No registration required

[ROM] [ICS] KingDroid ICS NoteMania v8.0 by Dr.Taly [AROMA] ONLINE

OP PETKING

15th May 2012, 11:26 AM   |  #101  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 10

124 posts
More
Great Rom! I flashed it yesterday. I came from GB Lightening, I flash it via CWM with Full wipe.... it took me 5 minutes to upload and several times the boot logo stopped for a while.... now its perfect. How to add call record function to dialer or change the stock Dialer?
15th May 2012, 02:10 PM   |  #102  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 11

206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertberma

Full wipe and flash this. Your on a safe kernel to wipe. Full root gb is the best base to start.

It is my understanding doing this would make me loosing full root. It should be better move to stock ICS first.
Am I wrong ?

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Moreover from the first post I read this:

-Method 1:
Starting from a base-ics either custom or official (NO NOT TESTED CM9) and (GINGER FROM THE ROM BUT NOT OPERATE WELL RECOVERY AND CWM)

Forgive my bad English: what does it mean "GINGER FROM THE ROM BUT NOT OPERATE WELL RECOVERY AND CWM" ?

Can I flash with CWM ? Or should I move to base-ics first, in order not to loose full root ?

Thanks
Last edited by pacut; 15th May 2012 at 02:02 PM.
15th May 2012, 02:11 PM   |  #103  
Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 522

2,821 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdutch

Guys, read the OP

to prevent root issues coming from rooted GB, first flash stock LPY and CF kernel with Mobile Odin Pro. reboot and complete setup. reboot into recovery do a factory reset and then flash the Kingdroid rom.

This procedure will work on the other roms too.

Everything should be fine now

that is the most riskiest method ever! have you guys not been reading?? do not do a full wipe from a LPY Kernel!
15th May 2012, 02:16 PM   |  #104  
Flag Peterborough
Thanks Meter: 852

576 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacut

It is my understanding doing this would make me loosing full root. It should be better move to stock ICS first.
Am I wrong ?

Other people may disagree here but in my experience, when moving from any GB rom to any ICS rom I have lost full root if flashing from fully rooted GB to ICS. I think this is why the OP was changed to say flash from stock ICS with full root and not GB with full root.

The difference between root and full root can be seen using Root Explorer.
You may have root, but if you can't mount /system as R/W and copy a file to it or delete a file from it, then you don't have full root.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeaver

that is the most riskiest method ever! have you guys not been reading?? do not do a full wipe from a LPY Kernel!

Agreed. Do the full wipe FIRST while still on GB using GB kernel.
Do this before flashing anything ICS.
Once you've flashed an ICS rom / kernel - DO NOT DO A FULL WIPE IN CWM!

As long as you follow the above - you should not brick your device.

I always follow this and have never had problems:

Flash Stock pre-rooted GB rom using odin PC.
Reboot into stock recovery and do full wipe - data & cache (this prevents bootloop issues)
Boot into GB
Install GB CF-Root Kernel for your stock GB rom i.e. if your rom is LA6 then use LA6 kernel
Reboot into CWM Recovery
Full Wipe - Data, Cache, Dalvik (this is safe if you followed steps above as you will now be on GB kernel)
Stay in recovery - do not reboot after wipe
Flash ICS rom of your choice

you shouldn't need a full wipe now because you did one safely while on GB kernel and haven't booted since.
Last edited by zX TheRipper Xz; 15th May 2012 at 02:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zX TheRipper Xz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 02:19 PM   |  #105  
Dayton, Ohio

2,821 posts
More
i can delete files in the root directory and everything appears that I have full root although I cannot update the binary on SU
15th May 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #106  
Flag Peterborough

576 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeaver

i can delete files in the root directory and everything appears that I have full root although I cannot update the binary on SU

Can you paste an apk in /system/app/
If not, you don't have full root

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
15th May 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #107  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 11

206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zX TheRipper Xz

Other people may disagree here but in my experience, when moving from any GB rom to any ICS rom I have lost full root if flashing from fully rooted GB to ICS. I think this is why the OP was changed to say flash from stock ICS with full root and not GB with full root.

I always follow this and have never had problems:

Flash Stock pre-rooted GB rom using odin PC.
Reboot into stock recovery and do full wipe - data & cache (this prevents bootloop issues)
Boot into GB
Install GB CF-Root Kernel for your stock GB rom i.e. if your rom is LA6 then use LA6 kernel
Reboot into CWM Recovery
Full Wipe - Data, Cache, Dalvik (this is safe as you are on GB kernel)
Stay in recovery - do not reboot after wipe.
Flash ICS

you shouldn't need a full wipe now because you did one safely while on GB kernel and haven't booted since.

Ok. Then, since I am on KingDroid (AbyssNote kernel) I could simply CWM, full wipe and then flash ICS (this KingDroid ICS), correct ?

Anyway...according to your initial part of reply...I'd lose rooting, correct ? Alternatively I could first flash stock LPY and CF kernel but then....I should flash this Kingdroid ICS and might brick my Note.

At the end....it looks loosing root is the best choice. Am I wrong ?
Last edited by pacut; 15th May 2012 at 02:39 PM.
15th May 2012, 02:42 PM   |  #108  
Flag Peterborough

576 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacut

Ok. Then, since I am on KingDroid (AbyssNote kernel) I could simply CWM, full wipe and then flash ICS (this KingDroid ICS), correct ?

Anyway...according to your initial part of reply...I'd lose rooting, correct ? Alternatively I could first flash stock LPY and CF kernel but then....I should flash this Kingdroid ICS and might brick my Note.

At the end....it looks loosing root is the best choice. Am I wrong ?

If you are on Gingerbread rom with GB kernel the easiest method is:
Reboot into recovery
Full wipe - data, cache, davlik
Flash this KingDroid ICS rom
DO NOT WIPE AFTER FLASHING - you shouldn't need to as you did it first

As you are o Abyss Kernel you should theoretically keep full root although you may loose it. Does it really matter as titanium backup and other root apps should still work with partial root.

The reason people brick is they try to flash without a full wipe. They want to keep all their apps & data.
They flash without wipe, get stuck in bootloop then try a wipe to fix it but as they're now on ICS kernel they brick.
Last edited by zX TheRipper Xz; 15th May 2012 at 02:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zX TheRipper Xz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 03:13 PM   |  #109  
Dayton, Ohio

2,821 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zX TheRipper Xz

Can you paste an apk in /system/app/
If not, you don't have full root

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

actually I can... but just cant update the binary for SU... kind of weird

Edit:
Ok I did things a little differently.
I restored back to GB.
I used mobile Odin from GB and installed stock ICS with rooted Kernel making sure I was fully rooted after install.
rebooted to Recovery and flashed Abys Kernel with Red Pill Recovery
did a Full wipe along with cache and dalvik cache
installed this rom
and when I was fully booted I was able to install the binary for SU....
Last edited by bkeaver; 15th May 2012 at 03:22 PM.
15th May 2012, 03:42 PM   |  #110  
Flag Espinho
Thanks Meter: 849

2,167 posts
Nice bootanimation. Rom starting well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bug, wi fi
Previous Thread Next Thread