You kids like ROMs? Yeah... me too.
If you poke around these forums, you'll see that I once put together a spreadsheet comparing many ROMs for the Wildfire S, and I gotta say: overall, I was impressed with what I tested (and I'm VERY thankful for the folks who keep cooking up these ROMs) but I was never fully satisfied. Thus, WildChild was born. I hope you find it useful, speedy, and good-looking (... okay, then at least good-looking).
WildChild is dedicated to my two WildChilds: Joshua and Matteo.
- HTC Sense-based ROM, with most of the Sense removed. (Does that make Sense?
- OS = Android "Gingerbread" 2.3.5
- App2SD, BusyBox, rooted, zipaligned, and all that standard crap.
- Running the Nemus launcher (built-in task manager that actually works; built-in ability to organize your apps; lock the layout of your home screen icons; use any combination of [3|4|5] x [3|4|5] app drawer grid; and other wacky ****.)
- Some stock HTC APKs replaced with newer/more-efficient/prettier versions.
- Old Google Market (runs faster than the newer versions).
- Old SMS text messaging (your precious screen space isn't wasted by those pesky text bubbles).
- aCalendar replaces the stock HTC calendar.
- All installed APK's are at the latest version (at the time this post was published).
- Minimal ringtones (to save space on /system). You can easily add your own!
- Wake the phone (from sleep mode) by using the volume rocker switch.
- Global audio equalizer (with a built-in WildChild preset).
- Using E.Frat's latest Cake over-clocked kernel.
- Fully modular and highly configurable. Just check the Add-On's section regularly.
Features unique to WildChild:
- Beautifully and painstakingly themed in a way that pleases me (and hopefully you, too.
- Modified SMS notification icon for task bar (stock one looks a lot like Email icon... not anymore!)
- Funky volume up/down indicator sounds.
- Font tweaks (the lockscreen clock is actually READABLE now).
- 100% guaranteed non-annoying boot animation. Plus, no bootdown animation (faster shutdown).
- Unique lockscreen created by Tigger31337: a ring of (Wild)fire against the setting moon.
- Unique method of APK-level customization. This translates into a more consistent end-user experience and less setup time for you! As far as I know, no other ROM uses this method, so I'll just sit back and wait for the copycats to hit the scene.
- Crazy-sick amount of RAM (almost 300 MB FREE!!) out of the box.
- Tons of internal storage space for your apps (77 MB free on de-odex. 117 MB free on odex!!)
- Some other useless crap that I'm sure I forgot. Just try the damn thing. I bet you'll like it.
- Tested (and works!) on Wildfire S GSM. Might work on CDMA; might not. Who the hell knows.
WildChild comes in 2 flavours: FULL and LITE.
FULL contains most of the stock HTC ROM functionality without all the bloat. For example, all HTC widgets are removed, APKs have been tweaked/compressed where possible, and the Nemus launcher replaces the default "Rosie" launcher.
LITE takes it a step further by removing even more rarely-used APK's as well as most of the Google backup/synchronization services. Please don't install WC-Lite and then ask me why you can't synch your accounts or I will drive down to your house and spank you in front of your parents.
To make your choice even harder, both flavours come in an ODEX and DE-ODEX version. Major difference? ODEX buys you more internal (high-speed) storage... good for hosting your widgets and other "critical" processes.
Check the screenshot below (19-WC-Compare.jpg) to see exactly what the space savings are between all the ROMs.
WildChild comes with the following applications already built-in:
- AnEq Equalizer (with custom WildChild preset built-in)
- Barcode/QR Scanner
- Nemus Launcher
- NoFrills CPU
- PartitionsInfo Lite
- QuickPic Gallery
- Startup Auditor
- The Weather Network (not on the Lite version)
- WiFi Manager
- WiFi Tracker
(You really should know these steps by now, but for tradition's sake...)
- Prepare and partition your SDCard. (Folks seem to enjoy a FAT32 primary, a 1 GB ext4 (I use ext2), and a 512MB Linux Swap... in that order.)
- Copy the WildChild ROM .zip file to your SDCard. Cool.
- Reboot into Recovery mode.
- Wipe data/factory reset. (Do it twice, especially if on CWM)
- Wipe Dalvik cache. (twice, as above)
- Choose "Install zip from SDCard".
- (You might have to toggle Signature Verification until it is Disabled)
- "Choose zip from SDCard" and select your WildChild ROM .zip file.
- (read the splash screen and wait about 2 mins.)
- Reboot phone; wait another 2-3 mins.
- N.B. Starting with WildChild v1.5, two reboots is now normal and expected during the setup.
- When lockscreen appears with your local carrier time, you may unlock phone and start using.
- Enjoy! (...and throw a "Thanks" my way! )
For those on previous versions of WildChild, I will soon release an "upgrade pack" that will take you straight to v2.0. For those without the patience (hey, I don't blame you!), then go ahead and flash the full v2.0. The latter is probably the more stable option, anyway. As usual, ensure you backup your data first!
Might I make the following suggestions? Why, thank you:
- OS Settings: disable vibration on type, set your date/time, disable fast boot and power saver, disable "ask me about USB connection", disable all window animations, set 2 minute screen timeout (anything less is annoying), disable vibration feedback for UI.
WC v1.5 UPDATE: All of this is now done for you, thanks to my apk-level customization. You're welcome!!
- CPU: Max = 768Mhz, Min = 122Mhz. Gov = Scary. This will give you excellent balance between performance and battery life.
WC v1.5 UPDATE: This is also done for you! I now set the min. CPU at 600Mhz. However, I still leave the choice of scheduler up to you. I like sio and noop... but that's just me, what do I know?
- Link2SD: I use ext2 (for various reasons... performance, mostly), but if your fs is ext4, that's cool too. Set the default location to External. I do *NOT* recommend enabling the auto-link feature, as this will consume a good 9MB of RAM.
- Launcher Settings: (Tweak these as you see fit. Most changes here are cosmetic, but some are performance-related. Take the time go go through each setting; you'll get more out of your phone.)
- OS Settings (Reprise): WildChild sets non-Market app installation and Mock Locations to enabled by default. Fast Boot is set to disabled. Hugely convenient.
http://www.mediafire.com/?1cyj89y39g7p1av - WC FULL De-Odex
http://www.mediafire.com/?3clafvlf9nzkpua - WC FULL Odex
http://www.mediafire.com/?bo77cprljm94m7d - WC LITE De-Odex
http://www.mediafire.com/?7bsmrdxbiipt30q - WC LITE Odex
(Again, see the screenshot below, (19-WC-Compare.jpg), to see the differences between the ROM versions.)
WC2.0-Full-DeOdex.zip - 470ad88512b5ce6255554844ae2c0d43
WC2.0-Full-Odex.zip - d53ac41fdea1d8aab62c5a61831b0d9b
WC2.0-Lite-DeOdex.zip - bfe21dc46a73b46eac22c33093f6d948
WC2.0-Lite-Odex.zip - 99f0d619dea4b432b217711f207b1656
These are all flashable .zip files.
Usage: Copy 'em to your SD Card. Reboot into your recovery manager. Install the .zip (no need to wipe first).
http://www.mediafire.com/?bgu8ii70h6w5ihe - Original HTC Sense (Rosie) Launcher pack
http://www.mediafire.com/?h3ysqetyit13id6 - remove the Rosie pack (above) and return to Nemus.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8kpcy3vqq8ww72a - Google GMail App
http://www.mediafire.com/?ykumahra2l9eqsp - by popular demand, it's the WildChild Lockscreen!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?iow54v4zqiubovc - stock Sense 2.1 keyboard
http://www.mediafire.com/?k88odh361hlco - Change colour of your boot animation! (See preview pics at http://imageshack.us/g/534/snowwhiteh.png/
http://www.mediafire.com/?2gr3jdf29dv02g4 - Screenshot service (Use Power+Home to activate)
http://www.mediafire.com/?vcldvidtkvt9nl8 - Screenshot service removal
http://www.mediafire.com/?b89wbw4ahwk8sxo - Newer "bubble-style" SMS text messaging app. with WildChild theme.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g009ufrbjj6sb1i - Flashable BeRo (TINY file manager) app. Throw this baby on your SD card. If you ever install a ROM that has no file manager, this saves you from having to connect to network & Market just to view your files.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zc81wphzp2oanzz - Google Talk (GTalk)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ay3yj4103doxv4 - Arabic language support
http://www.mediafire.com/?bzk46ucobqlczq3 - TEST - Arabic language support v2
http://www.mediafire.com/?zw4mbu8sc4s38eo - Stock Sense lockscreen ring. For those folks who just can't handle the fire. :P
http://www.mediafire.com/?cb7dl4z5yqd78hq - "Disciple-X1" (E. Frat, etc.) kernel (Dated June 16th, 2012)
http://www.mediafire.com/?b94pa3sxd97d2cx - Blue themed phone dialer (for odex ROMs only). The de-odex ROMs already come with this built-in.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4pn76oaz5coqr8a - Adreno Libs by Qualcomm. Inteded mainly to speed up 3D graphics rendering, but I notice a measurable (Antutu) improvement in SD Card Reads and a slight improvement to CPU floating point operations. If you're not already running with this, you should!
http://www.mediafire.com/?yofcwg5vfw4b8y5 - HTC Settings Provider Install this only if you find certain settings don't "stick" after you change them. (e.g. LED Notification Flash)
< Check back often. More to come. . . >
Oh yeah; almost forgot...