Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,819 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G2x Getting ICS official :D

Tip us?
 
zoppp
Old
#41  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 376
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius View Post
Thus why I found it interesting...

However, with an gingerbread patch rolling out, doncha think it would be a bit late for an April ICS for the g2x? just sayin' ... which is why I am convinced that the much vaunted "update in q2" that LG was referring to was this 2.3.4 patch... and that's probably what it's being called on that timeline.
Maybe it's ICS but with an LG overlay.....

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device
- Akash
Blackberry 8320 (Indestructible Tank) -> LG G2x (SCREW LG) -> GS3 (Current)
 
lotherius
Old
#42  
lotherius's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 590
Posts: 2,050
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device
Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.

QuizUp

Device Details:
 

PHONE: Nexus 5 - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 1: 2013 Nexus 7 LTE - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 2: 2012 Nexus 7 - Stock / Xposed / F2FS
PREVIOUS PHONES: Nexus 4 / LG G2X / Vibrant 3G / MyTouch 3G / LG Xenon / HTC G1 / HTC Touch Vogue / Sanyo KATANA / Motorola V220 / Nokia 5160 / Tin Can
PREVIOUS TABLET: HP TouchPad CM10.x
COMPUTER: Self-Built - Core i5 4670, 8GB DDR3, 240gb M500 SSD, OMFG Terabytes (7 TB last count), stuffed in a 2008 Dell XPS 730 case with a 27" AOC Monitor.
Google Plus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotherius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mastermind_hassan
Old
#43  
Mastermind_hassan's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 203
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lahore
For what its worth, I just talked to an LG Canada rep and asked about the gingerbread update for Wind mobile and was informed that ICS will be released in august or september.

Mike P: Hello, ws. Can I help you with anything today?
ws: Hi, just wondering if there is a an android gingerbread update available for the optimus 2x from wind mobile available yet.
Mike P: Unfortunately not at the moment.
ws: any idea when?
Mike P: Broadly speaking, the ICS OS upgrade will be available on LGs upgradable smart phones starting from the second or third quarter of 2012. The detailed schedule and relevant models will be determined based on discussions with the carriers in each market.
ws: will it be ota or upgradeable through the website?
Mike P: Yes, via our mobile support tool.
ws: so the update to ics will be in august or september for the 2x?
Mike P: That's correct
 
FatalityBoyZahy
Old
#44  
FatalityBoyZahy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 511
Posts: 2,640
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Twentynine Palms, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius View Post
Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.
I was gonna use CM9 anyways

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
Current Device
Google Nexus 5 32GB - 4.4.3 STOCK ROOTED
Lenovo Y510P - Core i7 4700MQ - 16GB RAM - nVidia 750M SLI - 1TB HDD


Previous Devices
Google Nexus 4 - 16GB
T-Mobile LG G2x
Samsung Galaxy S4G
T-Mobile MyTouch 3G
Amazon Kindle Fire 2
Late 2009 White Unibody MacBook


Be sure to hit the Thanks button if I have helped you in any way!
 
nitrogen618
Old
#45  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 962
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind_hassan View Post
For what its worth, I just talked to an LG Canada rep and asked about the gingerbread update for Wind mobile and was informed that ICS will be released in august or september.

Mike P: Hello, ws. Can I help you with anything today?
ws: Hi, just wondering if there is a an android gingerbread update available for the optimus 2x from wind mobile available yet.
Mike P: Unfortunately not at the moment.
ws: any idea when?
Mike P: Broadly speaking, the ICS OS upgrade will be available on LGs upgradable smart phones starting from the second or third quarter of 2012. The detailed schedule and relevant models will be determined based on discussions with the carriers in each market.
ws: will it be ota or upgradeable through the website?
Mike P: Yes, via our mobile support tool.
ws: so the update to ics will be in august or september for the 2x?
Mike P: That's correct
Sometimes, those CSR have no idea what they're saying, of course they can be right.
 
DJSave
Old
#46  
DJSave's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 308
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tbilisi
With our great ROM devs I'm sure we'll get 99% working ICS ROM-s when O2X gets it
So I'm not worried at all only 2 month to go
 
lotherius
Old
#47  
lotherius's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 590
Posts: 2,050
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSave View Post
With our great ROM devs I'm sure we'll get 99% working ICS ROM-s when O2X gets it
So I'm not worried at all only 2 month to go
I'll get back to you in 2 months and see how that worked out

QuizUp

Device Details:
 

PHONE: Nexus 5 - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 1: 2013 Nexus 7 LTE - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 2: 2012 Nexus 7 - Stock / Xposed / F2FS
PREVIOUS PHONES: Nexus 4 / LG G2X / Vibrant 3G / MyTouch 3G / LG Xenon / HTC G1 / HTC Touch Vogue / Sanyo KATANA / Motorola V220 / Nokia 5160 / Tin Can
PREVIOUS TABLET: HP TouchPad CM10.x
COMPUTER: Self-Built - Core i5 4670, 8GB DDR3, 240gb M500 SSD, OMFG Terabytes (7 TB last count), stuffed in a 2008 Dell XPS 730 case with a 27" AOC Monitor.
Google Plus
 
hackmeister69
Old
#48  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2010
Not holding my breath for an official ICS ROM from t-mobile. Rooted my phone and just trying to figure out which ICS custom ROM to install. Gingerbread will be gone by the end of the day from my phone.
 
defconoi
Old
#49  
defconoi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1077
Posts: 1,844
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SCHUYLKILL HAVEN

 
DONATE TO ME
I had my vibrant replaced with a g2x and Latoya from online chat spoke to a android technician and confirmed that there will be no T-Mobile ics update for the g2x when I had asked. If we get updated it won't be through T-Mobile. We might have to rely on lg or a port of an o2x ics rom. At this point we should write to nvidia to provide binary gpu drivers like qualcomm did with the sgs 2.

Don't take my word for it. Either call T-Mobile retention or a tmo technician

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
Like my work? Consider donating.
 
NekoNyapii
Old
#50  
NekoNyapii's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 230
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen618 View Post
Sometimes, those CSR have no idea what they're saying, of course they can be right.
Kinda scary sometimes when you can't trust those people, even though they're suppose to be all knowing, but again, they could be taught to lie.
Current Device: iPhone 4S (White)
Current ROM: Not Applicable
Current Kernel: Not Applicable

Previous phones: iPhone 4 ---> Galaxy S 4g ---> HTC Sensation ---> LG G2x ---> iPhone 4S(current)



I want to kiss you.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes