[TIP] How to install Clockworkmod Recovery (detailed instructions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Moderator Edit 12/8/12
Do not use this this method twrp is officially supported for the one x. Download goo manager from the market or check the dev section.

It is not my intention to step on the toes of other people who have been more than helpful when it comes to questions relating to the installation of this or that.

Although I am reasonably familiar with many of the installation procedures when it comes to ROMs and Kernels, including Clockworkmod Recovery, etc., I am still a bit hesitant because I simply want to make sure that I am not making a mistake. After all, we spend lots of money on our phones, and the slightest error can be permanent.

I respect and admire all the developers who work tirelessly to make our lives a little bit better, and who often fulfill our ongoing need to “fiddle” with our phones. Thank you!

That being said, here is a detailed explanation of how to install Clockworkmod Recovery.

First, your bootloader must be unlocked. It doesn’t matter if you have the “TAMPERED” entry; this procedure will still work. Second, you must also have all necessary mobile phone drivers installed, including ADB, ADB drivers, and fastboot. From this point forward, I will call all these files your “Fastboot” files. If you don’t have these files, you can download them by clicking on the link at the end of this post.

At this point I’m assuming you’ve placed your Fastboot files in a separate folder within the root directory of your PC (the “C” drive?). I put these files in a folder called fastboot, but it really doesn’t matter, as long as you remember the location.

Here’s an image from my Windows Explorer screen to give you an idea of what I did:

FBD.png

So, here we go …

Download the Clockworkmod Recovery image file and change the name to CWM.img. This is an easy name to remember, which will help further along in these instructions.

Place your newly-named CWM.img file in the directory where your Fastboot files are located.

Power down your device.

While holding VOLUME DOWN, press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds. Continue to hold VOLUME DOWN until your bootloader screen appears.

Somewhere in the middle of your bootloader screen will be seven entries entitled FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK, IMAGE CRC, and POWER DOWN.

Using your VOLUME keys, make sure FASTBOOT is highlighted, and then press the POWER button once.

You should now be in the FASTBOOT Bootloader screen. On my ONE X, and I’m assuming the same for everyone, the word FASTBOOT will be highlighted with a RED background. Either way, it should be highlighted.

Connect device to your PC via USB cable.

If all is going well, the word FASTBOOT should now say FASTBOOT USB. From this point forward, do not touch the device.

Open a Command Prompt window on your PC (Press the Start button, and in the search field type cmd, and then press Enter). Here’s an example of how your Command Prompt window may look:

CPW1.png

You must now change the directory to where your Fastboot files are located. As I mentioned above, mine are in the directory c:\fastboot. Therefore, I would need to type the following command in the Command Prompt window: cd c:\fastboot

The “cd” refers to “change directory,” while the rest is where your Fastboot files are located. Here’s how your Command Prompt window will look like after you’ve typed the above, and BEFORE you press the Enter key.

CPW2.png

Here’s an example of how your Command Prompt window will appear AFTER you press the Enter key:

CPW3.png

Next you need to type the following: fastboot flash recovery CWM.img

Renaming the file to CWM.img simplifies the above entry because this name is easy to remember.

Here’s how your Command Prompt window will appear BEFORE you press the Enter key:

CPW4.png

Now press the Enter key and let the program run.

The entire installation/flash will take only a few seconds. When complete, your Command Prompt window will return to your fastboot directory (see image below).

CPW5.png

Ignore the error in my image above, the line called error: cannot load ‘CWM.img’

This error message appeared ONLY because I didn’t want to install Clockworkmod Recovery on my device a second time. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?

Reboot your device.

DONE! You now have Clockworkmod Recovery on your phone.

These instructions are available in PDF format by clicking on the link at the end of this post.

Peter

Here's the link to the Clockworkmod Recovery file:

Clockworkmod Recovery Image
Detailed Instructions
Fastboot Files

Last edited by a moderator:

bongd

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the excellent guide, Peter!

We were all hardcore newbies at one point and while it's annoying to see them ask redundant questions or ones that have been answered in the first post of a thread, you have to have some sympathy for them. Especially when they do something like get a soft-bricked device and begin to panic.

sm625614

Apr 27, 2011
Peter i am following your instructions to a tee but when i try to push cwm i get the same error that shows up on your screen, i am rooted and bootloader unlocked. Can someone help
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott> cd c:\fastboot

c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
error: cannot load 'CWM.img'

c:\fastboot>

I hope I'm not patronizing, but ...

Peter i am following your instructions to a tee but when i try to push cwm i get the same error that shows up on your screen, i am rooted and bootloader unlocked. Can someone help
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott> cd c:\fastboot

c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
error: cannot load 'CWM.img'

c:\fastboot>

I hope I don't insult you, but did you connect the phone to your PC via USB? The reason I ask is that I got my error message because I disconnected my phone prior to hitting the Enter key. As I mentioned, I didn't want to install it a second time and risk doing something harmful.

Did you also get FASTBOOT USB highlighted on your device after you plugged it in?

Peter

Addendum: Don't forget that these entries in your Command Prompt are case sensitive. Capital letters must remain as capitals, and small letters as small ... exactly as shown in my instructions. Again, I hope I'm not patronizing anyone. That's not my intention.

Reactions: sm625614

sm625614

Apr 27, 2011
Of course your not insulting me, your just being detailed lol. The phone is 100% connected to the computer via USB. I am in fastboot mode with FASTBOOT USE highlighted in red. I am following you instructions perfectly and i got the same error. Do you think i should reinstall htc sync to reinstall the drivers. I am quite lost here on why this is not working.

Did you ...

Of course your not insulting me, your just being detailed lol. The phone is 100% connected to the computer via USB. I am in fastboot mode with FASTBOOT USE highlighted in red. I am following you instructions perfectly and i got the same error. Do you think i should reinstall htc sync to reinstall the drivers. I am quite lost here on why this is not working.

One thing I should have included in my first post (I will amend it shortly), is a link to the actual Clockworkmod Recovery file, which is currently available on another thread.

Did you download THAT file?

Peter

Addendum: Clockworkmod Recovery Files link now included in original post

Addendum 2: Re-installing HTC Sync might be helpful. It's what I would eventually do.

Last edited:

sm625614

Apr 27, 2011
YES i have that file and i renamed it to the CWM.img name that you recommended. What do you think i should do?

Hmm, I would ...

YES i have that file and i renamed it to the CWM.img name that you recommended. What do you think i should do?

Well, I'm not entirely sure. What I would do is start all over again after restarting your PC and Phone. If it does not work then, uninstall and reinstall HTC sync. After that, I'm stumped. Sorry.

Peter

zonk7ate9

Jun 11, 2010

Do you have a file named "CWM.img" in the same folder as fastboot? That part of the command is telling fastboot which file to install. Make sure the image file is named correctly, or you can alter the command to reflect the name of the file.

bigballa

Feb 24, 2009
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
I think you should write it into the title and the post saying for now this is only for Rogers users. It might cause a problem bbecause you said even if the bootloader ssays tampered it'll work. And I'm on att and it says tampered bbut this won't work for ATT HOX.

Just a precaution

Sent from my HTC Vivid 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: PeterGuru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moderator Edit 12/8/12
    Do not use this this method twrp is officially supported for the one x. Download goo manager from the market or check the dev section.

It is not my intention to step on the toes of other people who have been more than helpful when it comes to questions relating to the installation of this or that.

Although I am reasonably familiar with many of the installation procedures when it comes to ROMs and Kernels, including Clockworkmod Recovery, etc., I am still a bit hesitant because I simply want to make sure that I am not making a mistake. After all, we spend lots of money on our phones, and the slightest error can be permanent.

I respect and admire all the developers who work tirelessly to make our lives a little bit better, and who often fulfill our ongoing need to “fiddle” with our phones. Thank you!

That being said, here is a detailed explanation of how to install Clockworkmod Recovery.

First, your bootloader must be unlocked. It doesn’t matter if you have the “TAMPERED” entry; this procedure will still work. Second, you must also have all necessary mobile phone drivers installed, including ADB, ADB drivers, and fastboot. From this point forward, I will call all these files your “Fastboot” files. If you don’t have these files, you can download them by clicking on the link at the end of this post.

At this point I’m assuming you’ve placed your Fastboot files in a separate folder within the root directory of your PC (the “C” drive?). I put these files in a folder called fastboot, but it really doesn’t matter, as long as you remember the location.

Here’s an image from my Windows Explorer screen to give you an idea of what I did:

FBD.png

So, here we go …

Download the Clockworkmod Recovery image file and change the name to CWM.img. This is an easy name to remember, which will help further along in these instructions.

Place your newly-named CWM.img file in the directory where your Fastboot files are located.

Power down your device.

While holding VOLUME DOWN, press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds. Continue to hold VOLUME DOWN until your bootloader screen appears.

Somewhere in the middle of your bootloader screen will be seven entries entitled FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, CLEAR STORAGE, SIMLOCK, IMAGE CRC, and POWER DOWN.

Using your VOLUME keys, make sure FASTBOOT is highlighted, and then press the POWER button once.

You should now be in the FASTBOOT Bootloader screen. On my ONE X, and I’m assuming the same for everyone, the word FASTBOOT will be highlighted with a RED background. Either way, it should be highlighted.

Connect device to your PC via USB cable.

If all is going well, the word FASTBOOT should now say FASTBOOT USB. From this point forward, do not touch the device.

Open a Command Prompt window on your PC (Press the Start button, and in the search field type cmd, and then press Enter). Here’s an example of how your Command Prompt window may look:

CPW1.png

You must now change the directory to where your Fastboot files are located. As I mentioned above, mine are in the directory c:\fastboot. Therefore, I would need to type the following command in the Command Prompt window: cd c:\fastboot

The “cd” refers to “change directory,” while the rest is where your Fastboot files are located. Here’s how your Command Prompt window will look like after you’ve typed the above, and BEFORE you press the Enter key.

CPW2.png

Here’s an example of how your Command Prompt window will appear AFTER you press the Enter key:

CPW3.png

Next you need to type the following: fastboot flash recovery CWM.img

Renaming the file to CWM.img simplifies the above entry because this name is easy to remember.

Here’s how your Command Prompt window will appear BEFORE you press the Enter key:

CPW4.png

Now press the Enter key and let the program run.

The entire installation/flash will take only a few seconds. When complete, your Command Prompt window will return to your fastboot directory (see image below).

CPW5.png

Ignore the error in my image above, the line called error: cannot load ‘CWM.img’

This error message appeared ONLY because I didn’t want to install Clockworkmod Recovery on my device a second time. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?

Reboot your device.

DONE! You now have Clockworkmod Recovery on your phone.

These instructions are available in PDF format by clicking on the link at the end of this post.

Peter

Here's the link to the Clockworkmod Recovery file:

Clockworkmod Recovery Image
    Detailed Instructions
    Fastboot Files
    Thanks for the excellent guide, Peter!

We were all hardcore newbies at one point and while it's annoying to see them ask redundant questions or ones that have been answered in the first post of a thread, you have to have some sympathy for them. Especially when they do something like get a soft-bricked device and begin to panic.
    D
    Deleted member 3452239
    That is really helpful for me to how to install the clockwork mod through fastboot option otherwise i might loose my phone forever.
    Thanks for that info putting on XDA so anybody can read it and use it.
    thanks a lot due this my phone came to back to life.

You should really use TWRP instead
    Check the link in my signature

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda-developers app
    Why is this thread being bumped? CWM can potentially do nasty things to our phones since it's not officially supported. Don't be crying when you have a nice looking paperweight.

Use TWRP only.
    This is a great [TIP]. Ufortunately, we need to keep the Development sub-forum dedicated to true development, such as ROMS, Kernels, etc. Guide, [TIP], and walkthrough threads belong in general sub-forum only.

Thank You.

Thread Moved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Sent from my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premium.