Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,336 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MX Player

Tip us?

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Default MX Player

I've tried at least half a dozen of the popular music apps out there. I've settled on Android Music 4.0.4b2 - I think it does a good job in the sound dept. as well as being easy to use. My main criteria however is the sound quality when choosing a player. I grew up on vinyls. Much of the mainstream digital I hear nowadays sounds too compressed. I convert my CDs to at least 192 bps. Now to the point. I stumbled on a video player called MX Player that also (obviously) plays audio. It was not designed to play audio only so there are no pretty album pictures or anything like that. It does however SOUND fantastic to my ears. I'm using an option that uses software decoding that bypasses the hardware decoder and takes advantage of the ATRIX 2's dual core technology. Now, I'm currently evaluating Neutron MP which is touted to be an audiophiles dream. Without making any setting adjustments I hear no difference between this and my stock Android Music player. I suppose I could go into the plethora of settings and tweak, but before I do I was wondering if anybody has used MX and/or found a similar alternative. The difference in sound quality is very apparent to me over anything I've tried so far. The only negatives for me are the inability to play music and do anything else (music stops when the screen is switched) and no album art. Other than that it really is a dream sounding player.

BTW it was created by quite a large team of developers. I'd love to find out if they've collaborated on a straight audio player as well. I haven't discovered that yet.

Is there a question somewhere in all of that? Ha-ha. Well, comments and suggestions on good sounding music apps are very appreciated. If you haven't given MX Player a try, I recommend it. WARNING, it might change your opinion about your current player's sound quality.

The End.
HTC EVO 4G LTE cm11 nightlies
Free and Open Source Software for Android
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KEB64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...layer.ad&hl=en

The End.

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
No music lovers here? I challenge anybody to find better sounding audio. ;)

The End.

captaincado
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I love the sound when it plays videos, never thought to use it as a music player.

Sent from my MB865 on Sonya
Some days, you eat the bear...

Other days, the bear eats you!!

farshad525hou
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB64 View Post
No music lovers here? I challenge anybody to find better sounding audio. ;)

The End.
In my opinion Poweramp is the king of music players. It supports literally every codec out there, you can bypass software decoding by setting the cpu thread level, and the interface is freaking AMAZING. It sounds like I have a $600 Soundblaster card in my phone

It does cost around 5 bucks but it's totally worth it, especially because about 90% of my music collection is lossless!
DON'T HAVE A DROPBOX? SIGN UP WITH THIS LINK AND WE BOTH GET 500MB EXTRA!: http://db.tt/UAXWgzXy

Current Devices:
HTC One running Android 4.4 KitKat/CM11 Beta builds from source!
Google Nexus 7 running AOSP 4.4 KitKat!
Backup Devices
Samsung Galaxy Nexus running CM10.2 nightlies.
Google (Asus) Nexus 7 running CM10.2 nightlies!
Motorola Atrix 2 running CM10
Previous Devices:
Samsung Infuse 4G,-HATED IT!
iPhone 3G-Sold it on Ebay!

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
I've tried Poweramp. Do yourself a favor and try MX Player using the software decoder (bypass android hardware decoder). My files are mostly .ogg converted with variable bit rate. Get some nice headphones, even nice apple earbuds will due. Then get to a quiet place and cue up both players. Play the same passages from both. You might wanna leave off the eq effects on Poweramp to begin with. I can guarantee there is more sound being reproduced with MX.

The End.

farshad525hou
Old
(Last edited by farshad525hou; 10th May 2012 at 01:59 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've tried Poweramp. Do yourself a favor and try MX Player using the software decoder (bypass android hardware decoder). My files are mostly .ogg converted with variable bit rate. Get some nice headphones, even nice apple earbuds will due. Then get to a quiet place and cue up both players. Play the same passages from both. You might wanna leave off the eq effects on Poweramp to begin with. I can guarantee there is more sound being reproduced with MX.

The End.
I shall try that with my Shure se535 !

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote:

The End.
Just curious... How did you get an audio file to open with MX?

Edit*: Nevermind figured it out1
DON'T HAVE A DROPBOX? SIGN UP WITH THIS LINK AND WE BOTH GET 500MB EXTRA!: http://db.tt/UAXWgzXy

Current Devices:
Backup Devices
Previous Devices:

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by farshad525hou View Post
I shall try that with my Shure se535 !

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Just curious... How did you get an audio file to open with MX?
Just get in settings ->List and go to "video folder". Select your folder. Then in "file extensions" make sure your file type is listed. If it isn't, just "add" it. It lists my CD albums by album title. No artist name or anything.

The End.

farshad525hou
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Just get in settings ->List and go to "video folder". Select your folder. Then in "file extensions" make sure your file type is listed. If it isn't, just "add" it. It lists my CD albums by album title. No artist name or anything.

The End.
I do hear slight difference. Not as pronounced as you suggested, but it may be because all my music is encoded in FLAC (direct uncompressed CD rips). If the devs behind MX decide to make a stand alone music player I would definitely give it a long hard look!

Current Devices:
Backup Devices
Previous Devices:

KEB64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Yeah I haven't tried any flac files yet. My .ogg files benefit like nobody's business. Digital music is fine if handled appropriately IMO.

The End.