Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ICS OTA & Kies update released [LPY] [Germany]

Tip us?

matius44
Old
Thanks Meter 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobase40 View Post
Well, in fact the PRO version is supposed to have more features, but the Lite version isn't working as supposed to be a Lite one.

So haven't find out a way to root and backup the stock GB before moving to this ICS version... ^^
I'll wait after an already rooted version as I also need to change the CSC file.
Search and you will find your answer mate

You can now flash a prerooted GB ROM with no wipe option, thus gaining root without losing data

Flash CF-Root kernel of said ROM using "the non-working" Mobile Odin

Make the backup you want of your GB ROM

Get the ICS ROM tar, unpack it and replace the CSC file with the one you like, also replace the zImage with the new released CF-Root

Again, use "the non-working" Mobile Odin and point it to the files you just downloaded, replaced and copied to your sd card

Profit
Thanks a lot chasmodo, great friends are rare these days
The Following User Says Thank You to matius44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

badrang
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Just a noob question. I'm coming from CM9. Do i need to flash zImage in kernel using mobile odin to get root? Or just flash the *.md5 file without the zImage?

Thanks in advance.

atsavlis
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Guys I am currently running criskelos v2 ICS. Is it fine if I flash using mobile odin?? Or do I have to downgrade to GB and then flash using mobile odin? I will be following Dr Kretan's method, just not too sure if I can flash directly over criskelos.
The Following User Says Thank You to atsavlis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Arobase40
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by matius44 View Post
I hope you're not talking about warez? cause that's forbidden here in XDA..

Contact ChainfireXDA if you want to have alternative payment methods..
Nope ! I'm in the same position with google and my CC account... ^^

I once asked the same question to another dev I wanted to pay his app, but he never replied so just wondered if it was allowed to ask this question...

hkgrob
Old
Thanks Meter 99
To be safe, downgrade to GB. The extra 10 mins will be worth the piece of mind

Arobase40
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsson View Post
Hm, just tried, flashed the Cache.img through mobile Odin pro, using cache and directed towards the file, flashed, same issue as before! Damn itīs late here got to go to work in a few hours, will be wasted ;)
Will try to solve the problem later today! If anyone has an Idea please let me know!
Hmmmm, maybe you could remove the actual one from the german ICS and replace it with the one you want...

Or make the Cache.img file a tar ball with -cf option and flash it with Odin PC or Odin Mobile (???) ??? ^^

crusty210
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does the new official German ICS rom work on a non european model? I've got an imported model from India

rizdroid
Old
(Last edited by rizdroid; 11th May 2012 at 04:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 406
Post Easy root method, no counter, no triangle, no hassle

Just to let you all know there is another easy root method. It fits the needs of those who don't want to increase binary counter and want to avoid that annoying triangle, I mean, don't want to flash an alternative kernel... or aren't rooted already and, consequently, aren't able to use Mobile Odin.

What you will need:
Once you have flashed official LPY (via Odin or Kies) and ICS is up & running...
  • Copy the files you've downloaded to the external SD
  • Turn SGNote off
  • Hold Volume Up and Menu keys down and press power button til Sammy's logo shows up
  • Use Volume Down to highlight "apply update from external storage" option
  • Press power button to select
  • Use Volume Down to highlight CWM.zip
  • Wait few seconds til ClockWorkMod shows up
  • Tap on "install zip from sdcard"
  • Tap on "choose zip from internal sdcard"" (don't ask me why! )
  • Tap on SU-Installer-signed.zip
  • Tap on Yes - Install SU-Installer-signed.zip
  • Wait a couple of ms
  • Tap on "Go Back"
  • Tap on "reboot system now"

Done!!! You're rooted, no counter, no triangle, no alternative kernel, no hassle!

CREDITS GO TO Rachmat3 @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1501719 ... I just tested the above mentioned root method on Galaxy Note LPY.
Just an androider
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rizdroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Peter Galbavy
Old
(Last edited by Peter Galbavy; 11th May 2012 at 03:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 42
I gave up on Kies last night and went home from work. This morning I rebooted my laptop/PC after the first update failed (always worth rebooting Windows, lets face it, especially after new driver install like the update seems to do) and then left it this morning while going for breakfast. Came back all OK.

So far, so cute. Feels more responsive for sure.

Arobase40
Old
(Last edited by Arobase40; 11th May 2012 at 03:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by matius44 View Post
Search and you will find your answer mate

You can now flash a prerooted GB ROM with no wipe option, thus gaining root without losing data

Flash CF-Root kernel of said ROM using "the non-working" Mobile Odin

Make the backup you want of your GB ROM

Get the ICS ROM tar, unpack it and replace the CSC file with the one you like, also replace the zImage with the new released CF-Root

Again, use "the non-working" Mobile Odin and point it to the files you just downloaded, replaced and copied to your sd card

Profit
Thanks for the suggestions bro, but I'm not planning to do it this way : downgrading then upgrading... ^^

I have had a stock GB version (can't remember which one) which was rooted with a working CWM. I then used "the non-working" Mobile Odin with a (non working ?) OTA Rootkeeper before I flashed a LC1 with LB2 baseband ROM (can't even remember why this specific version. ^^), then just lost root and CWM. I then remembered ChainFire got in trouble when he created the "I9220_ZC_LP5_REPACK.zip" file and can't remember if you were suggesting this one or the "SGN_XX_OXA_KJ1_FACTORYFS.zip", but I then saw all the mess with all ROM based on the chinese ICS leak with the Samsung bugged eMMC driver, that just cooled me down for a while. ^^

I was just curious on how this was going on with this german ICS version and prepared plan on upgrading, but I'm not in a hurry anymore at flashing it even tho I feel itchy at doing it.

Btw, I just remembered I couldn't buy and installed the PRO Odin Mobile version since it needs I get root first and I'm not willing to downgrade before I understand what I'm doing.

I spend almost 18 month at fashing different ROMs and things on my GT P1000, and I thought I knew alot, and now just realized that with GNote and Galaxy S Plus devices I know nothing and I feel I downgraded myself !!! ROTFL

I almost damage the GT P1000 internal SD Card when I tried to downgrade it, got a hardware failure with a Galaxy S Plus that even Samsung repair center couldn't fix, got a cwm boot loop with an ASUS TF101 and now the Gnote all at the same time... So I'll just keep watching at you guys playing with this ICS ROM and get informed atm before I feel ready to do any further changes.

I'll just do a restock clean flash with my TF101.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution mate.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizdroid View Post
Just to let you all know there is another easy root method. It fits the needs of those who don't want to increase binary counter and want to avoid that annoying triangle, I mean, don't want to flash an alternative kernel... or aren't rooted already and, consequently, aren't able to use Mobile Odin.

What you will need:
Once you have flashed official LPY (via Odin or Kies) and ICS is up & running...
  • Copy the files you've downloaded to the external SD
  • Turn SGNote off
  • Hold Volume Up and Menu keys down and press power button til Sammy's logo shows up
  • Use Volume Down to highlight "apply update from external storage" option
  • Use Volume Down to highlight CWM.zip
  • Wait few seconds til ClockWorkMod shows up
  • Tap on "install zip from sdcard"
  • Tap on "choose zip from internal sdcard"" (don't ask me why! )
  • Tap on SU-Installer-signed.zip
  • Tap on Yes - Install SU-Installer-signed.zip
  • Wait a couple of ms
  • Tap on "Go Back"
  • Tap on "reboot system now"

Done!!! You're rooted, no counter, no triangle, no alternative kernel, no hassle!

CREDITS GO TO Rachmat3 @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1501719 ... I just tested the above mentioned root method on Galaxy Note LPY.
Will this work with a LC1-LB2 GB ROM ??? ^^