Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Raise Concerns to HTC - HTC Restricting Full unlock (S-OFF)

Tip us?

ShyamSasi
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1724

DONATE TO ME
Default Raise Concerns to HTC - HTC Restricting Full unlock (S-OFF)

Today I spotted this blog item http://blog.htc.com/2012/04/your-pho...hat-you-think/ I think we should start post our concerns about not being able to gain a proper unlock.

Quote:

(1) fastboot boot awesomeRecovery.img (this works because fastboot then boots recovery on the boot/temporary partition. So the you're not actually in recovery mode
(2) Offmode (this works because again you're again not technically in recovery mode. It uses the recovery ramdisk, kernel, and binaries but its still not technically recovery.

On that note I've seen suggestions that it's possibly a recovery issue with cwm and twrp. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the case. If it were then in CWM u wouldn't have usb when u fastboot boot the recovery or in offmode (fair assumption since both these options use the same kernel, ramdisk and binaries as recovery?). Can it be fix? Not that i know of. It looks to me like a total radio or bootloader lockout from using USB in recovery. Which means on a radio or bootloader level USB is disabled in recovery mode.

On that note I think we should raise the point to HTC that this locking down of the device does not suite our needs.Key points of fail would be as follows.

(1) Can NOT flash the boot partition from recovery. I've personally contacted HTC on this numerous times and they seem to just not care. Responding with "It's a security issue" and so forth. I would love to know how this is a security issue of any sort. Every other Android device has this ability except HTC devices since they started the HTC unlock ordeal. It's utter fail IMHO and HTC should listen to our needs .

(2) Can NOT flash recovery or boot partitions from system. This issue is NOT a deal breaker and isn't so bad when it comes down to the nitty gritty. But since the issue above exists, flashing with applications like htc dumlock and such were our only options. These work around apps cant be used to flash now because of the lockpout from system and it wouldn't be such an issue if HTC didnt lock us out in recovery from flashing boot.

(3) Can NOT flash P*IMG.zips in hboot/bootloader anymore. For the unlocked device running a custom firmware this is a must. Specially when radio updates and such are needed from the OEM. We seen a big use of this on the Sensation when HTC updated the device from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. The update required new hboots, radios, and partitioning to actually use. So in that instead of having to flash a RUU Which didn't exist the only choice was to flash a custom P*IMG.zip that included all the radios and images need to run the builds. At this point we can't update those image/partitions without flashing an RUU. This makes no since and doesn't seem to do anything but make things more difficult on the unlocker to customize and modify their device.

(4) If all the conditions above HAVE to exist. Then why not give us documentation or utilities to flash fimware.zips from recovery like HTC does? When HTC was the proud Nexus device there was full support and documentation available on how to flash firmware on their devices. This made anyone choosing an HTC device blessed with knowing that their device was not only open and unlocked, but when flashing firmware that it was being flashed correctly to Google and HTC's standards. This code has now been moved out of recovery since right before the move to edify scripting and moved to vendor/htc/ (not arguing this choice as thats where it belongs from a maintaining point of view). But the problem is that vendor/htc is proprietary now. Which means Documentation and support for flashing firmware correctly is not available and left to developers of recoveries for the community to figure out. One would think if HTC was standing behind us that they would step up and give us a PROPER/OPEN/REAL unlock, or if they cant for the lame excuse of security concerns, then give us the documentation and utilities to flash the boot and firmware partitions properly. I mean really... what is there to lose there?

(5) WHAT WAS THE POINT OF HTC UNLOCK? It was to reach out and accept us as a community. It was to keep us from having to exploit their firmware and look for holes to gain control of a device we rightfully own. WHAT DID HTC UNLOCK DO? It unlocked the devices at first and with each new revision of the unlock it gets more locked down and harder for us to use it as intended. WHAT DOES THAT LEAD TO? It leads to us hoping someone will take the time out of their life and exploit HTC's firmware so we can have access and control of our devices. I mean, it's bad when u have people poking a device with a paperclip to get a device unlocked to avoid a official unlock.

Bottom line; I'm personally fed up with HTC's unlock. It's absolute crap! It does not serve the purpose it was intended and only makes things harder then they were before. As a devoted HTC customer it has me questioning if my next device will be an HTC. With all the other options that would allow me to spend less time trying to gain proper access to my device and more time actually having fun with it, why choose HTC? Everyone else is shying away for these same issues. Everyone with an HTC unlocked device waits for someone to exploit HTC's firmware and give them a proper unlock. Why not just choose a device without the locked down/unlock instead? IDK but HTC needs to step up and listen to us. Every HTC forum with an HTC Unlock is screaming for these issues to be fixed.

My call to HTC is to fix these issue and/or give us proper documentation on flashing firmware to our devices via custom recoveries. The boot flashing lockout is dumb, pointless, and in NO WAY a security threat AT ALL and is nothing more then a CRAP RESPONSE to something that they sould be working to correct, instead of ignoring. In the end its hurting HTC's relations with developers and is ultimately doing the opposite of what it's original intent.

HTC, PLEASE READ AND LISTEN!!!11ONEone

To everyone else, SPREAD THE WORD!!!ONEone
This is the future of HTC unlock and each new device it gets worse. Maybe HTC will listen and address these issues, then again maybe we will just need to find another OEM that supports us and does listen
From this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=19

I have posted the same in Facebook Page and Tweeted it. I think we should be more aggressive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShyamSasi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MeisterRoerich
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
what about groubal?
Model: htc EVO 3D Paranoid/CM10.2 S-OFF/root{4ext
Model:NEXUS 7 AOSP/Paranoid/CM10
Model:SE Xperia X8 CM10 root/bl unlocked

My phone history: Sony Ericsson W810i(the best forever) -> Samsung Omnia i900( Windows Mobile, display broken)-> Xperia X8(every android version) ->htc EVO 3D
[I miss the daily flashing]
Sony Ericsson make.forget
HTC quitly terrible
Samsung TURN OFF TOMRROW

Electronic Punk
Old
Thanks Meter 738

DONATE TO ME
Posted anyway :s

"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Please S-Off your devices as promised, your unlock is not a true unlock and it is still heavily restricted. We can't flash official RUUs in this weak htc-dev unlocked state! Please fulfil your promise!
HTC One (M8) running Android Revolution HD on 4GEE

Formerly: One (M7), 8X, One X, Sensation, Desire S, HD2, Touch HD, TyTN II, MTeoR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electronic Punk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rekoil
Old
Thanks Meter 359
You have some valid points, but you do realise us tinkerers aren't htc's only customers right? Most businessmen now use smartphones like the one X and they certainly do not fiddle with their phones, nor do they accept that their phone comes with serious security flaws potentially opening their device up to strangers or corporate espionage. This point, however, could be used both for and against this fact. For example, if HTC officially provided S-OFF via htcdev then they could avoid people developing exploits for their device while also causing the device to be factory reset when it is applied. The downside of this is their products could get a reputation for being unstable or whatever (people seeing my device for example, and getting the idea that all one X's are on the verge of exploding)
sony xperia z1 compact d5503 lime green

previous phones
sony xperia z1 c6903 metallic purple - screen cracked, broken digitizer
sony xperia z c6603 royal purple - faulty backplate, returned
samsung galaxy s3 lte (gt-i9305n) marble white - sold... no more samsungs for me
htc one x glacier white - dead :'(
apple iphone 4s white - sold

Electronic Punk
Old
Thanks Meter 738

DONATE TO ME
That doesn't seem to be an issue for Google or Samsung, so I don't think its a really valid point.
HTC One (M8) running Android Revolution HD on 4GEE

Formerly: One (M7), 8X, One X, Sensation, Desire S, HD2, Touch HD, TyTN II, MTeoR

ShyamSasi
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1724

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoil View Post
You have some valid points, but you do realise us tinkerers aren't htc's only customers right? Most businessmen now use smartphones like the one X and they certainly do not fiddle with their phones, nor do they accept that their phone comes with serious security flaws potentially opening their device up to strangers or corporate espionage. This point, however, could be used both for and against this fact. For example, if HTC officially provided S-OFF via htcdev then they could avoid people developing exploits for their device while also causing the device to be factory reset when it is applied. The downside of this is their products could get a reputation for being unstable or whatever (people seeing my device for example, and getting the idea that all one X's are on the verge of exploding)
I understand mate .. That's why the S-OFF should be optional. I personally working in a co-operate enviorment most of the them won't go for Android since our enterprise applcation doesn't work well (Like deployment of software apps etc.) most of them prefer Blackberry for Windows based phone. That's why Windows 8 phone comes with secure boot and large scale application deployment with same tools used in Windows so they can convert the remaining BB users to Windows. Android has a long way to get attention from enterprise users. For now think it's an entertainment OS. Sony went a long way in this case they allow complete unlock even help FreeXperiaTeam with development of CM. Sooner or later our devs will find a way to S-OFF why not HTC offer it proactively and creative a good will against devs like Sony did.

dryan433
Old
(Last edited by dryan433; 3rd July 2012 at 02:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
S-off on any HTC phone do not I repeat do not open any other security issue ie a business would not leave such possibility open some business develop there own software for phones etc and still do they was doing it with the old pda phones and HTC pda phones with HTC to stop locking there phones allows this option again to a business.

A business wouldn't leave a device open as they would lock them there selfs via encryption etc so people arguing over its opening security holes is an invalid point other devices are open ie Samsung etc so why not HTC all other HTC that have been exploited to allow the same hasn't broken any security regarding networks or the ability to change serials etc as this info is on a write once chip and can not be over written like some other devices in past

The reply from HTC ceo has just made my day it's great news I just hope it true to the word

And believe it or not there loads of corporate business are using android devices to its full existent well here in the uk they are as its such a powerful operating system and not just for entertainment I speak from experience I use my phone for business and use a lot of business apps etc so my phone is not just for entertainment purposes etc

Everyone's concern over security is a fair statement but not valid reason not to unlock and am glad to hear HTC agree now.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

supendal
Old
Thanks Meter 36
@dryan433: Dude, what are you talking about? Have you ever heard about something called punctuation or capital letters?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
Device: Htc One M8
s-off via Firewater