Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 38,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

Tip us?

DarkSeL
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have an HTC Windows Phone and I'm loving what Nokia is doing. Plus I don't plan on buying a Nokia WP anytime soon.
So Nokia makes new apps and features, and puts them on their phones. Hopefully Nokia phones get popular and sell well. Then more people will have Windows Phones, and therefore the platform will attract more developers. Those developers will make apps for the whole platform, not only Nokia..
So we're all benefiting sooner or later. Thank Nokia for choosing Windows Phone over Android while Android could possibly get them more money.
Current Devices:
HTC Radar 4G ^ Windows Phone HD2O (RTM Edition) ^
Acer Iconia Tab A500 ^ ICS 4.0.3 ^
iPod Touch 4G ^ iOS 6.0 ^

Strike_Eagle
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Well, that's depends, i don't have a problem with Nokia has something to drag people to their Windows Phone product, since they are moving from their backbone Symbian / Belle to rely on Windows Phone, they will have to be sure that they can offer people nice stuffs when we buy their product.
Marketing Strategy .
Device.Boot();
await Carrier.UnlockSim();
finally {
SocialMedia.Post(" I'm Awesome! #wpdev");
}

thebobp
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post
That's not "fragmentation," it's "exclusivity."

Different issue.
Yeah, just like only some phones have android 4.0, only some others have android 2.3, etc. That's not "fragmentation", that's "exclusivity".
The Following User Says Thank You to thebobp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kevyn82
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobp View Post
Yeah, just like only some phones have android 4.0, only some others have android 2.3, etc. That's not "fragmentation", that's "exclusivity".
That's fragmentation. And it is a completely different matter, because for instance some app will require Android 4.0 or above, like right now there are some that requires 2.3 or above, like there are apps that require iPhone 4 or above (and in this case I'm not talking about iOs, there are apps that won't run on iPhone 3GS). The same will it happen with WP8.

And still, iPhone and android are still there stronger than ever
always up-to-date

thebobp
Old
(Last edited by thebobp; 10th May 2012 at 08:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyn82 View Post
That's fragmentation. And it is a completely different matter, because for instance some app will require Android 4.0 or above, like right now there are some that requires 2.3 or above, like there are apps that require iPhone 4 or above (and in this case I'm not talking about iOs, there are apps that won't run on iPhone 3GS). The same will it happen with WP8.
Exactly the same as what's happening here. An app can not be installed (short of a developer account, now that chevron is no more) on anything besides a nokia phone. An app requires a Samsung phone to be installed. Or it requires an HTC phone.

True, the fragmentation is along different lines (company rather than OS version#), but the effect is precisely the same.

WhyBe
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzibit View Post
Saw this great article (http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-causi...exclusive-apps) and it's worth discussion. Actually I'm pissed about what Nokia is doing. Is it by force to use a Nokia device?? If I dont, why I'm I being punnised for it by not getting some good apps?

Nokia has made moves to gain some big titles (and leverage) for their hardware. Who does it hurt? Who does it benefit and is it a good thing? I say a BIG NO, it's not a good thing. Good for Nokia but not for the OS (Windows Phone)

The real deal is, Nokia’s strategy to get these apps and games on their hardware will definetely hurt Windows Phone and I can see Nokia's Version of Windows Phone coming out real soon and it aint good.

Pissed this morning, Always Nokia, Nokia, Nokia all ove the news with exclusive good apps.....WTF
Nokia is the only real WP manufacturer. The others were playing games (no pun) with innovation and hardware design. Nokia and MS are two sinking ships (in smartphone world) and they need to do what's necessary to make their share of the smartphone pie significant. The other manufacturers have Android to fall back on. MS and Nokia don't.

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Exactly the same as what's happening here. An app can not be installed (short of a developer account, now that chevron is no more) on anything besides a nokia phone. An app requires a Samsung phone to be installed. Or it requires an HTC phone.

True, the fragmentation is along different lines (company rather than OS version#), but the effect is precisely the same.
You're munging ideas. I bet those same android people would be ecstatic if the fact that only some devices got ICS today, and all would tomorrow. They don't get ICS tomorrow because of fragmentation (specifically hardware limitations and carrier reluctance to put in the effort to upgrade those devices).

It's a totally different story with what Nokia is doing (and don't forget, the OS maker Microsoft is with them on this). These apps come to everyone. They are priming the development pump and getting more 3rd party developers involved and invested in the OS by subsidizing them and helping with the development of these apps.

It would only be 'exactly the same' if HTC or Motorola / AT&T or Sprint or Verizon refused to ALLOW the 'upgrade' (installation of these new apps) on older devices because they had to invest as well. No investment required on their part here - the apps will be there for them too so... there's really not much more to say =)

ohgood
Old
Thanks Meter 96
hmm. requiring OS a and phone hardware from vender b for app c to be compatible... is not fragmentation ?

i guess if/when w8 comes out the fragmentation song will change a note or two and be sung more quietly ?
U jealous of ice cream duuude ?

Everybody on here that's mad and complaining got smoked by a Windows Phone.

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
hmm. requiring OS a and phone hardware from vender b for app c to be compatible... is not fragmentation ?

i guess if/when w8 comes out the fragmentation song will change a note or two and be sung more quietly ?
-1 for going off topic from OP, -1 for making no sense. Subtract 2 more if you thought you were / did. I just can't find the 'no thanks' button...
The Following User Says Thank You to eknutson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sitizenx
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Question Have you seen REAL fragmentation before?

Quote:
No. Nokia paying for exclusivity WITH ITS OWN MONEY is not the same as the Andriod market. Gawd knows how many versions are out there with millions of devices unable to use the current version and numerous apps unable to run on previous versions.

Play whatever nomenclature games you want but what Nokia is doing is never going to result in this...

OS incompatibility affects numerous apps. There are only a handful of exclusivity deals. Anyone that thinks the exclusivity deals will result in a situation as global disruptive as what is going on in Android is deluding themselves.

Furthmore as the install base of Windows Phone grows apps developers won't need any incentives to make apps and these types of exclusivity deals will go away. Frankly the people who make good apps won't want exclusivity. They will be able to make more money by having their app available on more handsets. Unfortunately what is going on in the Android universe will not go away. It's just the nature of the model.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.