Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 42,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FD24_CL451301 (FD24 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted)

Tip us?

sfhub
Old
(Last edited by sfhub; 26th April 2012 at 03:50 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreOh View Post
I haven't been able to update Profile nor PRL at all since updating yesterday due to "connection error". How critical are both of those?
Sometimes the problem is on Sprint's end. Occasionally the infrastructure that handles profile and PRL updates is not working but they usually fix it relatively quick, so if it is a short-term problem, then that might be it. If it is long-term, then it is probably something else.

The main piece you care about in your Profile is your 3g login. If you are getting 3g, then you don't need to worry about it. The recent PRLs have often reduced the amount of 3g roaming you have, so not updating that might be a bonus. Though with NV there might be some improvements (then again, there might not, because Sprint feels less need to roam with their improved infrastructure)

Now if you should for some reason perform a ##786# or ##72786# reset, then you would need update profile to work (and also hands free activation) because doing a manual provision can be a pain for the 3g portion.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

sfhub
Old
(Last edited by sfhub; 26th April 2012 at 03:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6,836
If folks have random force closes, using NoData to upgrade from GB, there is one thing you can try before doing a Full restore or Factory reset.

Quote:
su
cd /data/dalvik-cache
rm *
reboot
This may or may not help your situation but takes a few seconds to try and can potentially save you from reinstalling all your apps.

Keep in mind a NoData upgrade is doing essentially the same thing an OTA update would be doing, so if the NoData upgrade didn't work for you and you started with stock EL29, likely neither would have the OTA.

Having said that, I upgrade all the time from EL29 to ICS using NoData and it works fine but I usually have zero apps installed (all stock) when I'm doing it because I'm just testing upgrade scenarios. I don't test upgrades from any other GB version.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sfhub
Old
Thanks Meter 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluv4eva View Post
Thanks for the explanation. So basically in my case of being rooted with EL29 with CWM running Blazers 4.1 ROM. If I get Calks and use CWM I should be okay?
As previously mentioned if you go between different ROM authors, you should do format_all. Within the same ROM author usually you can skip but if it is a big upgrade, best to format_all.

JohnCorleone
Old
Thanks Meter 5,770

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Sometimes the problem is on Sprint's end. Occasionally the infrastructure that handles profile and PRL updates is not working but they usually fix it relatively quick, so if it is a short-term problem, then that might be it. If it is long-term, then it is probably something else.

The main piece you care about in your Profile is your 3g login. If you are getting 3g, then you don't need to worry about it. The recent PRLs have often reduced the amount of 3g roaming you have, so not updating that might be a bonus. Though with NV there might be some improvements (then again, there might not, because Sprint feels less need to roam with their improved infrastructure)

Now if you should for some reason perform a ##786# or ##72786# reset, then you would need update profile to work (and also hands free activation) because doing a manual provision can be a pain for the 3g portion.
I can say from experience that sfhub is right. I had a stretch of 3+ months where I couldn't update Profile and PRL on my OG Epic and Sprint confirmed that it was on their end

Sent from either ET4G or NS4G using Xparent Tapatalk 2

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCorleone View Post
I can say from experience that sfhub is right. I had a stretch of 3+ months where I couldn't update Profile and PRL on my OG Epic and Sprint confirmed that it was on their end
Wow thats extreme. Yeah I personally haven't had any experience with it. You early android guys especially have more experience in this area than us old feature phone users. Not very often I needed to do a prl update or activate a phone manually myself. Android community especially those that get their hands dirty are a little more prone to experience in these matters.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX

knuckhead
Old
(Last edited by knuckhead; 26th April 2012 at 06:57 PM.) Reason: I did it and it worked! :)
Thanks Meter 18
One more dumb question (and not ashamed to say it)...

If I have the EL29 rooted setup (from sfhub previously) can I follow the procedure listed here and get the FD24 rooted setup? I'd like to have the FD24 stuff but I don't want to do something stupid and fubar the phone.

edit: Yes, this works as I hoped it would. I installed this over the top of the rooted EL29 with success!

sfhub
Old
Thanks Meter 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
Wow thats extreme. Yeah I personally haven't had any experience with it. You early android guys especially have more experience in this area than us old feature phone users. Not very often I needed to do a prl update or activate a phone manually myself. Android community especially those that get their hands dirty are a little more prone to experience in these matters.
I used to call in and have them flag my feature phone for updated PRL back in the old days when it they actually improved the PRL from a roaming perspective. Then my phone would get triggered to do a PRL update. Then it would fail with some error code. I had to go to a city 40 miles away before it would work.

Also keep in mind neither Update Profile nor PRL will work while on other carriers' towers.

bjonesy77
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Is anyone else experiencing very slow 4g speeds with this rom/kernal/modem?

I'm getting 455.2kB/s down and 177.9kB/s up with a 277ms ping.

With my stock EL29 rom/kernal/modem I get 1576.7kB/s down and 179.5 kB/s up with a 153ms ping.

tech7
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjonesy77 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing very slow 4g speeds with this rom/kernal/modem?

I'm getting 455.2kB/s down and 177.9kB/s up with a 277ms ping.

With my stock EL29 rom/kernal/modem I get 1576.7kB/s down and 179.5 kB/s up with a 153ms ping.
Same here slow speeds on the latest ics I just flash back to el29 and I get close to 2mps down and 97 up

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

tech7
Old
Thanks Meter 40
So is there a new version I got mine when it was post at 7 am now the time said in the afther noon?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium