Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 41,617 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooted with custom rom cant activate to new number

Tip us?

saw429
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] rooted with custom rom cant activate to new number

I left sprint recently sold my phone with it rooted and and a patched ota rom on it. The guy went to get it activated and they couldn't get it done, said it was freezing up, sprint rep knew it was rooted, and said it needs to be back to stock unrooted???? Is this true? Anybody know?

YoungCorruptionV2.0
Old
Thanks Meter 551
Any time you take your phone to sprint ALWAYS UNROOT. They can tag the account. You should of unrooted before selling the phone

Sent from my PG06100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Young Corruption's Music is BACK!!!
NEW
Take me away Song ends at 3:05. It will never cut where i want it to O.o makes the songs freaky because of that

Break Free

Oldish
True Story <-- did it more like an Alter-Ego type of song

Better Than Beyond(Cypher)<--- just submitted

Going Ham Featuring Gibbsy

I don't always ask for a THANKS, but when I do, I ask you to only hit it when I've helped you

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6581
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw429 View Post
I left sprint recently sold my phone with it rooted and and a patched ota rom on it. The guy went to get it activated and they couldn't get it done, said it was freezing up, sprint rep knew it was rooted, and said it needs to be back to stock unrooted???? Is this true? Anybody know?
They were probably trying to get into the Activation Menu in ESPT. If they could not get it to work, that would be a clue that the phone was Rooted. But as mentioned in the post above. As a Rule of Thumb, never sell a phone Rooted. Also never take a phone into a Sprint store for any type of Tech work if it's Rooted. They can and most times do Flag the account. Not what you want. After that any phone issues you run into they may try to claim it's because your device is rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to prboy1969 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saw429
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks I put it back to stock.

I didn't realize a rooted phone would not allow you to get into the "Activation Menu in ESPT"

You can get more money some times for rooted phones, but i guess not with Sprint. My bro sold a SGSII rooted for T-mobile for big bucks, but i guess with sim cards, it makes it easy.

Is the "Rule of Thumb" to return phones back to stock before selling for Sprint and Verizon phones only?

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6581
I'm sorry, I didn't properly explain. Rooting doesn't affect if you can get into ESPT or not. Rooted phones can still use ESPT without issue. But it does depend on the Rom on the phone. But yes as a " Rule of Thumb " , if the device is going to be Sold or taken in for service. No matter who the person, or carrier is it's always better if it's Unrooted.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Bfitz26
Old
Thanks Meter 349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw429 View Post
Thanks I put it back to stock.

I didn't realize a rooted phone would not allow you to get into the "Activation Menu in ESPT"

You can get more money some times for rooted phones, but i guess not with Sprint. My bro sold a SGSII rooted for T-mobile for big bucks, but i guess with sim cards, it makes it easy.

Is the "Rule of Thumb" to return phones back to stock before selling for Sprint and Verizon phones only?
Yup when i sold my epic a few months back that was a huge issue trying to get it activiated if rooted, i always take it to a third part store like spring wireless it's possible to activate mine did eventually but took like a hour in half.. but verizon all you do is put a sim in activate and done...

Dread 7us
Old
(Last edited by Dread 7us; 18th May 2012 at 04:23 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1111

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfitz26 View Post
Yup when i sold my epic a few months back that was a huge issue trying to get it activiated if rooted, i always take it to a third part store like spring wireless it's possible to activate mine did eventually but took like a hour in half.. but verizon all you do is put a sim in activate and done...
Not to be rude but Verizon uses CDMA (like Sprint excluding Nextel products that use iDEN). Verizon phones domestically do not use sim cards. The only CDMA phones that use sim cards are dual mode international phones (the sim card is only used for GSM networks abroad). AT&T and T-mobile use sim cards domestically (GSM) so maybe one of those?

Sent from my PG06100 using xda premium

The Following User Says Thank You to Dread 7us For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nullstring2
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread 7us View Post
Not to be rude but Verizon uses CDMA (like Sprint excluding Nextel products that use iDEN). Verizon phones domestically do not use sim cards. The only CDMA phones that use sim cards are dual mode international phones (the sim card is only used for GSM networks abroad). AT&T and T-mobile use sim cards domestically (GSM) so maybe one of those?

Sent from my PG06100 using xda premium
Thats not entirely true. LTE uses sim cards. Any Verizon phones with 4G will have a sim card.

drob311
Old
Thanks Meter 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullstring2 View Post
Thats not entirely true. LTE uses sim cards. Any Verizon phones with 4G will have a sim card.
A sim card that is ONLY used to connect to 4G, not 3G (CDMA)...

Sent from my PG06100
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drob311 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mij9895
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob311 View Post
A sim card that is ONLY used to connect to 4G, not 3G (CDMA)...

Sent from my PG06100
Actually, from what I have read on the internet, Verizon LTE SIM cards are tied to activation of 3G CDMA on LTE equipped phones. I don't know how they did it, though. Also, I heard that Verizon LTE devices have the PRL loaded on the SIM card making it nearly impossible to flash a different PRL onto the phone. I even heard that Sprint is doing that with their LTE phones.
Phone: iPhone 5 on Sprint (White 32GB)

Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Stock Android 4.2.1 with extended battery & HTC Evo Shift 4G currently running Supreme Sense v-XII

Computer: MacBook Pro Mid-2009 @2.26GHz running Mac OS X Lion 10.8.2 with 4GB RAM & 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive

For information on Network Vision and Sprint's LTE roll-out, visit S4GRU