Best Insurance for EVO 4G LTE?

12th May 2012, 04:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 628

2,041 posts
More
I pre-ordered my EVO through BB. I'm contemplating where to get my insurance now though. Can I go through Sprint still? Should I get the BB insurance? SquareTrade? Other?

What are some pros/cons from experience? I figured this would help a lot of people out. Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA
12th May 2012, 04:56 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 341

476 posts
Donate to Me
More
i would check with BB, but you can get it through sprint. just call them and ask for it, should be good to go
12th May 2012, 05:01 AM   |  #3  
Gaithersburg, MD
Thanks Meter: 129

315 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan

I pre-ordered my EVO through BB. I'm contemplating where to get my insurance now though. Can I go through Sprint still? Should I get the BB insurance? SquareTrade? Other?

What are some pros/cons from experience? I figured this would help a lot of people out. Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

My 2cent experience.

BB is a great insurance from a cost perspective. No deductible if your phone needs replacement. The only down side with BB insurance is if there is an issue, they need to send it in.

My BB Story:
I sent in my OG Evo because it had a bad charging port (common problem). It took them a month and a half to get it back to me. Meanwhile they gave me a beat up LG Optimus as a lender phone. It was decent, but it felt like a life time without MY phone. They fixed the charging port on my Evo and sent it back, but when I got it back, I noticed that they blew out the one capacitative button (above the charging port). I couldn't send it out and wait AGAIN. So I used LED hack to keep those lights off, because it looked like it was missing a front tooth.

Also, if you lose or your phone is stolen, your SOL. I dropped my Evo into the dark endless bottom of a lake (SOL).

You can go onto the Sprint Insurance after you buy your phone elsewhere, like BB. Nice things about Sprint is that they replace lost or stolen phones. If you need a replacement they get you one immediately. Downsides: Replacement phone might be refurbished and you have to pay a high deductible.

It's really whatever floats your boat. Sorry for the long post.
12th May 2012, 05:22 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,312

1,300 posts
Donate to Me
More
just to add to sprint's TEP you should be able to add TEP through sprint within 30 days
12th May 2012, 08:45 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 20

87 posts
Also I believe now Sprint is uping their TEP cost to 11$ per month. For phones that cost 500$+ w/o contract. It is Asurion that provides the insurance, and from what I read the LTE will have a 150$ deductible.

So essentially you will end up paying $264 for 2 years + 150 deductible = $414.

And I currently have insurance on my OG Evo. I am seriously considering just dropping the insurance. If I break my LTE, just keep my old Evo as back up or buy something on craigslist. And after a year you can get the 75$ credit towards an upgrade.

I am leaning towards just saving my money on the insurance.
12th May 2012, 08:09 PM   |  #6  
San Antonio, Tx
Thanks Meter: 42

189 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purock

My 2cent experience.

BB is a great insurance from a cost perspective. No deductible if your phone needs replacement. The only down side with BB insurance is if there is an issue, they need to send it in.

My BB Story:
I sent in my OG Evo because it had a bad charging port (common problem). It took them a month and a half to get it back to me. Meanwhile they gave me a beat up LG Optimus as a lender phone. It was decent, but it felt like a life time without MY phone. They fixed the charging port on my Evo and sent it back, but when I got it back, I noticed that they blew out the one capacitative button (above the charging port). I couldn't send it out and wait AGAIN. So I used LED hack to keep those lights off, because it looked like it was missing a front tooth.

Also, if you lose or your phone is stolen, your SOL. I dropped my Evo into the dark endless bottom of a lake (SOL).

You can go onto the Sprint Insurance after you buy your phone elsewhere, like BB. Nice things about Sprint is that they replace lost or stolen phones. If you need a replacement they get you one immediately. Downsides: Replacement phone might be refurbished and you have to pay a high deductible.

It's really whatever floats your boat. Sorry for the long post.

Ya i hear these all the time because thats what the old insurance plan used to be.

Let me tell you about the changes they did for the Black Tie Protection plan from best buy.

2 Options:

1) Rapid Exchange program where it takes 2-5 business days for you to get another phone. Yes it will be a refurb phone and most of the phones I send out they usually come in 2 days.

2) repair program where you can send out your phone to be repaired and u will get the same unit. Takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get your phone back. Now this good thing about this option is that if your phone is not cost effective to repair then they will they give u full retail value to either get the same phone or u might be able to get yourself a new phone. Ive had times where ppl had the epic 4g and they were tired of it, sent it out and 3 weeks later they got themselves an epic 4g touch for $50 since the price difference from retail cost was 649.99 to 699.99. Now this may not always happen but it can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sephirothvfc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 102

785 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTEvo

Also I believe now Sprint is uping their TEP cost to 11$ per month. For phones that cost 500$+ w/o contract. It is Asurion that provides the insurance, and from what I read the LTE will have a 150$ deductible.

So essentially you will end up paying $264 for 2 years + 150 deductible = $414.

And I currently have insurance on my OG Evo. I am seriously considering just dropping the insurance. If I break my LTE, just keep my old Evo as back up or buy something on craigslist. And after a year you can get the 75$ credit towards an upgrade.

I am leaning towards just saving my money on the insurance.

This is pretty much my thoughts on insurance as well.
It's not really worth it. I'm keepmy my OG Evo as well for backup in case anything happens with my EVO LTE.
13th May 2012, 03:15 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 34

146 posts
The Sprint warranty is essentially you making a $464($200 deductible + $11*24months) bet that you'll break your $550 phone over the next 2 years for a reason outside of the 12 month manufacture warranty coverage. Add in the variable of the price of the phone dropping after year 1, and it's a losing bet.

With squaretrade(who I currently use for my old EVO), it's a $225 bet of breaking your $550 phone over 2 years.

Bestbuy insurance just sucks from what I've read.

If your phone ever breaks, don't think of it as you're having to shell out $550.
Think of it as you've already saved $464 of the cost. You're only paying $85 extra for you losing your bet.

In other words, to make it more clear, it cost you $90 more to break your phone w/o insurance than with.
Are you really going to drop down $264($11/month) to maybe save $85 one day?
Last edited by .jond; 13th May 2012 at 03:21 PM.
13th May 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #9  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 48

814 posts
More
Theres this insurance company:

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/android-landing1

I dont have any experience through them so i dunno, seems the reviews are good though but its a bit pricey @ $70 a year or $125 for 2 .

"Coverage up to $750. Coverage only available
for phones bought in the past 30 days."
13th May 2012, 04:37 PM   |  #10  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 367

3,713 posts
Donate to Me
More
Where did that 11$ came in? Are they changing it soon I paid 8$ at month and deductible is 100$ btw I do keep my insure for almost a year and then drop it ain't worth it for 24 months

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread