5,600,483 Members 32,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Simple method to return AT&T Galaxy Note to full stock.

Tip us?

macked
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default [GUIDE] Simple method to return AT&T Galaxy Note to full stock.

Hey guys, I saw someone asking in an old thread I made if it was possible to go back to full stock ROM with stock recovery and 0 on the flash counter. Having done this myself last week, and having to grab info from multiple sources to accomplish it, I figured I would throw together a simple guide to help others (and myself in the future).

Things you will need to download:
  1. Da_G's stock system, kernel and recovery. File can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1506330
  2. braway's latest Odin flashable clockwork recovery found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1584576
  3. braway's Odin flashable flash counter reset found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1569206
  4. and of course Odin found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...3&d=1304094576

Ok, so now we have everything we need. This guide assumes you have drivers installed and have adb working. If not, google is your friend.
  1. Fire up Odin and boot your phone into download mode. This is done by simultaneously holding the power button and volume down until the screen goes black, then release the power button while still holding volume down. When prompted press volume up to enter download mode.
  2. Extract Da_G's pda-odin-att-stock.rar. We now have pda-odin-att-stock.tar.
  3. Now in Odin, make sure the only thing checked is Auto Reboot. Click the PDA button and select pda-odin-att-stock.tar. Click the start button.
  4. Once phone has rebooted, let the phone settle for a couple minutes then reboot it back into download mode. (volume down + power). Now click the PDA button again and this time select the Odin flashable clockwork recovery file (ex. cwm-touch-i717-120414.tar.md5). Click start.
  5. Once the phone has rebooted and stabilized, drop the flash counter reset file onto your sd-card, then reboot into recovery by holding volume up + volume down + power. When screen goes black, release power button and wait for clockwork to show. Flash the flash counter reset, then reboot the phone.

Now for the hard (and risky, SO READ CARFULLY) part, we have to get stock recovery back on our phones without tripping the flash counter. (thanks again to braway)
  1. Take the stock tar we flashed earlier (pda-odin-att-stock.tar) and extract that file. Take recovery.img and put it on your sd-card (I put it on the internal and external sd-card just to be sure). Reboot the phone into recovery (volume up+down+power). Go to mounts and storage, then mount the sd-card.
  2. Issue the following adb command. I SUGGEST YOU COPY AND PASTE IT, IF YOU TYPE IT WRONG YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Code:
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
And that's it folks. We now have a fully stock ROM, kernel, and recovery with 0 on the flash counter. If anyone has any comments or a way to further simplify this process please comment below and I will incorporate it into the guide. Good luck and always read the instructions twice.

This guide was made possible by people much smarter than I am, namely braway and Da_G. If you want to properly thank these guys I suggest dropping a couple bucks in their donation boxes:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to macked For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

irshanuddin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Does this preserve the unlock

Does doing this remove my carrier unlock?

hitteam
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks so much for this useful info

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

beall49
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You don't need to ADB recovery, you can flash this from CWR and it will set your recovery back to stock without tripping your counter.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=139

Scythe024
Old
(Last edited by Scythe024; 9th August 2012 at 12:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by macked View Post
H
  1. Take the stock tar we flashed earlier (pda-odin-att-stock.tar) and extract that file. Take recovery.img and put it on your sd-card (I put it on the internal and external sd-card just to be sure). Reboot the phone into recovery (volume up+down+power). Go to mounts and storage, then mount the sd-card.
  2. Issue the following adb command. I SUGGEST YOU COPY AND PASTE IT, IF YOU TYPE IT WRONG YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Code:
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
And that's it folks. We now have a fully stock ROM, kernel, and recovery with 0 on the flash counter. If anyone has any comments or a way to further simplify this process please comment below and I will incorporate it into the guide. Good luck and always read the instructions twice.

This guide was made possible by people much smarter than I am, namely braway and Da_G. If you want to properly thank these guys I suggest dropping a couple bucks in their donation boxes:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.
Umm.... How do u issue the adp command? i mounted the sd card, but no idea how i would copy the code or where to even enter it

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

FML, i did all this but the last step and everything is constantly crashing. it was crashing way before i even got to that step.

I cant dl ICS via Kies either, im f'd right now. HELP
The Following User Says Thank You to Scythe024 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kinghorsey
Old
Thanks Meter 68
You don't need to use the adb command. Just flash stock via Odin again in download mode then flash the counter reset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to kinghorsey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StarLog
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Their is an easier way to do this with Kies.
Someone posted a thread in here with the method, when I get home, I will post the process, as another way if you do not want to use ODIN.
Samsung Galaxy Note II
AT&T SGH-i317
Surface RT 64gb
Surface Pro 128gb

hottschott
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Followed everything to the T. Was able to use ADB to send the command successfully at the end of the instructions. Every step worked and went flawlessly. Yet, still cannot update to ics via kies or OTA. Get the message "your device cannot update via kies". I guess there is just no way of bringing these back to out of the box brand new straight from the factory?

cw00
Old
Thanks Meter 0
does this work for uk tmobile users

Finagle69
Old
Thanks Meter 86
I think you left out the Radio.

When I did this, it still had UCLF6 Baseband.

After flashing stock rom via Odin, you need to Odin the stock Radio (baseband).

Then Odin CWM.

Then flash the counter reset (via CWM).

Then and only then will it be completely stock and update-ready for Kies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finagle69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
galaxy note stock recovery counter