Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 44,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 100% Drained Lumia 900 Battery Will Not ReCharge

Tip us?

stevebor1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Exclamation [Q] 100% Drained Lumia 900 Battery Will Not ReCharge

Yesterday I let my Lumia battery drain 100%, disregarding the warning that it was critically low. Eventually the screen no longer accepted touch gestures and it shutdown.

I plugged it into the wall charger and it now continuously boots, keys light up, white screen comes on and the charging battery (red) is displayed. A couple of minutes later it goes black, the Nokia logo comes up, then it sits on the At&t splash screen for 5 minutes and reboots. It has been doing this non-stop all night.

I have tried different chargers and even connected to my laptop. no luck.

I noticed on Nokia's site, people have been having this problem too, even with the 800. There is a few suggestions, but no solution.
Nokia site: Lumia 900 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-wont-power-on-after-battery-drain-bricked/td-p/1374905

Nokia site: Lumia 800 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979/page/3
Bricked Lumia Blog noble-press.com/2012/04/lumia-900-review-progress/

Has anyone let their phone battery drain 100% and got it to charge back up?
Anyone having this same problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to stevebor1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lowlymarine
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I let my drain completely the other day and it charged back up just fine. Make sure you're using the supplied wall charger - it's actually rated at a higher amperage than most wall charges, 750 mA vs. 500 mA for most chargers.
Primary: Samsung Galaxy S 5 (Android 4.4 "KitKat")
Tablet: ASUS Google Nexus 7 (Android ? "L")
Other: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (Android 4.4 "Kitkat")

idelgado782
Old
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
This happened to me the first day I hot the phone and was able to charge and turn and turn back on with no problems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Addicted to flashing! It all started on my Nexus S........., Then Galaxy Nexus, upgraded to the Galaxy S3, Couldn't resist to take notes on a Note 2 & Note 10.1, Upgraded to the GS4, and now i'm rocking my LG G3 paired with the LTE LG G PAD 7.0

alodar1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebor1 View Post
Yesterday I let my Lumia battery drain 100%, disregarding the warning that it was critically low. Eventually the screen no longer accepted touch gestures and it shutdown.

I plugged it into the wall charger and it now continuously boots, keys light up, white screen comes on and the charging battery (red) is displayed. A couple of minutes later it goes black, the Nokia logo comes up, then it sits on the At&t splash screen for 5 minutes and reboots. It has been doing this non-stop all night.

I noticed on Nokia's site, people have been having this problem too, even with the 800. There is a few suggestions, but no solution.
Nokia site: Lumia 900 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-wont-power-on-after-battery-drain-bricked/td-p/1374905

Nokia site: Lumia 800 discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979/page/3

have you just let it sit for awhile...I mean more than 45 seconds? You drained the battery. You plugged it in. The default action on Windows Phone is to start when plugged into a power source. Obviously its not charged enough to sustain that action. Let it go at least 20 minutes....if not more. Some people here have mentioned it took 2 hrs for it successfully complete that cycle. And by all means, use the supplied charger, or, at least one that pumps out an equiv charge. Alot of those Amazon $1.99 specials, simply do not.
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes

stevebor1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
My Nokia Round wall plug actually was not working when I first got it, so I've been using my Blackberry and other usb's to charge, including just a usb to my Dell XPS 15 laptop.
Nokia is 5v 1A
Blackberry is 5v 700mA
Jawbone is 5v 550mA
Motorola Car Charger is 5v 950mA (I spend an hour in my car and same looping)

I have a replacement device coming either today or tomorrow because of the charger problem. Hopefully the new one will be able to charge this one so I can get my media off it.

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:

Yes, it has happened before (there is a thread here) and I did witness my co-worker's phone went through the same thing. Unfortunately, for both cases, the only solution is get a replacement phone. In my co-worker's case, he used the Nokia charger charged it for many many hours to no avail.

So the bottom line is NEVER let your battery drain completely. You may ended up with a dead phone.

kkrull
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Same Issue

My phone has the same issue. It can literally cycle from glow screen to battery icon screen to reboot for more than an hour. It happens with the supplied charger as well as my Samsung Focus charger. I find that I can hold the power button down after it has charged for a few minutes and it breaks the cycle and reboots properly.
Nokia Lumia 920
rMBP running Windows 8 EFI

Previously Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Focus, iMate SP5, Motorola S9 Pro, Win 7 Ultimate Macbook Pro

stevebor1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well I got my replacement Lumia 900 today. The wall charger is recognized by my old Lumia, however it is still doing the boot up loop and it hangs on the At&t screen when plugged in.
I will let it go for a few hours and see if anything happens. If nothing, I will try to do a hard reset and wipe all my data and see.

BooR4dley
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm not sure that the labeling on the Nokia charger is accurate. I'm sure it is with regards to testing, but in practice my 900 will not charge at a rate higher than 650ma when plugged into that charger, however when plugged into my 2A touchpad charger it charges at rates of 850-900ma. Perhaps get yourself an aftermarket iPad charger, I think those have pretty high amperage and see what you get then.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

alodar1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Well I got my replacement Lumia 900 today. The wall charger is recognized by my old Lumia, however it is still doing the boot up loop and it hangs on the At&t screen when plugged in.
I will let it go for a few hours and see if anything happens. If nothing, I will try to do a hard reset and wipe all my data and see.
You have hte keystroke combo for reset??? Should be done from a power off postion. Hopefully the charge is not too low to do this...
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes