Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can latest D4 system version be rooted?

Tip us?

OhioGuy67
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can latest D4 system version be rooted?

I currently have a D2 and am thinking about upgrading to the D4. Since the latest Android version prevents 3rd party apps from changing the GPS state (I have the Tasker app which I use to do this for certain things), I know that I will have to root the new phone (and install Secure Settings) in order to be able to control the GPS via Tasker. Will the Droid 4 Utility that I found here in the forum work on the latest D4 system version? I've read in other forums that Google removed the root exploits in the later system versions for the D2 and want to make sure that a similiar thing has not been done for the D4 before I spend the money (and time) getting a new phone and trying to root it (don't want a $200 brick).

Thanks for the help.

podspi
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I rooted using Motofail with 219 (latest OTA). That being said, we have the original software release fastboot files now, so you could always roll back to get root!
The Following User Says Thank You to podspi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OhioGuy67
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by podspi View Post
I rooted using Motofail with 219 (latest OTA). That being said, we have the original software release fastboot files now, so you could always roll back to get root!
Thanks for the reply! Are you referring to rooting the D2 or the D4 (I'm not looking to root my D2)? If you are talking about the D4, where can I find these fastboot files and instructions on applying them?

podspi
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy67 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Are you referring to rooting the D2 or the D4 (I'm not looking to root my D2)? If you are talking about the D4, where can I find these fastboot files and instructions on applying them?
Talking about the D4! I went straight from a D1 -> D4. As you can imagine, it was a huge jump...!

I'm not sure why this thread isn't stickied but...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1622256

I was so very happy when those got leaked...Honestly even if you don't need them, I'd download them. Just in case. It is hard(er) to find D1 SBF files nowadays...