Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,661 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Media Link HD quick review

Tip us?

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Talking HTC Media Link HD quick review

The medialink HD arrived this morning, as it was a free gift courtesy of phones4u. I played around with it for 2 hours, and this is what I think:

It was incredibly easy to set up and use, it even came with a stand so you can stick it on top of your HDTV. So that is a nice little bonus!
The actual product itself is MUCH smaller than I thought it would be, I thought it would be at least the size of the One X, but no, it's pretty damn small!

One thing I noticed, is that when playing an intense game like Blood and glory, it stutters for the for 2 minutes of gameplay, then it seems to run like a hot knife through butter, I found this was the same with web browsing too!

HD content and games overall look amazing, HTC actually got something right first time for once! I really recommend this product to ANYONE with a One X! Any questions more than welcome of course

Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndroidInsanity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twe69
Old
Thanks Meter 28
First question, can I buy yours off you? 20 delivered?

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by twe69 View Post
First question, can I buy yours off you? 20?
Considering I actually use it and people are buying them second hand for 70, sorry pal but no, sure you can find some on ebay though

Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out

mickfitz
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Is it connected through Bluetooth or wifi?
What sort of range does it have before you get too far away from the TV?

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfitz View Post
Is it connected through Bluetooth or wifi?
What sort of range does it have before you get too far away from the TV?
Neither to my knowledge, but then again have not tried it with wifi off, does not use bluetooth. and I can be a good 6 metres away before it stutters

jaspabt
Old
(Last edited by jaspabt; 4th May 2012 at 02:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Hi, Got mine this morning so thought I would add my own review.

Agree with OP, much smaller than I expected, making it very portable. Will upload some pictures shortly. Its made of plastic, but has a good weight to it, to make it not feel cheap. The box it came in was rubbish though!

To clarify questions I originally had -
It needs a WiFi connection to work
It needs to be plugged in to a power supply. Cable Provided
It uses HDMI. Cable provided
Minor lag after initial start up, but then ok.
Quick Buffer rates.

At the minute (I've only played around with it for an hour or so) but my feelings are its OK. I'm not blown away by it just yet and here is why.

Didn't want to connect initially despite me following the 5 simple steps to the letter. They really are simple so might say something about me! To the point I was going to send it back. Eventually though it worked, although i did exactly what I had originally. (Thinking it through it may be due to me having several broadband connections in my house, it may have switched midway through pairing)

As OP said, the first minute or 2 you experience random lag for 1, maybe 2 seconds at a time, after that its all good.

If I am playing a video, i cant see it on the phone as the image freezes on the first film image, although it plays fine on the TV.
It didn't want to work with MX PLayer, so had to use stock for viewing recordings and downloaded videos.

I don't have any "True" HD content on my phone yet (700mb stuff ;P), but this highlights the lack of quality that you don't originally see on the phones screen. Netflix for example, although picture is good on the phone, it is clearly a "stream" on the TV as the image is pixelated slightly. ESPN goals is the same (although on phone its not great, on TV is clearly worst).
If the phone content is in HD, games etc (I assume same with films), it looks sweet, and ignoring the start up lag it works really well for games.

In summary (and I don't want this to sound like im knocking it), I think it is more of a party piece, rather than a day to day item you would use. Great for sharing pictures or videos you have taken with family/friends rather than them passing your phone around the room.
Its very quick, images/video buffer very fast and play within seconds. Apart from MX Player, everything I have asked it to display on the TV it has, so there are no copyright restrictions that I can see at this stage, unlike AppleTV.
A perfect accessory for those that travel alot or spend a lot of time in hotel rooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaspabt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspabt View Post
Hi, Got mine this morning so thought I would add my own review.

Agree with OP, much smaller than I expected, making it very portable. Will upload some pictures shortly. Its made of plastic, but has a good weight to it, to make it not feel cheap. The box it came in was rubbish though!

To clarify questions I originally had -
It needs a WiFi connection to work
It needs to be plugged in to a power supply. Cable Provided
It uses HDMI. Cable provided
Minor lag after initial start up, but then ok.
Quick Buffer rates.

At the minute (I've only played around with it for an hour or so) but my feelings are its OK. I'm not blown away by it just yet and here is why.

Didn't want to connect initially despite me following the 5 simple steps to the letter. They really are simple so might say something about me! To the point I was going to send it back. Eventually though it worked, although i did exactly what I had originally. (Thinking it through it may be due to me having several broadband connections in my house, it may have switched midway through pairing)

As OP said, the first minute or 2 you experience random lag for 1, maybe 2 seconds at a time, after that its all good.

If I am playing a video, i cant see it on the phone as the image freezes on the first film image, although it plays fine on the TV.
It didn't want to work with MX PLayer, so had to use stock for viewing recordings and downloaded videos.

I don't have any "True" HD content on my phone yet (700mb stuff ;P), but this highlights the lack of quality that you don't originally see on the phones screen. Netflix for example, although picture is good on the phone, it is clearly a "stream" on the TV as the image is pixelated slightly. ESPN goals is the same (although on phone its not great, on TV is clearly worst).
If the phone content is in HD, games etc (I assume same with films), it looks sweet, and ignoring the start up lag it works really well for games.

In summary (and I don't want this to sound like im knocking it), I think it is more of a party piece, rather than a day to day item you would use. Great for sharing pictures or videos you have taken with family/friends rather than them passing your phone around the room.
Its very quick, images/video buffer very fast and play within seconds. Apart from MX Player, everything I have asked it to display on the TV it has, so there are no copyright restrictions that I can see at this stage, unlike AppleTV.
A perfect accessory for those that travel alot or spend a lot of time in hotel rooms.

AGREED! although mine connected fine, no worries, I have a picture here excellent review btw!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0410.jpg
Views:	3126
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	1040448  

jonas2295
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,431

DONATE TO ME
anyone got an amazon link for me or ebay ?
serial?!
would like to get the right one and not an old one ....

You want 20gb free cloud storage ?
use my referral link and you get them right away at copy.com !
Thanks!

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2295 View Post
serial?!
http://www.amazon.de/HTC-H200-Wirele...6138033&sr=8-1

I think that is it, German Amazon, as guessing from your flag, Your from Germany lol.

jaspabt
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2295 View Post
serial?!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-HT...item4cff3700cc

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-H200-Med.../dp/B007IYHH70

Its already reduced on AMAZON !!!!! You want to get the H200 HD, the old one is not HD and is the DG H100.

Tags
htc media link hd one x