Originally Posted by Valdeck
Be careful with how you charge the phone, rather with how low you let it get.
Depending on how technical you want to get about it purposefully letting a battery drop to absolute zero can cause some odd chemical reactions that while not immediately evident can some times shorten battery life.
I would recommend taking it out of the box and using it until it is low but not dead. Maybe 10 or so percent and then either turn it off and charge it or leave it on and charge it just do not pull the plug on the charger until it is at 100%.
Full battery cycles are not good for long term life of Li ion batteries.
Also, its unlikely, but occasionally happens where discharging the battery to shutoff will render the battery unable to take a charge. The safety circuit on the battery is supposed to prevent this, but its not failsafe. I've seen more than a few reports on previous HTC devices where this happened. And since the battery on the One X is not easily replaced, the result can be disastrous.
The battery meters on phones are not very accurate in the best of circumstances. No need to drain to shutoff, 10 or 20% is fine. No value added to draining to shutoff, and the consequences can be very bad.
Drain to 10% or even 20%, charge to full, repeat 2-3 times. This is done just to calibrate the battery meter on the phone. Its a misconception that you can somehow increase battery life by "conditioning" the battery. But modern Li ion batteries do not suffer from memory effects, and conditioning only works for older tech NiCad batteries.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!
Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted