Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,472 Members 50,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Evo 3D keeps restarting unexpectedly

Tip us?
 
jlopez512
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin
Unhappy [Q] Evo 3D keeps restarting unexpectedly

The problem:
-My evo 3d keeps restarting at random times and when it restarts it sometimes dies during the booting up process, and i have to put in a new battery because when it boots up with the old battery it just says its at 10% or less.

this has happened a lot. PLEASE HELP

The specs:

Hboot 1.4
rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1620318 (Newts one)


please help. this is really irritating me.
 
thefsfempire
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 498
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
I had the very same problem (on RC3). I later remembered that I just upgraded the radio to the latest version. Downgrading back to the radio in the 1.13 RUU (v0530) resolved the issue. My battery life dropped tremendously on the new radio as well.

On a side note, have you tried other ROMs since then? If it's happening in all ROMs it could be an issue there as well.
Shawn


Moto X (16GB; Black)
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (Do we have a choice?)

Nexus 7 (16GB; 2nd Gen)
ROM: Stock
 
jlopez512
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsfempire View Post
I had the very same problem (on RC3). I later remembered that I just upgraded the radio to the latest version. Downgrading back to the radio in the 1.13 RUU (v0530) resolved the issue. My battery life dropped tremendously on the new radio as well.

On a side note, have you tried other ROMs since then? If it's happening in all ROMs it could be an issue there as well.

it has also done it on Meanrom 4.3,

where do i find the radio you placed that fixed the issue?
 
thefsfempire
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 498
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopez512 View Post
it has also done it on Meanrom 4.3,

where do i find the radio you placed that fixed the issue?
Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1193101

Under downloads you'll see this: From the 1.13.651.7 OTA/RUU. Click the CDMA link (for 0.97.10.0530). Place this file on the root of your SD card (must be PG86IMG.zip - case sensitive!) and power on phone into bootloader mode (vol down + power). It'll verify and ask you to flash.

Be very careful doing this because you can potentially brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing. There are more detailed instructions at the thread at the beginning of this post. Post back here if you have any issues so I can help you out!

Good luck!

EDIT: If you have access to a computer, follow the "How To Flash" instructions at the link so you can verify the MD5 to make sure the download isn't corrupted.
Shawn


Moto X (16GB; Black)
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (Do we have a choice?)

Nexus 7 (16GB; 2nd Gen)
ROM: Stock
 
jlopez512
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsfempire View Post
Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1193101

Under downloads you'll see this: From the 1.13.651.7 OTA/RUU. Click the CDMA link (for 0.97.10.0530). Place this file on the root of your SD card (must be PG86IMG.zip - case sensitive!) and power on phone into bootloader mode (vol down + power). It'll verify and ask you to flash.

Be very careful doing this because you can potentially brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing. There are more detailed instructions at the thread at the beginning of this post. Post back here if you have any issues so I can help you out!

Good luck!

EDIT: If you have access to a computer, follow the "How To Flash" instructions at the link so you can verify the MD5 to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

i have the current radio 0.97.00.0518, flashing this will be safe, right?

also, will it erase my phone data?
 
thefsfempire
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 498
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
The radio version you have is from RUU 1.11 which is one of the oldest ones for this device. I'm curious to know how it's still there unless you've never done an OTA/Hboot downgrade.

It will not erase your handset, only updates the radio software which is a completely separate part of your phone. Just follow the instructions and read through them a few times. I've upgraded/downgraded my radio several times following those instructions.
Shawn


Moto X (16GB; Black)
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (Do we have a choice?)

Nexus 7 (16GB; 2nd Gen)
ROM: Stock
 
jlopez512
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsfempire View Post
The radio version you have is from RUU 1.11 which is one of the oldest ones for this device. I'm curious to know how it's still there unless you've never done an OTA/Hboot downgrade.

It will not erase your handset, only updates the radio software which is a completely separate part of your phone. Just follow the instructions and read through them a few times. I've upgraded/downgraded my radio several times following those instructions.
my phone was hboot 1.3 when i got it so i used Revolutionary.io method lol

i hope this works, thank you so much!!
 
thefsfempire
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 498
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopez512 View Post
my phone was hboot 1.3 when i got it so i used Revolutionary.io method lol

i hope this works, thank you so much!!
Good luck to you! Like I said, if you have an issue let me know! *Thread subscribed
Shawn


Moto X (16GB; Black)
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (Do we have a choice?)

Nexus 7 (16GB; 2nd Gen)
ROM: Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to thefsfempire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jlopez512
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 53
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsfempire View Post
Good luck to you! Like I said, if you have an issue let me know! *Thread subscribed
my phone just restarted :/
 
thefsfempire
Old
(Last edited by thefsfempire; 13th May 2012 at 01:47 AM.)
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 498
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopez512 View Post
my phone just restarted :/
If it restarted after the radio update: flash the 2.17 RUU then downgrade hboot to 1.4 -OR- flash the 2.17 zip and remove the hboot file.

If it restarted during the radio update: (this is bad). The problem could be with a faulty battery. But that is the least of your problems now.

I'll get the link the 2.17 downloads for you. just a sec..

EDIT#1: Here is a link to the PG86IMG.zip for 2.17 containing the latest software and firmware. Delete the HBOOT file from the zip using WinRAR, 7Zip, etc. and rename zip file to PG86IMG.zip, move to root of SD and flash.
http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/PG86...304_signed.zip

EDIT#2: Here is the link to the actual RUU (run in Windows then do HBOOT downgrade): http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/RUU_...304_signed.exe

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Just found this while helping someone else. Freeza posted an all-in-one firmware update package for those on Hboot 1.4. This updates you to all the firmware from the 2.17 package without losing root or S-OFF. This does NOT flash a ROM, just updates the firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=131
Shawn


Moto X (16GB; Black)
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (Do we have a choice?)

Nexus 7 (16GB; 2nd Gen)
ROM: Stock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes