Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE]How to find your Android Device AFTER it has been stolen

OP maverick340

8th May 2012, 01:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

36 posts
Well lets assume your android device has been stolen! Good lord !! . Not to worry, this guide should hopefully help you recover it. Even if its a thief.
PS: This contents of this read may bear resemblance to the reddit thread i created

A about two weeks ago (17th April to be exact) one of my friend lost his Samsung GT-I9003 from his dorm room at 0200hrs. Today when i was scanning my latitude, i saw him position a few hundred meters from me. Problem is, we are on a university campus. 500+ students, staff, kitchen, cleaning - basically lot of people. I suggested we check Google Latitiude's location history and sure enough for the past 15 days, the phone's location is spread all over the campus.

Premise of the crime
  • The phone is ON and is connecting to the Wi-Fi.
  • The phone is still tied to the primary gmail account and is thus reporting location.
  • The SIM has been removed or changed since the original number is now switched off
  • The person does not have good knowledge of using a smart phone (maybe helping staff)

Steps we have taken
  • Since we assume it is in the possession of either a student or helping staff we don't want to startle him.
  • Tried Plan-B on my phone. However the location it was reporting was the same as Google Latitude.
  • The phone does have Where is my Droid installed but the web interface says invalid email ID. So that option is ruled out unless you have pre configured Where is my Droid previously.

How we found the phone

After Where is my Droid failed us, we started looking for other applications. We found this application called Android Lost. Unfortunately we hit a dead end when we realised that it needs to be activated by sending an SMS. Since we dont know the phone number, or that there is even any SIM card in the phone, that application also seemed useless.But turns out the developer of Android Lost has also made a nifty app called AndroidLost Jumpstart which is can trigger Android Lost without the need of an SMS.
According to the description

Quote:

This app will wake up the registration process on the androidlost app when ever a phone call is made, an SMS received, battery is low, a package is added, removed or changed.

So we got android lost installed. Trust me, its a life saver. We got calls logs, sms, pictures, voice recordings. We tracked the person with the help of this.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maverick340 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2012, 07:22 PM   |  #2  
Manchester
Thanks Meter: 344

1,082 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick340

Well lets assume your android device has been stolen! Good lord !! . Not to worry, this guide should hopefully help you recover it. Even if its a thief.
PS: This contents of this read may bear resemblance to the reddit thread i created

A about two weeks ago (17th April to be exact) one of my friend lost his Samsung GT-I9003 from his dorm room at 0200hrs. Today when i was scanning my latitude, i saw him position a few hundred meters from me. Problem is, we are on a university campus. 500+ students, staff, kitchen, cleaning - basically lot of people. I suggested we check Google Latitiude's location history and sure enough for the past 15 days, the phone's location is spread all over the campus.

Premise of the crime

• The phone is ON and is connecting to the Wi-Fi.
  • The phone is still tied to the primary gmail account and is thus reporting location.
  • The SIM has been removed or changed since the original number is now switched off
  • The person does not have good knowledge of using a smart phone (maybe helping staff)

Steps we have taken
  • Since we assume it is in the possession of either a student or helping staff we don't want to startle him.
  • Tried Plan-B on my phone. However the location it was reporting was the same as Google Latitude.
  • The phone does have Where is my Droid installed but the web interface says invalid email ID. So that option is ruled out unless you have pre configured Where is my Droid previously.

How we found the phone

After Where is my Droid failed us, we started looking for other applications. We found this application called Android Lost. Unfortunately we hit a dead end when we realised that it needs to be activated by sending an SMS. Since we dont know the phone number, or that there is even any SIM card in the phone, that application also seemed useless.But turns out the developer of Android Lost has also made a nifty app called AndroidLost Jumpstart which is can trigger Android Lost without the need of an SMS.
According to the description

So we got android lost installed. Trust me, its a life saver. We got calls logs, sms, pictures, voice recordings. We tracked the person with the help of this.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!

Or install Avast anti theft before your phone gets stolen ;D never the less, very useful, thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
9th May 2012, 01:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmijnlp

Or install Avast anti theft before your phone gets stolen ;D never the less, very useful, thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

yep always good to be safe before hand. After this incident lot of my friends have installed or gotten some security app.
Although, aren't security suite like Avast, McAfee and overkill for finding lost phones?
9th May 2012, 03:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag Szentendre
Thanks Meter: 71

470 posts
More
And who was the thief?

Sent from my LG Optimus 2x with xda premium app
9th May 2012, 04:03 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
another possibility is to instal Cerberus App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuuK80 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2013, 05:53 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Hi everyone. I have recently been the victim of theft for my nexus 7. I had the device locked with the pattern so there is no way that the thief could get into it unless they do a software reset from the recovery mode. The thing is, either way there is no way i would be able to recover it because if in fact they do a factory reset my lookout security would be uninstalled and my nexus would be lost forever, also if they can't get through the pattern and find a way to connect to Wi-Fi, it will still be lost forever. I have read about installing lookout in the system/app folder of a rooted device so its not easily uninstalled by normal means or factory reset. But do you think it is possible to have android lost and lookout pre-configured and installed in the system/app folder so that even if the device is factory reset, the credentials will remain?
15th February 2013, 11:18 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

36 posts
is it factory-reset proof?
19th February 2013, 01:13 PM   |  #8  
Flag Delft
Thanks Meter: 418

2,478 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just a quick little question: How did you get the phone to register on Android Lost? I can't get a friend's phone to be recognized in the web app, after installing the Jumpstart and another app...
19th February 2013, 03:17 PM   |  #9  
Flag Maturin
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
More
Thumbs up Thank you
Very good contribution, gratz! i will follow your steps in case my android get stolen!
2nd May 2013, 04:50 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
How did it fail?
You say that "after Where's my Droid failed us"...what do you mean by that...how did it "fail"? I would like to know before installing it. What exactly happened that it "failed" you?

Thanks

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, device, lost, phone, recover
Previous Thread Next Thread