5,597,397 Members 30,581 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Zopo ZP100 (MediaTek MT6575) - ICS upgrade guide

Tip us?

cactuz
Old
(Last edited by cactuz; 23rd July 2012 at 07:36 AM.) Reason: English IMEI tool needs English as system language.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Lightbulb Zopo ZP100 (MediaTek MT6575) - ICS upgrade guide

Since there isn't much information (in English) about how to upgrade the Zopo ZP100 phone to ICS I've now done it myself (after reading a lot of Russian forums using Google Translate I finally took the plunge into the deep end of the pool and just did it).

Files needed
ICS ROM (b79):
http://narod.ru/disk/48456521001.eee...14151.rar.html

Root:
http://files.dangerd.org/pub/ZP100//...OT%20by008.rar

Flashtool:
http://narod.ru/disk/44888871001.eec...06.01.zip.html

USB Drivers (and a flashtool I didn't use):
http://chinamobiles.org/downloads/zap/ZP100fix.zip

CWM Recovery:
http://files.dangerd.org/pub/ZP100//recovery.img

First of all: Make a note of your IMEI-number(s)

Download the files and unpack all (in seperate folders).
Shutdown the phone and plug it in via USB, Windows will search for a driver which you find in the package ZP100fix.zip (different inf-files depending on windows version).

Unplug phone, remove the battery.
Replace the recovery.img from the ICS ROM with the one downloaded seperately.
Start flashutil.
Load Scatter-file: MT6575_Android_scatter_emmc2.txt
Make sure that Options -> USB Mode is selected.
Click Download
Connect phone (still with no battery, at least I had to leave it out).
Flashing begins.

When all is done it displays an "OK window".
Now reboot the phone and when booted connect to USB again and run Root.bat from the package: zopo zp100 4.0root by008"
Follow on-screen instructions.

I did not need to install any separate Google Apps, it was included in the ROM.

Now you need to add some IMEI-numbers to your phone.
In the original ROM I could only ever see one IMEI for my zp100, so I wrote that down.
IMEI2 I took from an old Nokia I hadn't used for a few years.

Use terminal app or adb shell or whatever to execute the following (replace IMEI_1 and IMEI_2 with your IMEI's):
echo 'AT + EGMR = 1,7, "IMEI_1"'> /dev/pttycmd1
echo 'AT + EGMR = 1,10, "IMEI_2"'> /dev/pttycmd1

Update: Zopo IMEI Tool in English can be downloaded from here: http://depositfiles.com/files/wi41lcuvb (should eliminate the need for the terminal-hack above). If the system language on your phone isn't set to English the utility will be displayed in Chinese by default, so setup your phone to use English before running it.

If you want your external sdcard mounted as /sdcard (/mnt/sdcard) instead of /mnt/sdcard2 you have to replace the /etc/vold.fstab with the following:
http://www.cactuz.net/files/zp100/vold.fstab
Use root-explorer (make a backup of the old one) to replace it, then shutdown your phone and remove the battery, then plug it all back in and start again and your external sdcard shoudl be mounted on /sdcard (/mnt/sdcard) instead.

Hope this helps.
I'll report back here with any bugs etc.

To use RecoveryMod I have to chose it from the menu in MobileUncle Tools or ClockWorkMod Rom Manager, I have not been able to boot to CWM using VolUp+Power.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cactuz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cactuz
Old
(Last edited by cactuz; 10th May 2012 at 11:03 PM.) Reason: updates
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Some of my favorite apps can't be downloaded from Google Play Market:
Vignette
Endomondo Pro
Snowstorm Weather Widget
GPS Status

I have been able to restore them all using MyBackup Pro and they are running fine, they just aren't compatible according to Play Market.
So any app you really need is good to make a backup of using MyBackup (or Titanium or any other backup app of your choice) so you can restore it if it can't be installed using market after the ICS upgrade.

Note that all these apps can be installed fine on my other devices using ICS (HTC Desire with CM9 and Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 with CM9 or AOKP) so it's this ROM that is the issue AFAIK.

DaveKnowsAll
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thank you ... I'll follow up in a couple weeks

Ordered my zopo yesterday (for the second time -- waited 2 weeks from the first store (merimobiles) and then cancelled when they still hadn't shipped it. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time.)

I appreciate you posting this info and will try it out when I get the phone.

cactuz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Good luck Dave,

I ordered mine from etotalk.com, got it in about a week with DHL used for shipping.
I've updated the first post with some more info in regards to RecoveryMod and mounting external SDcard as /mnt/sdcard (/sdcard).

Since I use this phone daily I will probably not experiment much with it until any new official release is available. But the current one (b79) is good enough.

There are quite a lot of crappy chinese apps (crappy since I don't know what they do and they aren't translated into a language I can understand) installed with this ROM bit they can all be removed using the normal App-menu in the system settings.

rohit_shah000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question imei no.

hello, u said that u have write the imei no. of old nokia phone which u don't use. i want to know that can i also change both the imei no. as i m from india and in india only valid imei no. works, and i m planning to purchase this phone but i am afraid that if the imei no. are not according to india then it will not work so i just wanted to know that if i write my old dual sim phone imei to zopo zp100, will it work without any problem.

cactuz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
rohit: I can't say for sure if the phone actually reports two IMEI's to the service provider, but at least it displays two IMEI's when I check "About phone" in the sytem settings.
Sorry I can't say if it works or not in India.

buntybauva
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Thumbs up hello

hyy , i have ihtc one x aka b79 , followed your procedure it works gr8. but i am facing a problem with usb mass storage and am not able to lock into gps any possibilities to fix this error? and does anyone has an access to orignal android 2.3.4 rom for b79 , to restore to previous bug free state?

rohit_shah000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKnowsAll View Post
Ordered my zopo yesterday (for the second time -- waited 2 weeks from the first store (merimobiles) and then cancelled when they still hadn't shipped it. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time.)

I appreciate you posting this info and will try it out when I get the phone.
hiii from which website did u ordered this phone i am also planning to ordere thinking to order from ttmalls.com is it trustable

rohit_shah000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
official android 4.0 is announced.

carabaothai
Old
(Last edited by carabaothai; 13th May 2012 at 10:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy Newby with ZP100

I have bought a ZP100 with Pandawill.
Received yesterday. Wait around 10 days from China to France

It seems to be ok but there is no Android Market application (or Android Play store)
So i cannot download my applications that i bought with older phone and my phone is not interesting without applications

There is a chinese application looks like a chinese android market but ... i am french and chinese is only beautiful drawings for me.
I difficultly download some but cannot find others

If i change ICS (what is ICS ? System ?) will i resolve my problem ?
I download 2 files (http://www.zopomobile.com/xiazai.php) this morning but i don't know how to install it and afraid there is only chinese language
MP_MT75_h932_h5500_zwx_20120419-203646_ZYQ_PC.rar
ZP100_20120510new4.0.rar (think is the last android version)

I flashed ROM very often on Windows mobile samsung phones i900 and GTi8000 but i don't know Android (just install Android as 2nd system on GTi8000 Samsung). Hope someone can explain me what to do to improve the basic system

Other problem : sometimes i have no network on the 2 SIMs, all stop. I must stop and reboot the phone. Has somebody the same problem ?

Last : how to switch to recovery mode ?

Thanks

Tags
mediatek, mtk6575