Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] How to root Stock ICS rom without binary count

Tip us?

deathst
Old
(Last edited by original_ganjaman; 2nd August 2012 at 06:11 PM.) Reason: Support for this thread has ended due to time constrains of school
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 156
Exclamation [Guide] How to root Stock ICS rom without binary count

I'm no longer providing support for this thread due to time constrains with school, thank you for your support and it been nice sharing this method with you all. I may be gone but this method has still been reported as working, but it is possible that the next updates pushed to your phone might break the rooting and this method might not work anymore. But there is no harm in trying, at most you get an error in recovery saying file is invalid.

This method works on the released ICS rom from Germany and I would expect it to work for the rest of the ICS roms due for release..

This method does not increase the binary counter or causes a yellow exclamation mark

Update :
Due to rising numbers of phone being bricked based on rumors and stuff, I strongly suggest NOT trying to use any nandroid backup or restore on this CWM and it is best we keep CWM out of our devices to do major I/O stuff. So far I have never seen anyone bricked their devices on this small rooting/unrooting process but JUST DO NOT MAKE BACKUPS OR RESTORES!

Rooting
  1. Download the Files first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
  2. Reboot to stock recovery. - Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
  3. Choose apply update from external storage. - Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options.
  4. Choose CWM.zip and wait until CWM recovery appear.
    ( From this point on, the volume rockers and power buttons do not work! It is now a Touch interface like how you use the phone normally )
  5. Choose install zip from external SD
  6. Choose and Install SU-Busybox-Installer.zip
  7. Reboot
  8. You are done and now your device is Rooted

Unroot
  1. Download this File first and put in your EXTERNAL SD
  2. Reboot to recovery.- Shutdown your device completely, press and hold Vol Up + Power button + Home, releasing the power buttons once you see the Samsung GALAXY Note N7000 screen but continue to hold the Vol Up and Power buttons still until you enter recovery
  3. Choose apply update from external storage.- Touch the screen as if you are using the phone to choose the options
  4. Choose CWM.zip and wait until CWM recovery appear.
    ( From this point on, the volume rockers and power buttons do not work! It is now a Touch interface like how you use the phone normally )
  5. Choose install zip from External SD
  6. Choose and Install SU-Uninstaller-Signed.zip
  7. Reboot
  8. You are done and now your device is Unrooted

Partial Root
Alright i managed to obtain partial root myself and a fix for the Partial root is quite simple. You can install SuperSU by Chainfire and update the root. would fix the Partial root. Once you install this.. DO NOT USE the Superuser app and DO NOT uninstall the SuperUser app. Use SuperSU from now.

SuperSU - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....supersu&hl=en

MOD Edit: cwm.zip removed from the attachments, read Entropy512's post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SU-Busybox-Installer.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.14 MB, 72123 views)
File Type: zip SU-Uninstaller-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (241.4 KB, 33758 views)
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to deathst For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KaliKot
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Thanks, but does this install CWM as well? id like to know so that I can go straight to flashing roms from it

nightfox11
Old
Thanks Meter 158
are you sure this works ? can anyone confirm ?
Sony Xperia Z Stock
Galaxy s4 WICKED
Galaxy Note 2 Jedi Master
Nexus 10 Stock rooted 4.3
Note 10.1 Stock Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfox11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kvanlier
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox11 View Post
are you sure this works ? can anyone confirm ?
Works perfectly. Just rooted stock ICS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kvanlier For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

akenis
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Got a brand new Note in the box here.....

Trying to get things straight. Seems like I have two options now for rooted official ICS.

1. This method. Update official ICS Via PC odin (no binary counter, ect) and then follow above instructions.

2. Root stock gb via old method (not sure what that is yet) and then use the mobile odin proceedures w/ new ICS CF kernel?

Is the end result gonna be the same?

Bonus question for noob: what is binary counter and red triangle/exclamation point?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akenis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nightfox11
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanlier View Post
Works perfectly. Just rooted stock ICS.
thanks man!
Sony Xperia Z Stock
Galaxy s4 WICKED
Galaxy Note 2 Jedi Master
Nexus 10 Stock rooted 4.3
Note 10.1 Stock Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfox11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

victorator
Old
Thanks Meter 2,343
Did you just copy this thread?

Oh well. No harm done I guess. Of course it works. It's a method for all android phones. Temporary cwm so you can copy busybox to /system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victorator For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5,652
Yeah it looks like it, but since it actually works i can't see why that would be a bad thing. But i would give the original author credits in the first post; that is if you copied it.

matius44
Old
Thanks Meter 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by akenis View Post
Got a brand new Note in the box here.....

Trying to get things straight. Seems like I have two options now for rooted official ICS.

1. This method. Update official ICS Via PC odin (no binary counter, ect) and then follow above instructions.

2. Root stock gb via old method (not sure what that is yet) and then use the mobile odin proceedures w/ new ICS CF kernel?

Is the end result gonna be the same?

Bonus question for noob: what is binary counter and red triangle/exclamation point?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
Yes you will end up with the same result if you take either one of the 2 ways to root

Binary counter is a Samsung measurement of how many times you flashed custom firmwares using PC Odin, and the yellow (not red ) triangle is just a logo to further show that you indeed flashed custom firmware

However, the binary counter will not increase (and therefore no yellow triangle will appear) if you:

1. Flash stock firmware with PC Odin
2. Flash using Mobile Odin app by ChainfireXDA
3. Flash using CWM recovery
Thanks a lot chasmodo, great friends are rare these days
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matius44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

panhavuth
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I got binary counted to 1 with yellow triangle after flashing ics stock from alba.can i use this method to erase counter and triangle?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe