Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 40,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[app]Make Your Own Android Browser!!

Tip us?

buildyourbrowser
Old
(Last edited by buildyourbrowser; 1st May 2012 at 07:35 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Smile [app]Make Your Own Android Browser!!

Hello guys,

Have you guys thought about making your own Android web browser? Now you can do it in just a few clicks!!

You can customize your own browser icon, browser name, default homepage, default skin/theme, and your own splash screen!!! Much more customizations will be coming in the near future.

Don't wait, make your own Android browser now at:
http://custom.maxthon.com/android/makeyourbrowser/

4/29
UPDATE: we're working on providing more customization options for the browser. Guys, how would you like to customize your browser? Let us know.

Check out my self-made Panda Browser

About Page

Phone Desktop

Browser Splash Screen
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to buildyourbrowser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrTaco505
Old
Thanks Meter 103
This is amazing!

buildyourbrowser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Check it out

keith456
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
very nice idea , if there were something like this but to mke a music player that would be great ....i dont use the browser on my phone much

buildyourbrowser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
what other apps would you like to customize? music player and??

waylaidwanderer
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Won't it be possible for people to make their own browser and sell it? They could just edit out anything that mentions Maxthon...

Sent from my GT-I9100

MrTaco505
Old
Thanks Meter 103
I think it would be best to customize the music player and gallery app

- Swift -
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 800

DONATE TO ME
This is good, but it also means the Market is going to get flooded with themed Maxthon browsers.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium
GOOGLE Nexus 4
GOOGLE Nexus 7 (2013)

---
Devices:

The Following User Says Thank You to - Swift - For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kmanilpillai
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the information...

Dark Reality
Old
(Last edited by Dark Reality; 28th April 2012 at 10:51 AM.) Reason: um... had more to say and didn't want to double post? haha
Thanks Meter 183
This is neat. I just nicked an icon off Google, as well as a wallpaper, which I added text to in MS Paint. I call my browser "Reality Web".

Does anybody have any opinions on the Maxthon browser itself?

//edit: I actually like the browser. It's faster than Opera Mobile. That isn't saying much, Opera is not a fast browser. It just does a lot and doesn't have many faults.

Some pictures won't load. This could contribute to the speed. I opened a 4chan board, which is a good test because the captcha usually screws up most mobile browsers. They just hang until it loads, then the whole page displays at once. It's a good benchmark. Surprisingly, my customized Maxthon just loaded it all up, and quick, including all the images. I was impressed. Next I went to How-To Geek. Some image thumbnails from articles did not load.

The browser has a lot of options. If you were on the fence about themes, you can actually download the others, so you can switch that. You can also change the home page. The customized browser is 2.21MB, though that may depend on the splash screen. I just used a JPEG; a PNG might make it bigger. But back to the options, you have your user agent changer, a privacy mode, the usual stuff, and even gestures (which I hate, but some like, and I still regard it as an advanced feature).

Couple gripes: 1, closing the last tab doesn't open Home, it opens this quick access tab, like Opera's speed dial, or Chrome's. There are a couple entries that don't need to be there, but that's also true for Opera. 2, hitting Home opens it in a new tab, not the current one.

All in all I like it, and I may set it as my default, primarily so when other apps (e.g. Facebook or baconreader, the Reddit app I use) call the browser, they call a fast one. At the very least, this is a decent browser worth your consideration. That you can customize it is just icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishStuff09
This is good, but it also means the Market is going to get flooded with themed Maxthon browsers.
I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think it's free to put something on the Market. Besides, free software being resold or with ads tacked on tends to get blasted pretty hard in the comments. And if Maxthon cares that people are selling these, they have recourse, I'm sure. I don't think your concern is without warrant, but it doesn't really concern me.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / Stock/rooted