Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 43,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Media Link HD quick review

Tip us?

jaspabt
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazin View Post
It's working fine now, just kept restarting both the medialink and phone and now it's finally connected, going to use the superhub in modem mode now though to improve the WiFi signal
I had the same issue. Then it "magically" started working. Since then has worked a treat.

jonstatt
Old
(Last edited by jonstatt; 5th May 2012 at 01:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 90
It is using compression for the transmission. For example when playing 1st person games and you pan around a room, you can see the screen version is absolutely sharp and clear, but the TV version shows obvious signs of compression. After the image becomes static, the resolution improves.

I have not experienced any real issues with massive buffering, or lag. However there is a persistent lag of about 0.2 of a second which could affect some games players.

I also have the issue where if you play music, and then hit home, the music stops a couple of seconds later. You are supposed to be able to play music and videos on the TV, while using the phone for other things. I cannot get that to work.

Rahulg247
Old
Thanks Meter 7
So just to clarify, am I correct in saying that if a wi-fi network isn't available then the phone can't communicate directly with the HTC Media Link HD?

In other words you need to have a wi-fi network available that you know the password for whenever you want to use this?

azazin
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulg247 View Post
So just to clarify, am I correct in saying that if a wi-fi network isn't available then the phone can't communicate directly with the HTC Media Link HD?

In other words you need to have a wi-fi network available that you know the password for whenever you want to use this?
That's exactly it, for some reason the Media Link HD itself has it's own WiFi network but you can't connect to it, you must connect to a home/internet WiFi connection to mirror images or do anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to azazin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rahulg247
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Oh so that is quite a large aspect where the media link device falls short as you may not always have a wifi network to connect to.

Another question, if the phone is connected to HDMI through a wired MHL connection, can it do everything it can do when connected via media link, i.e. mirroring?

azazin
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulg247 View Post
Oh so that is quite a large aspect where the media link device falls short as you may not always have a wifi network to connect to.

Another question, if the phone is connected to HDMI through a wired MHL connection, can it do everything it can do when connected via media link, i.e. mirroring?
Indeed D:, I would assume so, I know for a fact it can mirror via wired MHL with better quality than the Media Link HD but not sure about the other features such as playing a video whlist going on the internet, because I think the Media Link HD itself handles these things (it temporarily stores things)
The Following User Says Thank You to azazin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dannysmith43
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Been playing with mine today and it doesnt like MX player at all...bloop! What is the stock app for playing movies? How do I get movies to play on the Tv and then browse the phone etc? "Watch" is only interested in paid content!

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysmith43 View Post
Been playing with mine today and it doesnt like MX player at all...bloop! What is the stock app for playing movies? How do I get movies to play on the Tv and then browse the phone etc? "Watch" is only interested in paid content!

Moboplayer worked fine for me MX didn't though

Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out

dannysmith43
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by technostein View Post
Moboplayer worked fine for me MX didn't though
Does it play it on both phone & TV or just the TV?

AndroidInsanity
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysmith43 View Post
Does it play it on both phone & TV or just the TV?

Just TV

Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out

The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidInsanity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
htc media link hd one x