5,600,429 Members 32,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][1.6+] Balance update / USSD blocker

Tip us?

talkative
Old
(Last edited by talkative; 20th May 2012 at 06:57 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Lightbulb [APP][1.6+] Balance update / USSD blocker

Hi Folks,

Some carriers send a USSD balance update message after each call, and sometimes after each data session on prepaid plans. This is very annoying, and SMS blockers won't stop these USSD messages.

I wrote an app to block USSD messages by keywords or regex. Works well for me in blocking my carrier's balance update messages.

My first android app, so please let me know if I can do something better.

Credits to commandus.com/blog/?p=58 for showing how to intercept these messages using the undocumented hook.

App is "com.melkote.quietbalance" on Google App Store. The v1.0 of the app is also attached to this post.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.quietbalance
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to talkative For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ggs2
Old
(Last edited by ggs2; 10th May 2012 at 04:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkative View Post
Hi Folks,

Some carriers send a USSD balance update message after each call, and sometimes after each data session on prepaid plans. This is very annoying, and SMS blockers won't stop these USSD messages.

I wrote an app to block USSD messages by keywords or regex. Works well for me in blocking my carrier's balance update messages.

My first android app, so please let me know if I can do something better.

Credits to commandus.com/blog/?p=58 for showing how to intercept these messages using the undocumented hook.

App is "com.melkote.quietbalance" on Google App Store. The v1.0 of the app is also attached to this post.
isn't working
Using galaxy s2 (AOKP 1CS ) If that matters.
I selected keyword and its not blocking ....
Edit: working, my bad didn't restart.thanks it's what i was looking for :)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggs2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hacktock
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Works perfectly (Galaxy S2 with CM9)

I've been looking for something like this for a long time but I just wasn't sure how to do it. I was told that these messages are not exactly USSD because USSD requires a code to be sent.

Also, thanks for the link to the blog with the sample code. I was looking for a way to make a widget that updates automatically using the intercepted message.

sanghaviraj
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Default a big thanks

Thanks a lot, just what i need,i have requested for this in numerous forums, the only reply i got was it's operator based, contact your operator btwn you should reboot after seeting the matching words,
In my case the matching words are,last,call,
U can set this according to your ussd, n once you set you are ready to go,if some one wishes to be know their balance their can try prepay widget , n since it's not free i would like this feature to be incorporated in this app,
s2 running ics remix,

talkative
Old
(Last edited by talkative; 20th May 2012 at 07:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback, here and elsewhere.

I've updated the app to ver 1.1 - this version adds a screen to show the last 25 messages and action taken (block or allow) and fixes a bug with blocking frequency.

You must reboot your phone if you update from 1.0 to 1.1 (or install either version).

As I'm a new XDA user, I can't edit the original post (due to presence of URL). So I've attached the APK to this post. If any moderators can move the APK file to the first post, it'll be great!

Thanks!
Talkative
Attached Files
File Type: apk quietbalance.apk - [Click for QR Code] (17.8 KB, 337 views)

delhipeoplecool
Old
Thanks Meter 2
how to block idea data usage msg. ths app not banning class 0 message i.e. data usage

sanghaviraj
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I'm on airtel n it's working for my data messages, so it should work on idea also
Just place the words that appear in your data balance ussd, like mb,last,charge,etcn you should be fine, you should reboot to get it started

from raj's s2

milestone97
Old
Thanks Meter 4
do an tutorial please

aldredd
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm on Airtel in India, and worked a charm - thank you very much!

I managed to use it on several messages that come through with different wording using the Keyword List.

Thanks again!

Now, what would be *really* useful is a widget that takes the info from the messages and displays the latest balance info - although there are other aps that do that

hacktock
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldredd View Post
Now, what would be *really* useful is a widget that takes the info from the messages and displays the latest balance info
+1