5,599,911 Members 45,944 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[XAP|Source] Marketplace Config - Easily change marketplace settings

Tip us?

ken52787
Old
(Last edited by ken52787; 7th June 2012 at 01:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default [XAP|Source] Marketplace Config - Easily change marketplace settings

Here is an app I made to quickly and easily change marketplace settings. Similar apps exist already, but this one has a few features I've not seen in the other ones. This project was more of a way for me to learn about homebrew dev, but it resulted in a useful program so nothing wrong with that

Source
This app is open source. It is hosted on Google Code. If anyone would like to help contribute, PM me and we'll discuss getting you added.

What you can do
  • Change OEM marketplace - You can choose from any of the 8 OEM stores, or view a combined market with all 8 at the same time.
  • Change MO marketplace - I'm working on getting as many as possible included. The app will ask kindly to submit if yours is a new one.
  • Change the maximum file size cap over 3g - Download larger apps and podcasts over 3G without needing a wifi connection
  • Lock the settings - Prevents your settings from reverting back in a day or two when the marketplace updates itself

Who can run this?
You need a root unlock. So either a full unlock or WP7 Root Tools with this app marked as Trusted.

Changelog
  • Beta 2.0.3 - 6/7/12 - Going off of the error reports I received from yesterday's release, I added better error handling to hopefully alleviate those problems.
  • Beta 2.0.2 - 6/6/12 - Added a better error handler. Users are now prompted with the option to submit bug reports, so I may better track down issues.
  • Beta 2.0.1 - 6/4/12 - Fixed a bug that would cause the app to crash if no MO store was configured on the device. The app also informs you if it's not set to Trusted in WP7 Root Tools.
  • Beta 2 - 5/31/12 - After spending too much time working on a rewrite, the next beta is ready. I've changed a ton of things under the hood, but the big new feature is viewing all OEM markets at the same time. I've also released the source as of this version, though I am not speaking for it's quality. Some parts are more polished than others.
  • Beta 1.4 - 5/2/12 - Added a few new mobile operators. Added country flags to MO selection screen. Fixed more crashed.
  • Beta 1.3 - 5/1/12 - Added a slew of new mobile operators, along with an option to remove it (for contract-free phones, direct from OEM, etc)
  • Beta 1.2 - 4/29/12 - Fixed crashing bug. Added Telekom MO (thanks contable). Added OEM logos.
  • Beta 1.1 - 4/28/12 - Removed device spoofing (it can break DRM, thanks for the heads up GoodDayToDie). Added Sprint MO.
  • Beta 1 - 4/28/12 - Initial release

Thanks to
  • Heathcliff74 for the wonderful WP7 Root Tools SDK
  • GoodDayToDie for his homebrew efforts, which I use for file IO
  • balcsida for providing new icons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Capture-2.jpg
Views:	3182
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1097632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Capture-3.jpg
Views:	2795
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1097633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Capture-4.jpg
Views:	2366
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1097634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Capture-1.jpg
Views:	2736
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1097635  
Attached Files
File Type: xap MarketplaceConfig-beta1.4.xap - [Click for QR Code] (655.4 KB, 3567 views)
File Type: xap MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.xap - [Click for QR Code] (1,004.7 KB, 758 views)
File Type: xap MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.1.xap - [Click for QR Code] (1,004.9 KB, 702 views)
File Type: xap MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.3.xap - [Click for QR Code] (1,005.2 KB, 9960 views)
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to ken52787 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xconomicron
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
It doesn't launch on my Titan...so it will probably need a higher level of unlock than a Dev unlock.
Hermes>HTC TyTN 8525 -WM 5.0
Kaiser>HTC TyTN II 8925 -TPC Mega v11-Retired + (OMICRON) ROM -Retired
Rhodium>AT&T Tilt 2 -Energy ROM + Personal ROM (OMICRONRom) -Retired
Eternity>AT&T Titan -Personal ROM (AdamBomB v4.1)

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
You'll need "root" unlock, meaning either full-unlock or WP7 Root Tools and the app marked as "Trusted".

@ken52787: Very cool! I was actually working on something very much like this. Would you mind sharing your source code? If I can merge what I was working on into what you've already got, that would be great.

One very big concern, though: changing the OEM name in DeviceTargetingInfo (which is what I assume you're doing to make apps like Nokia Drive work) is extremely dangerous. Although I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is (suggestions have been things like leaving it changed for more than 24 hours, or changing it more than 5 times), changing that value can permanently break the Marketplace DRM on your phone. All your Marketplace apps will stop launching, and you won't be able to install more. The only solution we know of is a hard-reset or a restore point; returning the registry value to the original OEM name does not help.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

ken52787
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
You'll need "root" unlock, meaning either full-unlock or WP7 Root Tools and the app marked as "Trusted".

@ken52787: Very cool! I was actually working on something very much like this. Would you mind sharing your source code? If I can merge what I was working on into what you've already got, that would be great.

One very big concern, though: changing the OEM name in DeviceTargetingInfo (which is what I assume you're doing to make apps like Nokia Drive work) is extremely dangerous. Although I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is (suggestions have been things like leaving it changed for more than 24 hours, or changing it more than 5 times), changing that value can permanently break the Marketplace DRM on your phone. All your Marketplace apps will stop launching, and you won't be able to install more. The only solution we know of is a hard-reset or a restore point; returning the registry value to the original OEM name does not help.
Yikes! I was not aware of this. I took that out and reupped the xap.

And yes, I'll share the source soon, I just want to clean it up a bit first since it's rather sloppy at the moment :P

life25ak
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken52787 View Post
Here is an app I made to quickly and easily change marketplace settings. Similar apps exist already, but this one has a few features I've not seen in the other ones. This project was more of a way for me to learn about homebrew dev, but it resulted in a useful program so nothing wrong with that

The initial beta is a little rough around the edges, but should be stable. Please report any oddities you notice and provide feedback and suggestions.

What you can do
  • Change OEM marketplace - Included are Acer, Dell, Fujitsu, HTC, LG, Nokia, Samsung, and ZTE (although only HTC, LG, Nokia, and Samsung have accessible marketplaces)
  • Change MO marketplace - Included are AT&T, Orange, Sprint, and Verizon (I had a hard time finding other marketplaces. If you are on a carrier other than these, please send me your settings so I can include them, the program will automate this for you with your permission)
  • Change the maximum file size cap over 3g - Download larger apps and podcasts over 3G without needing a wifi connection
  • Lock the settings - Prevents your settings from reverting back in a day or two when the marketplace updates itself

Who can run this?
You need a root unlock. So either a full unlock or WP7 Root Tools with this app marked as Trusted.

Changelog
  • Beta 1.1 - 4/28/12 - Removed device spoofing (it can break DRM, thanks for the heads up GoodDayToDie). Added Sprint MO.
  • Beta 1 - 4/28/12 - Initial release

Thanks to
  • Heathcliff74 for the wonderful WP7 Root Tools SDK
  • GoodDayToDie for his homebrew efforts, which I use for file IO
not working with my mozart?

ken52787
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by life25ak View Post
not working with my mozart?
What kind of unlock do you have?

sh4d0w86
Old
Thanks Meter 790

DONATE TO ME
curious... why are XAPs being posted in this sub-forum when their is a WP7 Software Development sub-forum?

nice looking app, though. curious as to how you 'locked' the Market.
would love to add that into my version of this app, Market Select.
if you found me helpful, click the thanks button or consider donating.
for quick & efficient replies, ask in a related forum rather then PM'ing.

schubert links. xspl tutorial. shipped roms. radios.
current devices. goldc. eternity. leo. lumia 710. lumia 810. mondrian. mozart.
applications. device reset. device volume. ie fav backup. market select.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
The Software Development sub-forum always seemsed more focused on general app development rather than tweaks to the OS. Last time I was reading that forum, it seemed like it was mostly stuff using the official APIs, too. Maybe I should start reading it again, though...

You can lock in changes to Marketplace configurations by setting read-only on the XML files.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
@OP: Thanks for the quick fix, and you're welcome for the tip! The 1.1 version works well on my phone. Two (related) suggestions, though:
1: The messageboxes the pop up at first run block the UI from loading. If the UI doesn't load within a few seconds (10 or so) the OS will kill the app. You may want to cause them to pop up on a delay or something...
2: There's no option to send your MO (or OEM) files after the initial messagebox prompt. I'd like to send you the T-Mobile US files (not that the TMoUS apps are super-exciting) but the app was killed on me before I could click it! I can go pull them off the filesystem manually, of course...

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:

contable
Old
Thanks Meter 885

DONATE TO ME
Thx for this app.

I have sent you the settings for Telekom Germany (T-Mobile DE), would be nice if you could add them...

Tags
xap