AT&T One X/XL pogo pins moved - incompatible with global accessories!

Search This thread

matthewf01

Jul 26, 2008
Atlanta
The pogo pins on the One X's backside are an exciting, if subtle, addition to the design of the phone --- simply placing it gently into a dock without regard for futzing with a cable and connector in the dark, or trying to line up a microUSB port on a dock (and subsequently scuffing up the surrounding area on the phone, as I've faced with my Inspire 4G and dock), sounds like a really nice novelty.

HTC offers (or at least, has announced, since I haven't seen anyone actually using one yet) a desktop dock/charger which uses these pins.

However, Engadget's review of the AT&T One X points out a major point to consider: the US variant has had the location of the pins SHIFTED.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/htc-one-x-for-att-review/
There are other subtle changes: the camera pod contains a slightly larger plastic (not aluminum) piece, and the five contacts on the back don't line up, leading us to believe these devices use incompatible docks.​

htconexattreviewlead03.jpg

Big news for anyone who'd considered getting a pin dock... hopefully a US model dock is on the way.

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Thanks for sharing. I might be traiding in my S4 version for a T3 anyway, but it's good to know the docks might not swap over. I really want to see a car dock that utilizes the Pogo Pins instead of the microUSB, for all the reasons you mention. Maybe I've been spoiled by my Nexus One? =\
Thanks again,
Billy

ricktat

Nov 14, 2011
This is also why some companies are making 2 casess and why most of the cases wont have the pins lined up correctly.

If you plan to use the pins.. Get the ATT version case..

buddy17

Aug 9, 2010
most of the docks require you to remove the case anyway......so why would it matter if the case was misaligned??

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
TPU cases should fit though, the ones without the pogo cutout. It's only half a millimeter longer, so a soft case should be fine.

rpritch

Mar 25, 2009
I also have an international case on my Rogers HOX. The cut out for the pogos allows me to see all 4 pogos. However, the pogos are not centered in the cutout...they are shifted to the left.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
They didn't move the pins for the us version. The us version is the one xl . They changed the name. When the one xl comes out somewhere else in the world it will be the same as the AT&T one x. Htc will release accessories for the xl too.

We know it's the XL and the XL has the pins in a slightly different location compared the the International One X. It has been stated in several reviews.

rpritch

Mar 25, 2009
Here it is...Turns out i was wrong...the cutout only shows 4 of the 5 pogos

photo.jpg

Last edited:

equlizer

Sep 20, 2007
Mines like that too. I could care less really since the Otterbox will be here by months end:cool:

Confirmed by 3 reps from otterbox that its in the system. Both defender and commuter will work with both ATT And INT versions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The pogo pins on the One X's backside are an exciting, if subtle, addition to the design of the phone --- simply placing it gently into a dock without regard for futzing with a cable and connector in the dark, or trying to line up a microUSB port on a dock (and subsequently scuffing up the surrounding area on the phone, as I've faced with my Inspire 4G and dock), sounds like a really nice novelty.

HTC offers (or at least, has announced, since I haven't seen anyone actually using one yet) a desktop dock/charger which uses these pins.

However, Engadget's review of the AT&T One X points out a major point to consider: the US variant has had the location of the pins SHIFTED.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/htc-one-x-for-att-review/
    There are other subtle changes: the camera pod contains a slightly larger plastic (not aluminum) piece, and the five contacts on the back don't line up, leading us to believe these devices use incompatible docks.​

htconexattreviewlead03.jpg

Big news for anyone who'd considered getting a pin dock... hopefully a US model dock is on the way.