[GUIDE] another way to increase data partition size (non-dualboot)
having a 750mb for data partition like in my previous post seems interesting for everyone. however, make a 2nd rom isn't easy for everyone. there are some people who can't download a rom, which makes dualboot mod useless for them. well...I want to share the joy of having a bigger data partition, so I modify a kernel to enable 2nd ext3 sdcard partition as data partition. for now on lets call this mod **data-2sd**. the steps is quite easy.
1. download a modified kernel from here
2. rename the file to 'boot.img'.
3. repartition your sdcard. all partition is primary. 1st partition fat32. 2nd partition ext3. adjust the partition size to any size you want.
1. install the kernel
2. make a blank file named 'bootsdcard' in your root sdcard
3. reboot your device.
1. this kernel is made based on irfanbagus's kernel. (credits for him)
2. if you already have 2nd partition in your sdcard, please reformat it.
3. don't use link2sd or a2sd.
4. clean you init.d folder (optional)
5. you'll need a fast sdcard for best result. our default sdcard is too slow.
well...thanks for irfanbagus who has make a dualboot kernel for us. as I have said, I modify the kernel based on his work. the modified script is not an efficient one. I have to admit that. feel free to edit the kernel if you don't satisfy with my work.
btw, I realize that not everyone want to use sdcard's 2nd partition, especially when their sdcard is slow and they have to wait till they have enough money to buy a faster one. well...you don't have to uninstall this kernel since I've made an option to turn off data-2sd feature simply by delete 'bootsdcard' from your sdcard. now, it will act as stock DXLC stock kernel with init.d support. when you already have a fast sdcard you can turn on data-2sd feature again by make 'bootsdcard' file in your sdcard.
do it with your own risk. no need to thanks or press it. I'm just a noob. give that to the original dev instead.
KNOWN ROM INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUE
please read this before install this kernel. these roms are reported to incompatible with this kernel. some user said it work, but some other said it doesn't work in these rom. to minimilize the risk, I'll list all reported incompatibility issue with my kernel.[/b]
1. chobits digital v1.8 and v2
2. m.u.r (merruk ultimate rom) v1
please inform me if you got another incompatibility issue with other custom rom[/quote]
if your rom incompatible with this kernel you may try this guide to increase your /data partition as well. you'll need a kernel with init.d support to use this method. please read carefully before modify your system.
1. go to system/etc/init.d
2. delete all a2sd and link2sd related stuff
3. create a new file named 01data2sd. put this script inside it
mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data
4. set the permission to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)
5. open your terminal manager. type these command.
mount -t ext3 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sd-ext
note: its blk-zero-p-two, not blk-O-p2
6. via root explorer go to /data.
7. copy all stuff in /data into /data/sdext.
8. open terminal manager. type these command.
9. restart your device.
if you got bootloop, via adb, type these command
mount -o remount rw /system
chmod 222 /system/etc/init.d/*
KNOWN ISSUE: gps not working.
NOTE: the bug is a lil bit annoying for several person. if you want a BETTER-FASTER-BUGLESS-BATTERY FRIENDLY method to save your internal memory, you can use my akuro tweak.
TERM OF USE AND SHARING:
this thread intent is for sharing. feel free to use, edit, distribute all material inside this thread which came from me. if there any parts of this mod which comes not from me please refer to the original dev I've mentioned in this thread. if want to share it to another forum or modify it you don't have to ask my permission. no need to credits, put links or whatsoever. you'll only need to remember that you should held all the responsibility by using this mod, modify it or distribute it. DO IT WITH YOUR OWN RISK
1. FLash your ROM/CUSTOM ROM
2. Delete the scripts in data/system/init.d via Root Explorer.
3. Make a file name "bootsdcard" in root directory of your sdcard.
Question : What file? .txt? .exe?
4. Flash the Kernel via Odin or other methods.
5. Reboot your device.
So now all my apps are on my SD? or all futured apps are on it?
for the second question...this mod will change your data partition to 2nd sdcard ext3 partition. its completely different with a2sd or link2sd since it won't move any installed app in your device. your previous app will remain in your original data partition. when you activate the feature and reboot your phone, it would be like when you turn on the device for the first time.
If there is one application category that certainly isn’t lacking in Android,and … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?