Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,599 Members 38,678 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No sound from speaker on Lumia 900

Tip us?
 
sitizenx
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 322
Join Date: Dec 2007
Question No sound from speaker on Lumia 900

My Lumia 900 was working fine then all of a sudden it didn't make any sound even with volume 30/30. Looking back I believe it started after I disconnected a car audio cable. I eventually tried some headphones. I removed the headphones and again nothing. I also used an audio cable for my car. After removing it the built in speaker sound was back. I thought the phone was fine but a few days later the same thing happened again. I tried the car audio cable and the sound did not come back. I tried some headphones and the sound came back. Totally random and very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to exchange my phone.

If I exchange my phone do they wipe it while you are in the store?
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.
 
jimski
Old
#2  
jimski's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 550
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Are you plugging/unplugging the cables/phones while music is playing? There is some kind of quirky circuit in WP that will pause/mute sound when you plug something in while playing. Have seen this happen on both my Surround and L900. Try plugging/unplugging when music is paused and see what happens. Also, if you are using any kind of case, make sure the audio jack is fully seated.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 - Black - OS; 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

AT&T HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
 
sitizenx
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 322
Join Date: Dec 2007
Thumbs up I'll try your suggestion and report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski View Post
Are you plugging/unplugging the cables/phones while music is playing? There is some kind of quirky circuit in WP that will pause/mute sound when you plug something in while playing. Have seen this happen on both my Surround and L900. Try plugging/unplugging when music is paused and see what happens. Also, if you are using any kind of case, make sure the audio jack is fully seated.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Awesome. Thanks. I'll pay attention to what I'm doing the next time and see if your suggestion helps. I just don't want to exchange the phone if there isn't a reason to.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.
 
arcspeak
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Possible jack problem

Alternatively, though, it could be a bad jack that makes only marginal physical contact when a plug is removed. If so, you have little to worry about with a warranty exchange. Just make sure you've sync'ed your phone to Zune on your PC, and your contacts/calendar to an Exchange or Windows Live account. You can wipe your phone yourself under Settings/About/More/Reset. About the only elements that won't be retained for a new phone once you've set up those Live and Exchange accounts are contact groups, settings, and old SMS messages.
_______
arcspeak
Nokia Lumia 900 OS 7.10.8112.7, Firmware 2175.1002.8112.12084
LG Quantum C900 - ATT; Interop unlocked, RootTools policy unlocked; OS 7.10.7720.68, Firmware 1.1.6.10
 
tfn
Old
#5  
tfn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 612
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitizenx View Post
My Lumia 900 was working fine then all of a sudden it didn't make any sound even with volume 30/30. Looking back I believe it started after I disconnected a car audio cable. I eventually tried some headphones. I removed the headphones and again nothing. I also used an audio cable for my car. After removing it the built in speaker sound was back. I thought the phone was fine but a few days later the same thing happened again. I tried the car audio cable and the sound did not come back. I tried some headphones and the sound came back. Totally random and very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to exchange my phone.

If I exchange my phone do they wipe it while you are in the store?

Just wanted to know whether you managed to sort your problem out ?


Having the same problem on one day old lumia, but found that I press the edge of the glass between the windows logo and search button the sound returns.

I believe there is a loose connection at the bottom of the screen with regards to the sound speaker

Are you getting an ID-10-T error when you try to do that?
Write that down: ID10T


http://goangeek.wordpress.com/

SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 - 4.0.3 - The one that keeps me going

HTC HD 7 - Mango 7.5 - The sexy mistress that keeps me coming back for more

HTC HERO - Retired Rooted and lying in a corner
 
sitizenx
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 322
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfn View Post
Just wanted to know whether you managed to sort your problem out ?


Having the same problem on one day old lumia, but found that I press the edge of the glass between the windows logo and search button the sound returns.

I believe there is a loose connection at the bottom of the screen with regards to the sound speaker
Sorry. Swapped phones because of purple screen. Sound did come back. Not sure what actually worked.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.
 
CodyNunes
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jun 2012
My four day old Lumia did the same thing. I would press on the bottom of the phone and sound did come back while I was holding it. I slapped the back of the Lumia against my thigh (near the speaker) and sound came back. I am definitely taking it back soon.
Nokia Lumia 900 (WP 7.5)
Samsung Focus S (WP 7.5)
HTC HD7S (WP 7)
Samsung BlackJack (WinMo 6.1 FTW!)
 
VSolis
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2006
I had the same problem w/my Lumia 900. I chopped off the end of a cotton swap (the kind with the paper shaft) and dipped it into some alcohol. I inserted the beheaded swab into the headphone jack and twisted it around slowly and eventually the speaker started working. I guess it though I still had headphones plugged into it and it muted the speakers.
 
bigwavesurfer4
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 47
Join Date: Sep 2010
bump. i'm having this same issue. Wish I would've read thsi before hand as the car headphone connector was in my friend's car. any more ways to work around this?
 
bigwavesurfer4
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 47
Join Date: Sep 2010
Just called AT&T...they're sending a replacement phone. It's frustrating though because I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software defect. I would hate if in a year when my warranty expires, I do the same thing on accident and can't get it replaced. I couldn't even receive calls with the phone after plugging it into the car audio. So hopefully this thread will be a good warning to anyone with a lumia not to plug it into the car stereo unless you want your speakers to blow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Try to Keep Up with Just Swipe Game

Sometimes, the simplest of games are the ones that end up beingthe most addictive and end up consuming … more

MultiROM Ported to the Moto E

Few categoriesof Android development are as intrinsically interestingas the ability to boot into multiple … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Control Google Play Wake Locks – XDA Developer TV

Xposed Modules are usually pretty simple. There are a few … more

Make Text Entry More Efficient with Macro Text Expansion

One of the best things about the modern day smartphone is its ability to save us … more