Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 45,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Driver] Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU ICS Flashable Update {UnSigned}

Tip us?
 
gjcamp
Old
(Last edited by gjcamp; 10th May 2012 at 04:07 AM.)
#1  
gjcamp's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 128
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default [Driver] Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU ICS Flashable Update {UnSigned}

This Adreno GPU update is ONLY designed to work on Qualcomm S3 ARM7 Devices running ICS.

Greetings, I have been on XDA for a long time and I hope that you all can benefit from this patch as we have over at the Amaze Forums. Here is a link to my Original Thread and evidence of this patch's success for our Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU devices running ICS.

We have proven that this driver Patch has doubled our GPU throughput for 2D and 3D rendering.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1631223

I have only tested this on my T-Mobile HTC Amaze (Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU) and have not experienced any issues.

I have created this Recovery Flashable Patch to Install the Qualcomm Updated Adreno Drivers on the "Official Ruby ICS" release.

Qualcomm Developers Website

I did not get a screenshot of the results before flashing this, however I have seen dramatically improved result on my Quadrant 3D scores with "Force 2D GPU rendering" UNCHECKED in the Setting->Develop Options Menu of this ICS Release. With this option checked I have seen improvements on both 2D and 3D. Although results are slightly degraded for 3D from post update the 2D results have doubled in value.

Quadrant results were obtained immediately after restart to avoid any other processes interfering with the results.

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.


AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering CHECKED.


If someone would post a screenshot of the before Quadrant result I would gladly add it to this post. Please only post results Immediately after restart for conformity.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Required
Root Required
  1. Pre Requisites fulfilled (Root) (ICS)
  2. Install "Adreno ICS Update" to the root of your SD Card
  3. Toggle Signature Verification in Recovery
  4. Install zip via Recovery
  5. Fix Permissions
  6. Reboot
  7. ENJOI!!!

Thank you dhkr234 for the flashable zip framework.

Please post any other tested configurations and I will add them for other community members reference.

The usual warning goes here. I'm not responsible for what you do, or how you execute, use this at your own risk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adreno ICS Update Screenshot 2D Rendering checked.jpg
Views:	4091
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1042268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adreno ICS Update Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.jpg
Views:	4077
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1042269  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Adreno ICS Update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.62 MB, 640 views)
T-Mobile Amaze 4G (S-ON) AIO TOOL ROOT
Current Rom: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1
Kernel: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
Recovery: CM 5.5.0.4
Radio: 1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15
HBoot: 1.93.0002
GPU Driver: Official Qualcomm ARM7 Release
SD: Samsung 32GB Class 10

Don't forget to hit thanks if I've helped you.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gjcamp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gjcamp
Old
#2  
gjcamp's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 128
Join Date: Jan 2007
Thumbs up Additional Configurations Tested

Additional ROMS with confirmed improvements:


ROMS with these NEW Adreno Drivers Baked in:
T-Mobile Amaze 4G (S-ON) AIO TOOL ROOT
Current Rom: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1
Kernel: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
Recovery: CM 5.5.0.4
Radio: 1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15
HBoot: 1.93.0002
GPU Driver: Official Qualcomm ARM7 Release
SD: Samsung 32GB Class 10

Don't forget to hit thanks if I've helped you.
 
Emmanuel U
Old
#3  
Emmanuel U's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,075
Posts: 1,475
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chi-Town Suburbs
I confirmed the new drivers work with Virtuous Inquisition and Wildchild IcE AOKP. With force 2d gpu redering enabled...I got 3000+ in quadrant and 5300+ in antutu
T-Mobile Galaxy S2 myTouch 4G Slide, myTouch 4G, HTC Dream
CyanogenMod 11.0 (link) - WildKernel (link)

AKA Xmc Wildchild22

Bonus Dropbox space
- 20GB of Hosting from Copy


My Github

Click Me for My File Backups


Active Releases
KitKatDS | WildKernel

Deprecated Releases


The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gjcamp
Old
#4  
gjcamp's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 128
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmc wildchild22 View Post
I confirmed the new drivers work with Virtuous Inquisition and Wildchild IcE AOKP. With force 2d gpu redering enabled...I got 3000+ in quadrant and 5300+ in antutu
Please post only 2D and 3D results.

Overall scores are not indicative of real performance gains.

I circled in the OP what scores are really affected.

Thank you,
gjcamp

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
T-Mobile Amaze 4G (S-ON) AIO TOOL ROOT
Current Rom: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1
Kernel: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
Recovery: CM 5.5.0.4
Radio: 1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15
HBoot: 1.93.0002
GPU Driver: Official Qualcomm ARM7 Release
SD: Samsung 32GB Class 10

Don't forget to hit thanks if I've helped you.
 
nicholasb
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 216
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-05-05-11-27-06.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1042880  
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholasb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dhkr234
Old
(Last edited by dhkr234; 6th May 2012 at 12:15 AM.)
#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 574
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcamp View Post
Thank you dhkr234 for the flashable zip framework.
Wow, you're welcome, but this is more than needed. As I recall, all I did was package some driver files in an update.zip with an "extract directory blah" line.

But hey, glad you benefited from that!!!

Edit: so I ran some tests with this driver.
1) It is **NOT** limited to S3/220, works just fine on my S2/205.
2) The advancements attributed to it are greatly exaggerated.

My results;
before, soft 2d
1337
2d 249
3d 936

before, hard 2d
1453
2d 672
3d 976

after, hard 2d
1485
2d 660
3d 990

second run after, hard 2d
1502
2d 833
3d 774


You will note that the big 2d jump happened with forcing 2d rendering. Even with the older driver.
The second run with the new drivers came out weird. Subsequent runs with the same driver looked a lot closer to the first run with the new drivers.

Yes, the new drivers perform better. Probably 5% or so overall is my guess.


And OP: Its not a "patch". Its a binary driver. A patch is a "differences" file for SOURCE code.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhkr234 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gjcamp
Old
#7  
gjcamp's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 128
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkr234 View Post
Wow, you're welcome, but this is more than needed. As I recall, all I did was package some driver files in an update.zip with an "extract directory blah" line.

But hey, glad you benefited from that!!!

Edit: so I ran some tests with this driver.
1) It is **NOT** limited to S3/220, works just fine on my S2/205.
2) The advancements attributed to it are greatly exaggerated.

My results;
before, soft 2d
1337
2d 249
3d 936

before, hard 2d
1453
2d 672
3d 976

after, hard 2d
1485
2d 660
3d 990

second run after, hard 2d
1502
2d 833
3d 774


You will note that the big 2d jump happened with forcing 2d rendering. Even with the older driver.
The second run with the new drivers came out weird. Subsequent runs with the same driver looked a lot closer to the first run with the new drivers.

Yes, the new drivers perform better. Probably 5% or so overall is my guess.


And OP: Its not a "patch". Its a binary driver. A patch is a "differences" file for SOURCE code.
Glad to hear it worked for you.

Fyi-

These binaries in this driver is specifically listed on Qcomm's website for ARM7.

The update you had is for ARM 6.

If you see improvement then great!

Cheers,
gjcamp

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
T-Mobile Amaze 4G (S-ON) AIO TOOL ROOT
Current Rom: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1
Kernel: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
Recovery: CM 5.5.0.4
Radio: 1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15
HBoot: 1.93.0002
GPU Driver: Official Qualcomm ARM7 Release
SD: Samsung 32GB Class 10

Don't forget to hit thanks if I've helped you.
 
dhkr234
Old
#8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 574
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcamp View Post
Glad to hear it worked for you.

Fyi-

These binaries in this driver is specifically listed on Qcomm's website for ARM7.

The update you had is for ARM 6.

If you see improvement then great!

Cheers,
gjcamp

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
No, that was also for ARM7. All Adreno 2xx's are with ARM7's, from S1 upward.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh man, I **REALLY** hate to have to break this to you, but this is exactly the same driver as in my zip from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=39

... explains the performance results.

Sorry.
 
gjcamp
Old
(Last edited by gjcamp; 7th May 2012 at 05:51 AM.)
#9  
gjcamp's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 128
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkr234 View Post
No, that was also for ARM7. All Adreno 2xx's are with ARM7's, from S1 upward.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh man, I **REALLY** hate to have to break this to you, but this is exactly the same driver as in my zip from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=39

... explains the performance results.

Sorry.
No need to apologise. I simply looked at the date comparing your libs with what I downloaded directly from the Qualcomm Website. Seeing that Qualcomm released the ARMv6 drivers later than the ARMv7 I assumed you created the zip for ARMv6. I now see the matching CRC. My bad.

Qualcomm Dev Website

BTW your file is on the right.




Thank you,
gjcamp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AdrenoCompare.jpg
Views:	3579
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1045768  
T-Mobile Amaze 4G (S-ON) AIO TOOL ROOT
Current Rom: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1
Kernel: 3.0.16-ga4fb83c
Recovery: CM 5.5.0.4
Radio: 1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15
HBoot: 1.93.0002
GPU Driver: Official Qualcomm ARM7 Release
SD: Samsung 32GB Class 10

Don't forget to hit thanks if I've helped you.
 
mattlowry
Old
#10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,076
Posts: 1,359
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Valley View, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Is it recommended to flash this?

Tags
adreno 220, arm7, driver, ics, qualcomm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes