[MOD][CM9][May 4th] Custom Control of App Permissions on HTC Pyramid
This mod works on OpenSensation/CM9 builds only. I have not tested it on AOKP.
What is PDroid?
PDroid allows you to block an application from accessing any and/or all of the following personal data on your device:
- Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
- Subscriber ID (IMSI)
- Phone and mailbox number
- Incoming call number
- Outgoing call number
- GPS location
- Network location
- List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
- Account auth tokens
- Call logs
- Browser bookmarks and history
- System logs
- SIM information (operator, country)
- Network information (operator, country)
For device ID, phone and mailbox number, SIM serial, subscriber ID and device location it also allows supplying custom
Why PDroid is the best way to protect your private data:
- Applications do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or CM)
- Fine-grained tuning of access to private data
- No background service needed
- Very small memory footprint (~700KB)
- No impact on battery life
- No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s)
- 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot
- No Android permissions required for the app to run
- It's open-source!
Upgrading Nightly Rom Builds
- Make a backup! If the patches don't work due to changes in OpenSensation/CM9, you can reflash your nightly. Better safe than sorry!
- Download the Botbrew app from Google Play. It is free and on its way to being open-source.
- Launch Botbrew. A bootstrap process will occur that installs some packages necessary to Botbrew's operation.
- Find and install the package called "repository-mateorod".
- Press the refresh icon located at the bottom left of the packages screen.
- Select the package titled "android-framework-pdroid" from the list.
- Just to be safe, confirm that pyramid is listed as the Architecture prior to installing. It should be.
- Install the package and reboot your device.
- Download the PDroid app from Google Play.
- Configure PDroid to handle the permissions of any app you like.
After flashing, launch BotBrew and repair the android-framework-pdroid package.
If the repair screen doesn't launch automatically, just swipe the packages pane all the way to the left.
Reverting to Stock
Uninstall the android-framework-pdroid package using BotBrew. Reboot your handset. All done!
- For spearheading the effort to bring AOSP ICS to the Sensation and restoring my faith in the XDA community!
- Responsible for patching the framework for use on the Sensation!!!! Check out his post on porting it here!
- The creator of PDroid. The original pdroid thread can be found here.
- Responsible for porting PDroid to Ice Cream Sandwich! His thread can be found here.
My apologies if I have left anyone out! Please message me so I can be sure to give you proper credit!
If you consider my posts helpful, please click the Thanks button