Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 39,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help on how to dismantle Archos G9 80 16GB

Tip us?

topsterdog
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Cool LCD replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_One View Post
I'd be very interested in this and to learn where you bought the replacement screen...

I have an 80G9 with cracked screen and LCD and busted digitiser.

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9
I bought mine on from Ebay on bit(dot)ly/VjcIpe, took around 3 weeks to arrive, will update upon fitting as I had partially dismantled the machine in preparation.

Wish me good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to topsterdog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Extreme_One
Old
(Last edited by Extreme_One; 30th December 2012 at 10:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsterdog View Post
I bought mine on from Ebay on bit(dot)ly/VjcIpe, took around 3 weeks to arrive, will update upon fitting as I had partially dismantled the machine in preparation.

Wish me good luck!
Thanks and good luck.

BTW is it the complete screen, LCD and digitiser they're selling? The description is a little vague and the picture is awful!

Just looked again at the pictures on page one. Christ it does look difficult to open! What type of screw is that under the stand?!?

Looks like it would be very easy to do more damage...

topsterdog
Old
(Last edited by topsterdog; 1st January 2013 at 04:18 PM.) Reason: Spelling error
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_One View Post
Thanks and good luck.

BTW is it the complete screen, LCD and digitiser they're selling? The description is a little vague and the picture is awful!

Just looked again at the pictures on page one. Christ it does look difficult to open! What type of screw is that under the stand?!?

Looks like it would be very easy to do more damage...

yes, it is the complete screen & digitiser.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsterdog View Post
yes, it is the complete screen & digitiser.
Apologies for my terse reply, there is just the one screw to remove under the kick stand, then there are a series of catches to release, 4 along the long side and 3 on the short . You can use a small flat head screwdriver or plectrum. You should slowly slide the screwdriver around the edge to release them, gentle force is needed and you will not break the catches (I didn't and I can be very heavy handed!!).

Once this has been done be gentle as the connector ribbon between the two halves does not have much slack ( my error #1, be slow & methodical). I'll get some picture posted of what I did once I have finished my project.
The Following User Says Thank You to topsterdog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Extreme_One
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the pictures.

Curiously my tablet appears to have had the screw removed already?!? Perhaps Archos did that when I returned it.

When they refused to replace the tablet I asked them to return it and told them I would look to repair it myself.

They told me it would cost more than the tablet was worth!

I think I'll buy the screen you recommended and give the 8" tablet to my wife.

georgep56
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default G9 80 charging port

I just bought a faulty G9 80 on eBay.

The charging port is faulty so the pictures in this thread have been really useful - thank you

The unit hasn't arrived yet but looking at the pictures the charging port looks like it isn't a "normal" MicroUSB connector - is that right?

Anyone know whether I can just replace the connector with something like ebay item 170785676153 (I don't have enough 'xda-dev kudos' yet to post links - sorry!)

Thanks for any info!