Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] hard brick, now what?

Tip us?

jamcar
Old
(Last edited by jamcar; 3rd May 2012 at 09:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 371
Default [Q] hard brick, now what?

ok this has already been said to be hard bricked. i tried the JTAG and it didnt work because of a damaged EMMC chip. but how does a EMMC chip get damaged??? could it of been from shipping it to texas (place where it got JTAGged)? what about sprint could i lie and get a refurbished one???

btw it was bricked by a flash, so how could it damage the EMMC chip????

thanks

i flashed cm9 with the el26 CWM repacked ( the one in the directions) and i still bricked...

Aaron Swartz, Rest in Pixels.
Google+ Twitter
Remember if I helped you then hit "Thanks"

kobridge
Old
Thanks Meter 3,458

DONATE TO ME
How do you know EMMC chip damaged? Just curious...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
Samsung Galaxy II EPIC 4G Touch SPH-D710
Kobridge's Stock GB27/GB08/GA10/FL16 ROM + Addons
Kobridge Tweak Pack v4.34
TD's GB27/GB08 AIO Mod for E4GT Jelly Bean

Epix4G
Old
(Last edited by Epix4G; 3rd May 2012 at 08:28 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcar View Post
ok this has already been said to be hard bricked. i tried the JTAG and it didnt work because of a damaged EMMC chip. but how does a EMMC chip get damaged??? could it of been from shipping it to texas (place where it got JTAGged)? what about sprint could i lie and get a refurbished one???

btw it was bricked by a flash, so how could it damage the EMMC chip????

thanks
It was damaged when you formatted the partitions in cwm....only thing you can do is go to sprint and see if they replace it if not then ship it to Samsung and see if they will do it.....it was not damaged in shipping...it was damaged by u not reading and flashing the way devs have said
The emmc is not really damaged but the partitions are screwed up and no way to fix..
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sniper
Old
Thanks Meter 3,487

DONATE TO ME
What you do is post in the right section and then buy another god damn phone... I don't mean to be a dick but seriously, there have been sooo many bricking threads and warnings...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Esoteric68
Old
Thanks Meter 1,483
Now what? Now you go to Sprint, be honest with them, appeal to their kindness and hope for the best. If that doesn't work then you buy a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,470

DONATE TO ME
I'll supplement the previous comments by this...

Once you get your new phone read up on flashing CM9 to avoid bricking it again. You can start with the sticky at the top of this thread.

hrffd
Old
Thanks Meter 99
No. What you do is, go to Sprint, say you were playing a game, it froze, you pulled the battery and now all it has is a steady blue LED and you don't know why. Do not mention rooting, act like you don't know what rooting is. They can't check if it's rooted anymore without wiping all software so you're fine. If you have warranty, they'll have a replacement in 3 days.
Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch
JB 4.2.1 AOSP by sbrissen
FI27 Modem
The Following User Says Thank You to hrffd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PanchoPlanet
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Stay away from CM9. C stands for catastrophic and m for meltdown, the nine is just a nine.

Pp.

" It is said that when He swims, dolphins appear "......... even if its in a pool!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PanchoPlanet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Esoteric68
Old
Thanks Meter 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrffd View Post
No. What you do is, go to Sprint, say you were playing a game, it froze, you pulled the battery and now all it has is a steady blue LED and you don't know why. Do not mention rooting, act like you don't know what rooting is. They can't check if it's rooted anymore without wiping all software so you're fine. If you have warranty, they'll have a replacement in 3 days.
Yes, by all means let's advise people how to avoid taking personal responsibility for not following instructions and screwing up their phones in the process. That's a surefire way to keep future costs down.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PJBaska1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Bricked also, welcome to the club

I to have a bricked device. I now know that this issue resides from a defect that resides in the kernel i believe and really only happens when going from one ICS rom to another. I can't believe that this even happened in the first place. Since i first got the phone when it was released I've been flashing away completely fine up until I flashed the Slim rom and then bam, Nothing. I to sent it in for repair at mobiletechvideos.com but they were not able to fix that eMMC data issue. I've been dealing with this since May 2 now and still don't have a working phone. I"m going to be send back to Samsung for a possible repair but this issue is not because of anything that you did wrong. It's a know issue by know and hopefully in the near future other users won't have to deal this this same **** either. Sounds like a possible patch in the works to prevent this from happening at all on these phones running this particular processor.

Good luck to you

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/at...g-galaxy-s-ii/

Tags
emmc chip, hard brick, jtag, now what