[Q] Need help on how to dismantle Archos G9 80 16GB

Search This thread

topsterdog

Dec 30, 2012
LCD replacement

I'd be very interested in this and to learn where you bought the replacement screen...

I have an 80G9 with cracked screen and LCD and busted digitiser.

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9

I bought mine on from Ebay on bit(dot)ly/VjcIpe, took around 3 weeks to arrive, will update upon fitting as I had partially dismantled the machine in preparation.

Wish me good luck!

Reactions: Extreme_One

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
I bought mine on from Ebay on bit(dot)ly/VjcIpe, took around 3 weeks to arrive, will update upon fitting as I had partially dismantled the machine in preparation.

Wish me good luck!

Thanks and good luck.

BTW is it the complete screen, LCD and digitiser they're selling? The description is a little vague and the picture is awful!

Just looked again at the pictures on page one. Christ it does look difficult to open! What type of screw is that under the stand?!?

Looks like it would be very easy to do more damage... :eek:

Last edited:

topsterdog

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks and good luck.

BTW is it the complete screen, LCD and digitiser they're selling? The description is a little vague and the picture is awful!

Just looked again at the pictures on page one. Christ it does look difficult to open! What type of screw is that under the stand?!?

Looks like it would be very easy to do more damage... :eek:

yes, it is the complete screen & digitiser.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

yes, it is the complete screen & digitiser.

Apologies for my terse reply, there is just the one screw to remove under the kick stand, then there are a series of catches to release, 4 along the long side and 3 on the short . You can use a small flat head screwdriver or plectrum. You should slowly slide the screwdriver around the edge to release them, gentle force is needed and you will not break the catches (I didn't and I can be very heavy handed!!).

Once this has been done be gentle as the connector ribbon between the two halves does not have much slack ( my error #1, be slow & methodical). I'll get some picture posted of what I did once I have finished my project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Extreme_One

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the pictures.

Curiously my tablet appears to have had the screw removed already?!? Perhaps Archos did that when I returned it.

When they refused to replace the tablet I asked them to return it and told them I would look to repair it myself.

They told me it would cost more than the tablet was worth! :rolleyes:

I think I'll buy the screen you recommended and give the 8" tablet to my wife.

georgep56

May 18, 2013
Somerset, UK
G9 80 charging port

I just bought a faulty G9 80 on eBay.

The charging port is faulty so the pictures in this thread have been really useful - thank you :good:

The unit hasn't arrived yet but looking at the pictures the charging port looks like it isn't a "normal" MicroUSB connector - is that right?

Anyone know whether I can just replace the connector with something like ebay item 170785676153 (I don't have enough 'xda-dev kudos' yet to post links - sorry!)

Thanks for any info!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have G9 80 16GB Turbo. The plastic part of the inner micro USB feeder is broken and sticked out to the USB charger pin. My USB charger cable now blocked by that thing and cannot be use anymore. Now in the USB feeder of Archos just remain 4 tiny metals without plastic support (only 4 USB metal pins connector) and not able to take charge by anyway, it is bricked because of no battery power.
    Uuups this is bad...

It is just 2 months old and no warranty since I bought it in airport transit. 3 times emailed row-sales@archos.com with no response as the world has suspected.
    It's sad that they did not reply, but do you think it is covered by warranty if your borked the USB connector?

1. I've checked my Archos and did not find any screw other than single screw in the USB 3G compartment. I really thankful if anyone can write step-by step dismantle procedure.
    There's only a single screw at the back.
    The housing is hold together by some plastic clamps and it is a pain to open the case (at least compared to a A101IT Gen8).
    You really need some force and be very careful not to damage anything...
    I'll post a few pics this week in a different thread, because i opened the device last week and it was little bit catchy :rolleyes:

2. Can anyone share the shape of USB type soldered to the PCB to enable me order the part and soldering it alone.
    Usually this is not an easy task... at least for the unexperienced ones.
    Be careful with the thin lines on that PCB.
    To unsolder the connector you'll need a lot of heat because it is connected to the gorund plane of the mainboard.
    Anyway i don't know the manufacturer, but i guess these MicroUSB connectors are all pretty similar.
    So try to catch one, wherever it is sold.

3. I've search this on thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1557506, but the information provided on how to dismantle is not very clear.
    You should start on the opposite side of the connectors and use some plectrums (used by guitar players) to lift off the plastic clamps.
    As i said i'll prepare some pics...
    EDIT: Here's an overview on how i opened the case.
    As already stated it was a pain, and though i had been very careful, some tiny plastics got damaged.

The red circles mark the plastic clamps and the holes they were stucked in respectively.
    The green arrows mark the direction i slided my guitar plectrum.
    In between you'll have to use something like a screwdriver or putty knife to lift the clamps from their counterparts (this was the evil part).
    In the end lift the top of the housing in the yellow direction.
    Please take care of the flat cables of the TFT display, don't rip it off!!!

4. Thankyou in advance.
    You're welcome!

scholbert
    4. If I may ask, for what purpose you dismantle your Archos. And did you find any problem something like not properly tight when you remantle it again?.
    I don't know if i got a second edition device, but i realized this screen issue as well (pressure on the back causes effects on the display).
    So i thought i may open it and try to solve this issue.
    Anyway i always like to investigate on the construction of these devices...

5. From the picture, are all the clamps just on the display side, or mix up and down between the base and display?. Appreciate if you can post the zoom picture of the clamp and the hole to know it's anatomy to make easier when pushing during dismantle process. I also seeing 4 screw-like holes on 4 corner, are they also something like alignment clamps without actual screw?.
    To be exact, the clamps are located all on the base unit.
    The display side got the holes for the clamps. I'll see if i could make a more detailed picture, to point you in the right direction.
    Though i'm not sure if it helps.

The srew like holes you pointed at are for alignment only.
    I also found some glue in the holes, but this is no problem.

Some words on seperation...
    It worked out like this on the long side of the housing (upper and lower):
    - I tried to seperate the display part and the base with the plectrum step by step
    - tried to locate each clamp step by step
    - then used a screwdriver
    - tried to press gently against the clamp, direction outside to inside
    (be very careful and the long side at the bottom, because of the display flex cable)
    - then try to lift the parts more and more (it's terrible, but it works)
    - keep an eye on the torsion of the display side
    (seperate the parts too much, might crack the screen)

I guess i'll prepare some more pics...

Stay tuned!

scholbert
    Dear scholbert,
    All the process as you said really a devil. I am stuck here (at red arrow) and can not proceed unless I tear it with force. Seems there different clamps ?.
    Now I am stopping the the job waiting your further help.

Thankyou for helping me:
    DSC07930.jpg DSC07940.jpg DSC07944.jpg
    Man..., wtf, bottom pin of micro-usb (for desoldering purpose) covered with external card slot...grrrrr,...:mad:.

Please look at the usb pin inside the housing, only metal pins only remain, the plastic part were come-off sticked-out along with usb charger cable. Anyone would come with idea on how to trick my situation?. Removing external card-slot then removing micro USB port seems a big job to me. The solder were very-very tiny...:eek:

I have completely separated and disconnect the wires of my Archos, so I have two part now: the base and the display part.

Anyone asking specific picture parts of my Archos, I am ready to shoot.

IMG_6238.jpg IMG_6281.jpgIMG_6284.jpg
    Brilliant tips

Uuups this is bad...

It's sad that they did not reply, but do you think it is covered by warranty if your borked the USB connector?

There's only a single screw at the back.
    The housing is hold together by some plastic clamps and it is a pain to open the case (at least compared to a A101IT Gen8).
    You really need some force and be very careful not to damage anything...
    I'll post a few pics this week in a different thread, because i opened the device last week and it was little bit catchy :rolleyes:

Usually this is not an easy task... at least for the unexperienced ones.
    Be careful with the thin lines on that PCB.
    To unsolder the connector you'll need a lot of heat because it is connected to the gorund plane of the mainboard.
    Anyway i don't know the manufacturer, but i guess these MicroUSB connectors are all pretty similar.
    So try to catch one, wherever it is sold.

You should start on the opposite side of the connectors and use some plectrums (used by guitar players) to lift off the plastic clamps.
    As i said i'll prepare some pics...
    EDIT: Here's an overview on how i opened the case.
    As already stated it was a pain, and though i had been very careful, some tiny plastics got damaged.

The red circles mark the plastic clamps and the holes they were stucked in respectively.
    The green arrows mark the direction i slided my guitar plectrum.
    In between you'll have to use something like a screwdriver or putty knife to lift the clamps from their counterparts (this was the evil part).
    In the end lift the top of the housing in the yellow direction.
    Please take care of the flat cables of the TFT display, don't rip it off!!!

You're welcome!

scholbert

Great tips & will add my own step by step as replacing my screen on G9 after it parachuted from 2 foot onto a rubber floor!!:good: