Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 48,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows phone going down?!

Tip us?

fatclue
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 82
Those who prefer iPhone will stay with it because of familiarity. Apple is smart in realizing it does indeed have sheeple (no offense intended, just laying down a line of argument). Those who prefer Android have been sucked into the marketing hype of "openness" and freedom to do whatever they want with their phones and will likely stay with the platform. Those of us on WP7 are here because (a) we were previously on WM, (b) don't care for iOS (myself included), (c) realize that Android is a convoluted mess with no standardization from one device to another or (d) converts from dead systems such as RIM, Symbian or webOS. I know RIM is technically not dead, but let's be real.

Either way, whatever platform we have chosen is of our own preference and we arrived at the decision considering many factors. It is very arrogant of anybody to "hate" on someone else's choice because of their own prejudice. In other words, live your own damn life and stay the f**k out of mine. Agreed?
The Following User Says Thank You to fatclue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vetvito
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksti View Post
Okay Vet, go ahead and give me the list. If I was a betting man I would put up something in paypal too

Just remember, Microsoft puts out a whole heap of consumer products. I have used a mix of their enterprise ones and consumer:

Microsoft Office
Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 (never really used NT)
Microsoft webcams (lifecam, and the HD one is really nice)
Various wired and wireless keyboards and mice

I also use their MS Dynamics which is business software. Project is too. etc. Microsoft makes tons of products, and when I think of Microsoft I do not think of failed consumer products. But I am willing to hear your list
You named enterprise products, stuff a ton of people have no choice on. The hardware isn't selling well either.

Consumer products like the Smart Watch, Media Center dvd players, etc...but I'll stick to WP7.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

sitizenx
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetvito View Post
Iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s, enough said.
I see 3g in there. I see 4. The only thing we aren't seeing is what really matters LTE. I actually almost didn't get a smartphone because I was told by a friend that using data off of wifi was a pain in the rear and not worth it. Boy am I glad I ignored that apple fanboy and got introduced to the world of LTE. It's 2012 for crying out loud. Apple fanboys still fapping to 3.5 inch screens with no LTE?!
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.

vetvito
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitizenx View Post
I see 3g in there. I see 4. The only thing we aren't seeing is what really matters LTE. I actually almost didn't get a smartphone because I was told by a friend that using data off of wifi was a pain in the rear and not worth it. Boy am I glad I ignored that apple fanboy and got introduced to the world of LTE. It's 2012 for crying out loud. Apple fanboys still fapping to 3.5 inch screens with no LTE?!
Come on, we're having a good discussion, don't ruin it.

Some people don't want a bigger screen, and some don't want to pay for LTE.

Me personally I wish they would throttle everyone to 5mbs speeds, and lower the price to the unlimited $5usd days.

sitizenx
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitizenx View Post
Come on, we're having a good discussion, don't ruin it.

Some people don't want a bigger screen, and some don't want to pay for LTE.
We are going to discuss everything. Even the stuff that is a little inconvenient for Apple. Yeah. My GF wanted a bigger screen the minute she saw my Lumia 900. Anyway if you want a smaller screen Windows Phone has that. If you want a bigger screen Windows phone has that. Apple? Nope. One size fits all. No one needs to explain to me people have preferences. That's why I don't own the Model T of phones.

Pay for LTE?! Son, my LTE phone was FREE and I pay $30 a month for unlimited LTE. You don't pay a penny more for the goodness and you actually SAVE $200 vs buying a slow poke phone (ie iphone 4s).

Quote:
Me personally I wish they would throttle everyone to 5mbs speeds, and lower the price to the unlimited $5usd days.
Yes I suppose if you alter reality and remove LTE from the picture the iphone 4s at $200 a pop looks slightly less silly next to the free Lumia 900. Unfortunately reality shows up to spoil the party.

iOS definetly has some advantages over Windows Phone, but when you look at them OBJECTIVELY anyone claiming the $200 iPhone 4s is somehow a technological marvel that blows the FREE Lumia 900 out of the water is smoking crack.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.

fatclue
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 82
And WP7 has advantages over iOS and Android. It all comes down to what device or which platform or even which carrier suits your needs. Some devices on the same carrier behave differently depending on what region they are on and what the coverage is like. So you see, this discussion is the tech world's equivalent of the perpetual motion machine. It's like that one episode on the original Star Trek with the two guys who are half white and half black, at each other's throats for eternity with no possibility of compromise. I, personally, could care less about LTE because for what I need a few seconds here and there aren't going to change my world. LTE doesn't make my phone conversations any faster, and last time I checked a phone is a phone first and foremost. Email and Office documents rule my day and most files are not large enough to really affect my data collection speed. I realize most of you on these boards are young and just starting life but let me tell you something, don't be in such a hurry. Stop and smell the roses or before you know it, you'll be a grumpy old fart like me.

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Well, let's just ask Siri then, shall we?

The Following User Says Thank You to eknutson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vetvito
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
And WP7 has advantages over iOS and Android. It all comes down to what device or which platform or even which carrier suits your needs. Some devices on the same carrier behave differently depending on what region they are on and what the coverage is like. So you see, this discussion is the tech world's equivalent of the perpetual motion machine. It's like that one episode on the original Star Trek with the two guys who are half white and half black, at each other's throats for eternity with no possibility of compromise. I, personally, could care less about LTE because for what I need a few seconds here and there aren't going to change my world. LTE doesn't make my phone conversations any faster, and last time I checked a phone is a phone first and foremost. Email and Office documents rule my day and most files are not large enough to really affect my data collection speed. I realize most of you on these boards are young and just starting life but let me tell you something, don't be in such a hurry. Stop and smell the roses or before you know it, you'll be a grumpy old fart like me.
Enough said, as the topic was quickly derailed. I'm still young btw.

nicksti
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
You named enterprise products, stuff a ton of people have no choice on. The hardware isn't selling well either.

Consumer products like the Smart Watch, Media Center dvd players, etc...but I'll stick to WP7.

I named consumer products in the first paragraph. Microsoft Office is not enterprise software per se; And out of curiousity how do you know how well their hardware is selling? After Logitech webcams, the Lifecam is the next best seller on Amazon.

Oh to make a fair correction, it was a Logitech C920 HD webcam I used. That is a nice webcam with very nice mics built it if you are every into something like that. I had to set it up for a conference room.

But let us squash it. when I think of putting out busters I do not think of Microsoft, but I take it you do. To each his own. And it is worth mentioning that Windows Phone has only been out for a little over a year. In the same timeframe, the XBox 360 was a spectacular failure with the disasterous failure rates (red ring) and the fact that they lost money on every console sold. Now into the future you are calling it their only successful consumer product. The exact sentiment was they botched that product so badly and squandered the year lead they had over the PS3.

"Monday Morning" I think it is called.

Out of curiousity, can't a loose parallel be drawn between the XB360 and Windows Phone?
Future Phone: Windows Phone 8

AndroHero
Old
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:

I dont know about you, but when i bought my PC, i had a choice of what OS i wanted to install, just like when i chose what office software or internet browser i wanted to use.
Everyone has choices but most people choose MS products without considering the rest because they are the best.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2
------------------------------------------------------------
My Device
HTC Sensation XL
Rom Version - 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v2.2.1
Baseband - 10.10.12_M
Kernel - 2.6.35.13