[APP][May 25th] CoreControl v1.4.2 [BETA] - Battery Profiles! - Root Only

Search This thread

Flyarnk

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Why do I see "permission granted for interactive call " periodically after installation of this app? And is gone after I uninstalled this app.

lil fishy :)

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Stegy

Mar 5, 2008
Around the world
Works great on LeeDroid 6.2, just seems to miss some features, like using 1 core when on standby, and when using games or bigger demanding apps it swithes to all 4 cores.
My phone now heats up much less than before on charging, current temp is 35°C.

Flyarnk

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Works great on LeeDroid 6.2, just seems to miss some features, like using 1 core when on standby, and when using games or bigger demanding apps it swithes to all 4 cores.

Using leerom too and during charge temp is 23C.... And this is without this app

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Why do I see "permission granted for interactive call " periodically after installation of this app? And is gone after I uninstalled this app.

Sry nut your concerns are not necessary :)
That's just the super user output that it got supersu rights.

This appears even if you give widget locker super user rights..

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Using leerom too and during charge temp is 23C.... And this is without this app

Depends on your previous usage and your usage while charging.
Although battery would have to cool down to at least under 30 C when charging and deep sleep

Flyarnk

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Sry nut your concerns are not necessary :)
That's just the super user output that it got supersu rights.

This appears even if you give widget locker super user rights..

Yes it does but once. Not repeatedly when you are using phone. Hope you read English nut

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Yes it does but once. Not repeatedly when you are using phone. Hope you read English nut

Afaik the app uses a Methode which places a prepared file /change into system to control the cores.
Probably the app checks on every startup which file /core setting is used.

Anyway I have really no concerns about this.

It appears for me when I am starting the app but nowhere else.

D

Deleted member 2496007

I think the 5th companion core already does the job of low power use on standby.

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com

I think that's just CoreControl issuing Root Commands (which it does a lot!).
It's nothing to be worried about :)

Here's an example of what it's doing when those messages come up, if anyone's interested:

Here's the Root Command method (Imaginatively named, I know :p)
Code:
public void DoThings(String path) {
		try {
			Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("su");
			DataOutputStream os = new  DataOutputStream(process.getOutputStream());
			{
				os.writeBytes(path);
				os.flush();
				os.writeBytes("exit \n");
				os.flush();
				process.waitFor();
			}
		} catch (IOException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		} catch (InterruptedException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		} 
	}

And then I set the cores like this

Code:
DoThings("echo '2' > /sys/kernel/debug/tegra_hotplug/max_cpus\n");

Nothing fishy going on ;)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Flint, MI
Possibly Stupid Question

Ok, So I realize that there is a big difference with the SoC from the "HTC One X" to the Sprint version the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" the One X is quad core tegra and the EVO LTE is a dual core S4.

Ok so now that being said, could this app be used on the EVOLTE to turn a dual core to a single core for power saving?

Reactions: tyfoxx

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
This is working too on the Asus Transformer Prime (Tegra 3).

I just have one question regarding how this works. As far as I know, the Tegra 3 Chip should automatically turn off cores when not in use.

If I select 4 Cores on the app, will this lock the device on using 4 Cores always, or will it follow the normal Rules and only turn the other ones when needed?

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
i have a stupid question as well. is it not the kernel which determines which cores are off and on? i mean on the s2 the only way to do it is by installing an app that Tegrak made with his kernel. Then other kernel devs like Gokhanmoral and Simone implemented the feature in their kernels and was able to use that app to switch from single core to hotplug and two cores at all times...So my question how is this enabled if the kernel devs have not included this into their kernels yet or is this a special thing with the Tegra chip? Sorry if this sounds stupid but for me is kinda interesting to know..

many thanks for your time

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
This is working too on the Asus Transformer Prime (Tegra 3).

I just have one question regarding how this works. As far as I know, the Tegra 3 Chip should automatically turn off cores when not in use.

If I select 4 Cores on the app, will this lock the device on using 4 Cores always, or will it follow the normal Rules and only turn the other ones when needed?

Other way round if you lock it to max 2 cores than never more than 2 cores running.
When you lock 4 then it will use up to 4 cores when a heavy game is running.

All in all is that you only set the Max core number but don't change the scale behavior of tegra 3.

Bigmille

May 23, 2008
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Great app, would be even better if we can also set maximum CPU speed for the One X. I've tried some apps from Play Store but none of them works reliably.

Also anyone know where the file controlling CPU frequencies is stored?

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
Ok, So I realize that there is a big difference with the SoC from the "HTC One X" to the Sprint version the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" the One X is quad core tegra and the EVO LTE is a dual core S4.

Ok so now that being said, could this app be used on the EVOLTE to turn a dual core to a single core for power saving?

I doubt it, I'm pretty sure this mod only applies to the HTC One X (possibly other Tegra3 devices too). There may be a different way to do it though.

i have a stupid question as well. is it not the kernel which determines which cores are off and on? i mean on the s2 the only way to do it is by installing an app that Tegrak made with his kernel. Then other kernel devs like Gokhanmoral and Simone implemented the feature in their kernels and was able to use that app to switch from single core to hotplug and two cores at all times...So my question how is this enabled if the kernel devs have not included this into their kernels yet or is this a special thing with the Tegra chip? Sorry if this sounds stupid but for me is kinda interesting to know..

many thanks for your time

We can do it because, for some reason, the file "/sys/kernel/debug/tegra_hotplug/max_cpus" which controls how many Cores you have active isn't touched by the Android system except for when the phone boots up. So, as long as you have root, you can edit this file regardless of the kernel :)

Reactions: darthfruitloop

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
I doubt it, I'm pretty sure this mod only applies to the HTC One X (possibly other Tegra3 devices too). There may be a different way to do it though.

We can do it because, for some reason, the file "/sys/kernel/debug/tegra_hotplug/max_cpus" which controls how many Cores you have active isn't touched by the Android system except for when the phone boots up. So, as long as you have root, you can edit this file regardless of the kernel :)

ahh nicely done thanks mate.:) great job you have done and using the app now:cool: can we also use system tuner to check which cores are off and on then

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CoreControl

Only for users with ROOT ACCESS

Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_40.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_07_50.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_08.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_15_59_50.png

(Screenshots show the battery profiles changing the core count)

This application will allow you to control how many cores are active on your phone!
    Is your One X getting a little hot or is the battery running out a little too quick? This application attempts to solve these problems by allowing you to disable some of the processor's cores!

Battery Profiles Info (Please Read!)
    [Battery Profiles will override whatever number is selected by the buttons at the top!]
    First of all, this is nothing more than a proof of concept update. I realise that having a set number of profiles isn't the best idea and people will want to be able to change the cores on heat as well as battery level. There is also screen-off and charging profiles that need to be done. The layout is definitely not final either and will be changed in the next updates. I will try my best to incorporate these functions as well as others that have been requested.
    Second, the 3 battery level values you can edit (in the Battery Profiles section) MUST go in descending order (e.g. 100, 80, 50, etc). The app will check for this.
    The Battery profiles should take effect instantly.
    Please expect bugs. This update is very much a proof of concept and whilst the battery profiles function correctly in my testing, bugs may very well arise.

Known Bugs
    Very occasionally it will revert to the default of 4 cores when using the battery profiles. I've only ever seen this happen once and I have no idea what caused it.
    Voltage is not currently colour-coded (I don't know the min/max levels)
    Temperature is not fully colour-coded. Anything below 40C will be Green and anything above will be Red. More colours will be added when I know the Max battery temperature and I can work out good colour ranges.

Original thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630200

I highly recommend you install TegraStats - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1615666 (or search 'Tegrastats Free' on the market) - to monitor how many are active.

If the file doesn't exist for you, try this fix!

Originally Posted by mike1986.
    ok, my fault this time, sorry!

Open root explorer, go to system/etc/ and open init.post_boot.sh

navigate to line 115 and remove:

umount /sys/kernel/debug

save and reboot!

Changelog
    Code:
    v1.4.2
    Hopefully fixed the pointless and repeated request for SU access

v1.4.1 [BETA]
    Only ever asks for Root Access when changing cores
    Added CPU temperature and frequency (Many thanks to Treebill!)
     - WARNING: The frequency jumps around a lot. I don't know if the file is buggy or this is actually happening
     - CPU temp and frequency only ever update when CoreControl is open. This will obviously be changed when CPU temperature profiles are introduced
     - CPU temp is fully colour-coded
    Battery Temperature is now fully colour-coded (Many thanks to Treebill!)
    General code clean up and optimisation

v1.4 [BETA]
    Added Battery Profiles
     - See "Battery Profiles Info" above
    Should get and display Battery Information quicker

[B]v1.3[/B]
    UI Changes
    Added a 'Battery Information' Sliding Drawer with the following information:
      - Battery Health
      - Power Type [USB/AC/Battery]
      - Battery Charge [With Battery state, Charging, Full, etc.]
      - Battery Temperature
      - Battery Voltage
    It's all colour-coded too!
    Battery Profiles are pretty much fully coded, they're not included in this release though. Should be done by next update.

[B]v1.2[/B]
    Removed pointless code
    Quite a few UI changes
    Active Cores can now be set on boot (last one selected will be used).

[B]v1.1[/B]
    Removed pointless "1 Core" option
    Disabling/Enabling cores should be quicker (slightly)

[B]V1.0[/B]
    Initial Release

Enjoy! :)

All credits go to MrPhilo and K0rner!
    UPDATE
    No Battery Profiles yet, sorry guys, but the profiles are pretty much completely coded in, I'm just far too tired to finish it tonight! Here's something you guys might like though :)

Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_23.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_30.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_41.png

v1.3
    UI Changes
    Added a 'Battery Information' Sliding Drawer with the following information:
    - Battery Health
    - Power Type [USB/AC/Battery]
    - Battery Charge [With Battery state; Charging, Full, etc.]
    - Battery Temperature
    - Battery Voltage
    It's all colour-coded too!
    Battery Profiles are pretty much fully coded, they're not included in this release though. Should be done by next update.

Download in the OP.

Enjoy :)
    Thanks for the awesome app. Funny thing is that it also works for the Asus Transformer Pad TF300t. Just thought you might wanna know. Maybe even add a option for the Tf300t to use only one core?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Yeah it will do, it should work on any rooted device running a Tegra 3.
    Unfortunately, using only one core is not an option as the phone simply doesn't allow it. If you set the file to 1 (you can try it out yourself if you want) it still uses the second core whenever it needs to. There's no difference than just running it in dual-core mode :)

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while everyone, I have far too many projects on the go and far too much laziness to get them done quickly :p
    I'll try and get it updated fairly soon!
    Great app, thanks for making this easier for others and myself :)
    I am getting pretty good battery life in standby mode since I dropped to 2 cores can I try one core please.

I doubt my app will be helping in standby mode, the phone switches to the Companion Core when the screen is off and doesn't use any of the other 4.

I have found a mod which allows you to 'throttle' the companion core, possibly resulting in even better battery off time. For more information and future results please see this thread :)
    If my tests are successful and it does indeed save us some battery life I'll code the feature into CoreControl so it throttles the cpu when the screen is off and then un-throttles when the device wakes up :)