Show your Support, Don't Whine

Search This thread

toxicthunder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
The latest Android upgrade has seen a sudden burst of emotion from every corner. From blessings to curses, everyone has been eager to slap on their comments with much vigor, and all the more brutality.

New users wanting to flaunt their know-how, ancient developers suddenly coming out of hibernation to groan at the state of affairs, and worst of all, people squabbling and hurling accusations at our till-a-week-ago awesome developers for anything and everything wrong under the sun (and perhaps beyond it as well)

Instead of cribbing, groaning and showering multitudes of discouraging statements across entire threads, why not do something fruitful?

Why not use that BIG SEARCH BAR before your fingers start flying over the keyboard?

Why not read each and every guide so painstakingly compiled by the developers, thoroughly?

Why not for once actually follow each and every step rather than show just how omniscient we can be?

Developers here devote so much of their time (4 of them even bricked their phones) just to bring us the best there is, the best there can be. And all we do is quickly lap it up, sing praises, write eulogies, but when things go awry, point our fingers at them?

I think this calls for some retrospection. I am no established developer, nor do I claim to be one. Testing releases, providing genuine feedback and helping in my own little way is the most I can do. And even that somehow gets frustrating when you're faced with the same questions again and again.

Think of what the devs have to face when they're 'judged' by us, when they are bombarded with personal messages asking stupid questions, and on the whole not allowed to do what they want to do.

I might be going overboard, but I feel the message has to reach out to every corner. Help each other, show your support; you wouldn't be biting into your sandwiches if they hadn't splashed the ice-cream on for you.

If something's wrong, cry yourself a river.

But then don't forget to build a bridge and get over it.

------------------------------------------------

When we talk of responsibility towards other users, it implies that we do not DELIBERATELY try to cause any form of damage to the user or to his device. And I am sure that is the last thing on anyone's mind (or so I hope).

And if we still want to enter into the legal technicalities of the issue, I can very well claim without hesitation that whenever any person willingly signs up for forums of these kind, willingly and consciously attempts to execute any process listed herein - he automatically loses immunity to any loss he may incur as a result of his actions, and thereby forfeits any semblance of legal refuge that he might have.

Despite this, developers post repeated warnings in their guides and that is the best that they can do. Users must understand that what they undertake is at their own risk. No point arguing on the fact that Super User X or Noob User Y bricked his phone because of something that Uber Cool Dev Z posted in any of the threads.

We don't know what we want.
Yet we are willing to fight to the death to get it?

Peace and Respect. Everybody.

Last edited:

musashiro

Jul 1, 2011
Tarlac
the best description to this is that its like a Roulette, you wont now when you are hitting the jackpot (sorry im not good with sarcasm.. haha)

i do believe at first that the problem does not exist due to small incidents of brick and most came from LEAK... but once i started reading people who got bricked for wiping on stock recovery, people getting unrecoverable /data and /system partitions, i decided to give up the "amazing" ICS until all problems are ironed out... i flashed GB using pc odin and gave up on chrome beta and nova launcher...

OPTION 1 (the dangerous path) : short usage of ICS (not knowing when and how it will end, but i think at this point you know how notes die..lol) and have longer suffering of having a bricked note (as for me im just a student and it is a gift)...

OPTION 2 (playing the WAITING GAME) : having GB for a while or a few weeks as i deduct and wait for a better ICS in the future...

if you ask me, I'm Playing the WAITING GAME....:)

Last edited:

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
I think this message needs to get to everyone... but I don't think its Sticky Worthy.

I mean this is just Common Sense, and I wished that people who risk tinkering with their device to have more of it than those who don't.

Sometimes I see people being ignorant and ignoring posts/instructions and resulting in a brick and sitting behind this screen I think "man you kind of deserved that one" though I don't necessarily condone that response. I try to PM them, or help them... but I see how it can start to get "too much".

I think people need to understand this: Developers are doing this FOR FREE, and they are doing it in THEIR SPARE TIME. If they don't use netiquette and xda-rules, they should try to solve their problems themselves by learning the skills and making builds in THEIR TIME. Or they should pay someone hundreds, nay thousands of dollars to work several weeks by taking some time off from their usual work to develop.

I can see the problem. Its common sense, its just not common.
Damn that was a long rant, I'll shut up now.

toxicthunder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
Totally agree.

As for the sticky request, it was made when sentiments were running high and devices getting bricked. Guess it caught the mood of the times...

But doesn't imply it still isn't relevant. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
I think the biggest whiners are the handful of regulars who think they own the forum and constantly bash others, both new and old, whenever they ask even the simplest and most innocuous jelly bean questions. Even with the stickies, any forum in xda is always a mess of info, both good and bad, poorly written, and conflicting. Not to mention this stuff changes at a drop of a hat, and is frequently wrong. As long as xda allows noobs to easily sign up and post, because this is a public forum after all, there will always be an endless stream of noob questions, especially about jelly bean. Asking about something, especially WHY isn't it out yet, does not constitute whining. It's actually on-topic. Littering every other post complaining about the noobs however, IS WHINING. If you are so annoyed, go create a private forum of your own. Maybe go lobby xda to ban everyone that asks a dumb question, which is pretty much 99% of the users here. Or you could just get off your soapbox, learn to skim past posts you are not interested in, and STOP WHINING.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The latest Android upgrade has seen a sudden burst of emotion from every corner. From blessings to curses, everyone has been eager to slap on their comments with much vigor, and all the more brutality.

New users wanting to flaunt their know-how, ancient developers suddenly coming out of hibernation to groan at the state of affairs, and worst of all, people squabbling and hurling accusations at our till-a-week-ago awesome developers for anything and everything wrong under the sun (and perhaps beyond it as well)

Instead of cribbing, groaning and showering multitudes of discouraging statements across entire threads, why not do something fruitful?

Why not use that BIG SEARCH BAR before your fingers start flying over the keyboard?

Why not read each and every guide so painstakingly compiled by the developers, thoroughly?

Why not for once actually follow each and every step rather than show just how omniscient we can be?

Developers here devote so much of their time (4 of them even bricked their phones) just to bring us the best there is, the best there can be. And all we do is quickly lap it up, sing praises, write eulogies, but when things go awry, point our fingers at them?

I think this calls for some retrospection. I am no established developer, nor do I claim to be one. Testing releases, providing genuine feedback and helping in my own little way is the most I can do. And even that somehow gets frustrating when you're faced with the same questions again and again.

Think of what the devs have to face when they're 'judged' by us, when they are bombarded with personal messages asking stupid questions, and on the whole not allowed to do what they want to do.

I might be going overboard, but I feel the message has to reach out to every corner. Help each other, show your support; you wouldn't be biting into your sandwiches if they hadn't splashed the ice-cream on for you.

If something's wrong, cry yourself a river.

But then don't forget to build a bridge and get over it.

------------------------------------------------

When we talk of responsibility towards other users, it implies that we do not DELIBERATELY try to cause any form of damage to the user or to his device. And I am sure that is the last thing on anyone's mind (or so I hope).

And if we still want to enter into the legal technicalities of the issue, I can very well claim without hesitation that whenever any person willingly signs up for forums of these kind, willingly and consciously attempts to execute any process listed herein - he automatically loses immunity to any loss he may incur as a result of his actions, and thereby forfeits any semblance of legal refuge that he might have.

Despite this, developers post repeated warnings in their guides and that is the best that they can do. Users must understand that what they undertake is at their own risk. No point arguing on the fact that Super User X or Noob User Y bricked his phone because of something that Uber Cool Dev Z posted in any of the threads.

We don't know what we want.
    Yet we are willing to fight to the death to get it?

Peace and Respect. Everybody.
    epic :D

make this a sticky!