5,593,793 Members 44,699 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do I watch video files on my phone from my PC over WiFi?

Tip us?

Hysterics
Old
(Last edited by Hysterics; 24th April 2012 at 12:01 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default How do I watch video files on my phone from my PC over WiFi?

Edit: Oh wow that was really simple, program called 'File Manager' with over a million downloads from the play store, accessed my network instantly. Sorry for the stupid question, leaving this up so other people with the same question can find it via the search tool.

Ok so the Note is awesome for media. My problem is organization, If I want to step outside and watch something while sitting on the porch I have to copy the files over currently. I'm assuming there's probably a way to be able to view files over WiFi and access them without actually copying, streaming them ect?

netsyd
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Another option is to use something like Mirage (beta) and a streaming video application like Air Video Server.

The benefit of this is that the video server handles file formats that your Note doesn't.

Current Devices:
Galaxy S4 Mini - SGH-i257m on AT&T LTE
Nexus 5 32 GB Running Kangakat

First Smartphone:
HTC Wizard

redeuxx
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I have a DLNA media server running on one of my computers and use Vplayer to access my media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

YellowGTO
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Plex is free and will stream all your media to your phone. Its also free PC side and small fee Android side. http://www.plexapp.com/
-Note 3-
2125, 3125, 8125, 8525, Tilt, Fuze, Tilt2, Droid X, Captivate, Atrix, Titan, SGS3, Note, Nexus, Note II,

eviltango
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysterics View Post
Edit: Oh wow that was really simple, program called 'File Manager' with over a million downloads from the play store, accessed my network instantly. Sorry for the stupid question, leaving this up so other people with the same question can find it via the search tool.

Ok so the Note is awesome for media. My problem is organization, If I want to step outside and watch something while sitting on the porch I have to copy the files over currently. I'm assuming there's probably a way to be able to view files over WiFi and access them without actually copying, streaming them ect?
Sorry for bring noob but how exactly fo you accomplish it with that app. I it looks no different than astro file manager.
Please positive constructive feedback

Send from the Noteorious BIG 5.3" Bell Canada

eviltango
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowGTO View Post
Plex is free and will stream all your media to your phone. Its also free PC side and small fee Android side. http://www.plexapp.com/
You have to pay in order to use this?

pyee0124
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltango View Post
You have to pay in order to use this?

Plex Android app is not free. But for desktop OS's, it is free(server and client).

I personally prefer Plex over DLNA for ease of use, as well as remote access while away from home.
Pending. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to pyee0124 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

YellowGTO
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyee0124 View Post
Plex Android app is not free. But for desktop OS's, it is free(server and client).

I personally prefer Plex over DLNA for ease of use, as well as remote access while away from home.
Yeah Plex is bad ass it also supports DNLA if you have an xbox or something.
-Note 3-
2125, 3125, 8125, 8525, Tilt, Fuze, Tilt2, Droid X, Captivate, Atrix, Titan, SGS3, Note, Nexus, Note II,

eviltango
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I ended up downloading it. very cool. I like it

armedmetallica
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I use Remote Potato (server app to install on your PC) and Remote Media Center (android app) w. VPlayer - which works very well... and if you actually use 7MC as your DVR back end, you can even do some nice remote scheduling, etc.

it streams every single file format i have on my server from HD MKVs to raw camcorder recorded m2ts, to .avi.

no copying no nothing.

Bonus: if you are brave enough to poke a hole in your FW rules, OR have vpn connectivity, this works exceptionally well over LTE! I've streamed on my 40 minute commute, through a bridge and a mile+ tunnel, and rarely drop the stream.