenshot is what you should see after running the command listed above the screenshot. (I am not going to post screenshots of how to open the command prompt.. if you made it this far you should already know)

Disclaimer: This formats your SD Card.

This requires busybox. I utilized the busybox installer found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

1. adb shell

2. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

3. type the letter "o"

4. type the letter "w"

5. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

6. Type the letter "n"

7. Type the letter "p" for primary

8. Type the number "1" for first partition

9. Press the enter key for default size.

10. Press the enter key for default size.

11. Type the letter "w"

12. busybox mkfs.vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

Edit: Step 13.. On your phone, click on the Notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format, the card should then format and mount properly.

This is my first How-to so if something does not make sense please let me know. Hope this helps guys.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to sindroidx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luis86dr
Old
Thanks Meter 1590
Nicely done. I'll add this to my FAQ thread. Great guide.

Sent from my Htc Rezound
Follow me on twitter @lmrtech

partizan1981
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Somebody tipped me off to the "adb shell" and then proceed portion prior to this walkthrough, but I know others struggled with this issue as well. I'm sure they'll appreciate this info, thanks!

nnnnr14
Old
Thanks Meter 238

DONATE TO ME
Im getting this after entering the letter "w"
fdisk: WARNING: rereading partition table failed, kernel still uses old table: D
evice or resource busy

sindroidx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnr14 View Post
Im getting this after entering the letter "w"
fdisk: WARNING: rereading partition table failed, kernel still uses old table: D
evice or resource busy
Hmm, never got that before. Do you have your device mounted as Charge only? Also may reboot the device see if that resolves it.. Last would be to run it through the terminal emulator on the phone (that is how I fixed mine the first time, its a pain but it worked).

When doing it through the terminal emulator on the phone though you do not need to use the adb shell command, just the busybox commands.

nnnnr14
Old
Thanks Meter 238

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindroidx View Post
Hmm, never got that before. Do you have your device mounted as Charge only? Also may reboot the device see if that resolves it.. Last would be to run it through the terminal emulator on the phone (that is how I fixed mine the first time, its a pain but it worked).

When doing it through the terminal emulator on the phone though you do not need to use the adb shell command, just the busybox commands.
what radio are you using? like are you on the new leak or the old one..

sindroidx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnr14 View Post
what radio are you using? like are you on the new leak or the old one..
First time (when I ran it on my phone) I was on the ICS leak. When I took the screenshots for this post I had downgraded to the GB RUU so I could install the eng hboot.

graymonkey44
Old
Thanks Meter 358

DONATE TO ME
I'll add this to my OP in the S-Off Instructions thread. Thanks a lot.

hoebag
Old
(Last edited by hoebag; 23rd April 2012 at 11:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
i i followed the instructions to the t but i never got the root@android...my prompt is sh-3.2#, i didnt have any errors or anything but it still is not recognized when i plug it into the computer, i also tried it from the emulator on the phone and i get the warning about the kernel still uses old table, device or resource busy, any thoughts?

sindroidx
Old
(Last edited by sindroidx; 23rd April 2012 at 11:56 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebag View Post
i i followed the instructions to the t but i never got the root@android...my prompt is sh-3.2#, i didnt have any errors or anything but it still is not recognized when i plug it into the computer, i also tried it from the emulator on the phone and i get the warning about the kernel still uses old table, device or resource busy, any thoughts?
Did you format the SD card at the end? Don't have a screenshot for that one since I had already got mine working but if no errors happened, you should be able to click on the notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format and it should format then mount.

Edit: Just modified OP for step 13.