Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Improve your battery life

Tip us?

tacosrdelicioso
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by s197 View Post
I don't see it as flaming, he's refuting his claims with well reasoned arguments. Not everyone wishes to follow like blind sheep, I for one am glad to hear an opposing argument when it is well presented as his.
I guess. Great mod still

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25431

DONATE TO ME
Let's remember that the OP is trying to help users. As every phone is different, it might not help all. But let's keep it kind and friendly and offer constructive criticisms at most, help at best. Thanks for making XDA the best!
FNM

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

That Baker Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by _thalamus View Post
Oh dear. The above is from your first post.

And here are the facts:

A kernel panic occurs when something goes horribly wrong within the kernel, which OOM doesn't necessarily cause unless vm.panic_on_oom is set to 1. A kernel panic can be caused by various things.

The kernel.panic tunable sets a timeout for an automatic reboot after a panic. It does *not* stop the kernel from panicking! If the kernel is going to panic, it *will* panic, there is nothing you can do to stop it as it is a last resort when there is an unrecoverable error.

So, with your tweak, if the kernel panics due to a hardware problem or a bug, the device will not reboot automatically and would simply be stuck there, frozen solid until the user pulls the battery. How unbelievably useless that is for a mobile telephone! How on *earth* could that be a performance improvement?

Also, seeing as you mention OOM, it happens that OOM is highly unlikely to be invoked on Android as Android has it's own low memory killer driver which kicks in to manage memory usage long before the OOM killer does. I have never seen OOM invoked on Android. OOM is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, which is why the Android team wrote their own, more finely grained implementation.

Seriously though, a bit of advice, learn about the tweaks you are doing, the advantages and drawbacks and if it is actually any use at all preferably *before* making yourself 'popular' by releasing it on XDA with a bold claim in the title, otherwise someone like me, *will* come along and debunk the myth that it does anything useful...

I've said my piece now and I won't reply again, because it's become old rather quickly and further replies on my part would be foolish and counter productive, as this one probably is, but what the hell.

The users can make the choice between taking the advice of someone who knows about kernels and maintains several, or someone who has put a bunch of tweaks together in a script and doesn't understand most of them.

Good evening.
peace* FTFY
d2vzw PA
tf300t cm-10.2
nook color cm-10.2

Gfrt94yn
Old
Thanks Meter 13
interesting find... i installed the zip provided, except i think now its out of date ( i don't think i was working anyway...) now whenever i flash the updated zip (as of may 3) and i get the abort (0) bad error or whatever, which probably meant a corrupted file. Anyway I used terminal emulator to check and make sure everything stuck and i believe it did, but my phone was messing up so i performed a CLEAN wipe and got it all started back again. This time, however, I manually pushed the script (overwrite sysctl.conf and there was already a 10sysctl file in the init.d directory of /system/ect). Except the strange part is now when i manually try to enable or even just check to see if everything stuck, terminal doesn't even recognize the commands:
"sysctl -p" or "sysctl -a| grep vm" anymore... any ideas on how to fix?
Oh also i'm on a SGS2 Skyrocket running seans ICS (leaked)

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 915

DONATE TO ME
Since this mod came out, and actually way before, i have been doing some heavy research on sysctl tweaking. In my research and testing i have found that messing with most of these settings only cause issues and performance drops. I have found a combination of settings which seem to work best for me. The phone seems snappier and battery life slightly better. I have created a flashable zip with these settings if anyone else would like to try them. I make no guarantees or inflated claims, just that this is what works best for me running a mostly stock rom on the incredible with the latest gingertiny kernel and also v6 supercharger. This flashable should also fix the issue some are having with the sysctl -p and sysctl grep commands not working thru the terminal emulator, or activating sysctl.

http://dinc.does-it.net/Mods/sysctl_...072012_001.zip
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmlusco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pk2018
Old
Thanks Meter 3
in the sysctl_conf.zip from 1 floor

kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold=256
kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold=128
kernel.panic=5
kernel.sched_compat_yield=1
kernel.panic=0
kernel.panic_on_oops=1

?????
打酱油滴的班子 FLYING across......

Hero
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4786

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2018 View Post
in the sysctl_conf.zip from 1 floor

kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold=256
kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold=128
kernel.panic=5
kernel.sched_compat_yield=1
kernel.panic=0
kernel.panic_on_oops=1

?????
Use kernel.panic=0
The Following User Says Thank You to Hero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4022
Fyi

Kernel.panic=0 will prevent a reboot on a kernel panic instead it will freeze and a battery pull is needed to recover it. The default on Android is 5. I don't like this setting of 0 mainly as it will make diagnosing a kernel reboot more difficult as it won't produce a reboot and last_kmsg.

I've only looked into this one setting so I won't comment on anything else.

It does not prevent a kernel panic at all. Kernel.panic=0 is the default on Linux but its not really suited for mobile devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muellersmattes
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Wow, it's always great to see how people can use full quotes just to write some lame fck u under posts they don't like. Congrats Mr Baker Guy, you are the greatest ten year old in this forum.
Found something helpful? Press "Thanks"!

LG Nexus 5
Unlocked - stock rom

LG Optimus 4X HD
Unlocked - retired with JB 4.3
The Optimus 4X Index - Guides, ROMs, MODs, etc.!

HTC Desire
PVT1-S-Off - retired with ICS
HBOOT cm7r2
Phone history: Sony CD-5 -> Siemens SL10 -> Sharp GX-10 -> Sony V600 -> HTC Desire -> LG Optimus 4X HD -> LG Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to muellersmattes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdadevelopers-user
Old
Thanks Meter 74
A new record for me. This is with the stock battery no less.

-xdadevelopers-user
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-07_08-24-56.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1046563   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-07_08-25-01.jpg
Views:	2168
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1046564  

THREAD CLOSED