Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,741 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How many would you say..

Tip us?

stevie13.xo
Old
(Last edited by stevie13.xo; 29th April 2012 at 08:18 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Default How many would you say..

How many nand writes does the epic have roughly.. and what would happen if you stumbled across the last write and then tried to flash it again

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

tinslwc
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Probably in the thousands (or 10s of thousands). It should also have wear leveling which means that you would actually have to write the entire 1GB NAND 10s of thousands of times to 'wear it out'. 10,000 writes would mean writing 10TB to the NAND memory, accounting for wear leveling. There is not a specific limit, it will just start to have corrupted data. There is also some unused (spare, if you will) memory that can be used to replace bad spots as they come up.

Remember, everytime you download an app, or anything that writes to the /data directory, you are writing to the NAND memory.

Long story short, I highly doubt you will ever start to wear out the NAND memory of the phone. If the average ROM is 130MB, 10TB / 130 MB = 77,000 ROM flashes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinslwc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

‹BERô
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8923

DONATE TO ME
Wow thanks for the info

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
Nexus 5: Paranoid RastaKat / Faux123
Nexus 7 FHD: Paranoid RastKat / Faux123

masaidjet
Old
Thanks Meter 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinslwc View Post
Probably in the thousands (or 10s of thousands). It should also have wear leveling which means that you would actually have to write the entire 1GB NAND 10s of thousands of times to 'wear it out'. 10,000 writes would mean writing 10TB to the NAND memory, accounting for wear leveling. There is not a specific limit, it will just start to have corrupted data. There is also some unused (spare, if you will) memory that can be used to replace bad spots as they come up.

Remember, everytime you download an app, or anything that writes to the /data directory, you are writing to the NAND memory.

Long story short, I highly doubt you will ever start to wear out the NAND memory of the phone. If the average ROM is 130MB, 10TB / 130 MB = 77,000 ROM flashes.

Damn, I only 2 rom flashes left

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to masaidjet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stevie13.xo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Take it account that their 130 mb compressed..

The Following User Says Thank You to stevie13.xo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tinslwc
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie13.xo View Post
Take it account that their 130 mb compressed..

True. So might take a few off my initial estimate.