5,603,646 Members 36,856 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Multitasking is a joke on the One X!

Tip us?

NextNexus
Old
(Last edited by NextNexus; 10th May 2012 at 02:06 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default Multitasking is a joke on the One X!

What in the world did HTC do to Android ICS mulitasking!? Apps seem to be completely removed from cache every single time they're closed for ~30 seconds. They also no longer re-open in the same state that you left them! If I leave the browser, it needs to reload the web page. If I leave a game, I need to start from the beginning. If I pause and exit Slacker radio for a minute, the app closes and I can't even resume my music with the headphones button! I need to re-open the app and start playing all over again.

With my old Galaxy Nexus I never had ANY of these issues and multitasking was clearly the best of any smartphone on the market. HTC has completely crippled this device and it's becoming more and more frustrating (push email notifications & sms notifications are a whole other mess). It seems HTC has created Sense to focus more on preserving battery than focusing on creating a good user experience. The first few days with the phone were great but as more and more of these "instances" pop up, this phone is beginning to seem less and less powerful and intuitive.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NextNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextNexus View Post
What in the world did HTC do to Android ICS mulitasking!? Apps seem to be completely removed from cache every single time they're closed for ~30 seconds. They also no longer re-open in the same state that you left them! If I leave the browser, it needs to reload the web page. If I leave a game, I need to start from the beginning. If I pause and exit Slacker radio for a minute, the app closes and I can't even resume my music with the headphones button! I need to re-open the app and start playing all over again.

With my old Galaxy Nexus I never had ANY of these issues and multitasking was clearly the best of any smartphone on the market. HTC has completely crippled this device and it's becoming more and more frustrating (push email notifications & sms notifications are a whole other mess). It seems HTC has created Sense to focus more on preserving battery than focusing on creating a good user experience. The first few days with the phone were great but as more and more of these "instances" pop up, this phone is beginning to seem less and less powerful and intuitive.
I agree, they're using very aggressive memory management.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTC One - 2.17 Stock (4.2.2) || Nexus 4 - CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable ||

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
I agree, they're using very aggressive memory management.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
So much so that multitasking seemed significantly more advanced on my iPhone 4S. This is supposed to be Android's strong suit!
The Following User Says Thank You to NextNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aimetti
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Ya its not even like saved state. Its just a new icon for your previously opened apps.

This is one area where I wish I still had my gnex. HOwever everything else is better on this phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aimetti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mastibeta
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
With root available, you can probably tweak this a bit with the likes of auto killer, or a similar min free tweaking app.

demarton
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Music works fine, hell it even remember my last song and position played after a reboot, using htc music.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demarton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wrxdrunkie
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I made two videos of the problem:

If I just tried to copy and paste these links and make this post on my one x it would have never worked, would have kept reloading the page and forget everything I typed. Lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrxdrunkie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NextNexus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarton View Post
Music works fine, hell it even remember my last song and position played after a reboot, using htc music.
HTC Music is an HTC developed app so it's possible they tweaked their own app to work well. I listen to most of my music online and prefer Slacker radio which has been nothing short of a disaster with this device b/c of the multitasking issues.

dharani1234
Old
(Last edited by dharani1234; 10th May 2012 at 02:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarton View Post
Does streaming google music play(app) work in the background ( while using navigation or a browser ) ?
The Following User Says Thank You to dharani1234 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mastibeta
Old
(Last edited by mastibeta; 10th May 2012 at 02:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
With auto killer, i just tested, and i can keep 3 apps running in the memory. Try it out.

edit* scratch that, i tryed after a few minutes of inactivity, reloads.