I rooted mines using unlockr
site. But I did had to download Kies for the Drivers and you do need a memory card.
. Before You Begin:
1. Rooting your Galaxy Tab will void its warranty and it can only be gained back by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.
Downloading Required Files:
1. Download ClockworkMod Recovery Image from here
2. Download the Rooting Package from here
3. Download the Odin tool from here
. Installing CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
1. First of all, close Kies software on your PC.
2. Reboot your Galaxy Tab 2 into the download mode. You can do so by pressing and holding both Volume DOWN and Power keys together.
3. Press the Volume UP key to enter into the download mode.
4. Launch the Odin Tool on your PC by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe file.
5. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.
6. From the Odin Tool, choose PDA and then select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. You will have following screen:
[ Select "PDA" option ]
7. Click on the Start button to begin flashing recovery. Your tablet will reboot when the flashing is done.
8. Disconnect your tablet from the PC.
We completed installing CWM recovery on the tablet, now move on to the rooting procedure.
IV. Rooting your Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch:
1. Turn OFF your tablet.
2. Boot your tablet into the recovery mode by pressing and holding both the Volume UP and Power keys simultaneously.
3. Choose install zip from sdcard option and then navigate to the rooting package you downloaded earlier. It will begin rooting your tablet, let it do it.
4. When the rooting is done, choose Reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Everything’s done now. You have successfully rooted your tablet as well as installed CWM recovery on it. This simple root method was brought to us by a RootzWiki user nycbjr, you should thank/donate him over at rootzwiki
for his great work!