Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] USB Host

Tip us?

TerrorApple
Old
(Last edited by TerrorApple; 2nd September 2012 at 11:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I've tried mounting my external 1 TB Freecom HDD (socket powered) with 800GB NTFS, 200GB FAT32. I'm trying to copy videos from the FAT32 partition to my device. I've entered the commands in Terminal Emulator, but it only tells me: Stopped (signal). I've attached a screenshot. When I use ASTRO and open the /mnt/sdcard/usb folder it tells me: no data.
What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-26-15-36-39.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1283645  

nerd65536
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryingfreeman86 View Post
Hi everybody,

First of all sorry for my englisch. I have a big problem with the USB otg function. An USB mouse works well but USB drives don't work. I have copied the text from terminal emulator:

app_162@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_162@android:/ $ su
app_162@android:/ # mkdir /mnt/sdcard/usb
mkdir: can't create directory '/mnt/sdcard/usb': File exists
2 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb <
mount: mounting /dev/block/sda1 on /mnt/sdcard/usb failed: No such file or directory
255|app_162@android:/ #

I also tried sda instead of sda1. No difference.
Please could anybody help me.
Run
Code:
ls /dev/block/
to see whether any devices named like "/dev/block/sd*" are detected.

You can also plug in the drive, then run
Code:
dmesg
to see debugging messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorApple View Post
First of all, sorry for my English.
I've tried mounting my external 1 TB Freecom HDD (socket powered) with 800GB NTFS, 200GB FAT32. I'm trying to copy videos from the FAT32 partition to my device. I've entered the commands in Terminal Emulator, but it only tells me: Stopped (signal). I've attached a screenshot. When I use ASTRO and open the /mnt/sdcard/usb folder it tells me: no data.
What am I doing wrong?

Apple
Let's verify that /dev/block/sda (or sda1) is detected. It should show up when you run the command:
Code:
ls /dev/block/
Reboot the phone and try it again.

TerrorApple
Old
(Last edited by TerrorApple; 2nd September 2012 at 11:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for your fast reply. I've tried that command, but "sda" nor "sda1" shows up. But what does the last line in my second screenshot mean? It's the mount command again, but with a different error...
Restarting the phone didn't help either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346019076562.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1284675   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346019085971.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1284676  

devgee
Old
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
@OP
There is app called OTG Helper, which helps to mount usb devices without terminal commands, all you need to do is click mount,
Ill be posting the app thread and a Video !
It really helps people who are getting errors in the terminal and it is easy to use !

App ----> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1802740

Requirements : 1) Y-Cable
2) OTG Cable
3) Power Adapter (HTC Power Adapter didnt work for me, so i used another one)
3) USB stick ( I used a 8GB Trancend)
4) HTC One S

Video:

TerrorApple
Old
(Last edited by TerrorApple; 28th August 2012 at 11:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the app. I installed BusyBox Free and started the app. It tells me everything is OK. But when I click Mount it says: No devices found.
I set up like this: Freecom HDD (Freecom Network Drive XS 1TB Mini USB) -> adapter (mumbi Mini USB Male -> USB Female) -> HTC USB cable -> HTC One S. (I'd post links to my stuff, but I need at least 10 posts here for that...) The HDD is socket powered, so I shouldn't need any other cables. I also tried another HDD (Western Digital), but it didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? Am I using wrong cables?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-28-11-48-53.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1287519   Click image for larger version

Name:	419IxRHp9FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1287547  

gemarcano
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Thanks for the app. I installed BusyBox Free and started the app. It tells me everything is OK. But when I click Mount it says: No devices found.
I set up like this: Freecom HDD (Freecom Network Drive XS 1TB Mini USB) -> adapter (mumbi Mini USB Male -> USB Female) -> HTC USB cable -> HTC One S. (I'd post links to my stuff, but I need at least 10 posts here for that...) The HDD is socket powered, so I shouldn't need any other cables. I also tried another HDD (Western Digital), but it didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? Am I using wrong cables?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere (this thread maybe) that the HTC One S doesn't provide power to USB devices, hence the need for a Y cable. I believe the first post of this thread explains the proper setup. I hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
Phone: HTC One S
HTC Sense: 4.0
Software number: 1.84.531.2 710RD
Kernel version: 3.0.8-01155-gca24d1e
Baseband version: 0.16.31501S.16_2_10.22.31501S.10L
Build number: 1.84.531.2 CL63329 release-keys
HBOOT: 1.09.0000

TerrorApple
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemarcano View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere (this thread maybe) that the HTC One S doesn't provide power to USB devices, hence the need for a Y cable. I believe the first post of this thread explains the proper setup. I hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
Yes I know I need power, but my HDD is socket powered! Do I then still need a Y-cable? Because when I plug it in to the socket I hear my HDD running. I thought you only need an Y-cable if you want to connect a USB stick or something else that does not have it's own power source?

devgee
Old
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
You need a y cable and a power adapter!

Gesendet von meinem HTC One S

gemarcano
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Yes I know I need power, but my HDD is socket powered! Do I then still need a Y-cable? Because when I plug it in to the socket I hear my HDD running. I thought you only need an Y-cable if you want to connect a USB stick or something else that does not have it's own power source?
You're right, sorry. I looked up your drive and it has its own power adapter. The y cable shouldn't be needed. I don't know much about Android, but since its similar to linux... Plug the HDD in and in the terminal run "dmesg", and copy approximately the last 15 lines or so. If the phone sees the drive at all, some sd* string should appear in the dmesg output.

Also, what ROM are you using?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
Phone: HTC One S
HTC Sense: 4.0
Software number: 1.84.531.2 710RD
Kernel version: 3.0.8-01155-gca24d1e
Baseband version: 0.16.31501S.16_2_10.22.31501S.10L
Build number: 1.84.531.2 CL63329 release-keys
HBOOT: 1.09.0000

TerrorApple
Old
(Last edited by TerrorApple; 28th August 2012 at 03:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by devgee View Post
You need a y cable and a power adapter!

Gesendet von meinem HTC One S
But my HDD is socket powered! Or does USB need extra power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemarcano View Post
You're right, sorry. I looked up your drive and it has its own power adapter. The y cable shouldn't be needed. I don't know much about Android, but since its similar to linux... Plug the HDD in and in the terminal run "dmesg", and copy approximately the last 15 lines or so. If the phone sees the drive at all, some sd* string should appear in the dmesg output.

Also, what ROM are you using?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
OK I ran "dmesg" and don't really know what that all means I added a screenshot. But it doesn't seem like it found my HDD...
BTW my Freecom HDD is always on (no stand-by), my WD HDD has stand-by enabled. And when I connect my WD to my PC you hear it starting and beginning to work. But when I connect it to my phone and mount it doesn't wake up from stand-by. Seems like the HDD doesn't even notices I gave the mount command!
I'm using ICS 4.0.3, no custom ROM, but T-Mobile branding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-09-47.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1287816  

Tags
usb, usb host