FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Way to bypass at&t throttling?

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By KindaWack, Member on 14th May 2012, 03:27 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I got throttled 5 days before the end of the month. And I'm just wondering if there are any ways to bypass throttling. Speeds are the same that I would get as if I were on edge. Making pretty much everything impossible specifically having issues with Pandora.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA

14th May 2012, 04:43 PM |#2  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
As far as I know there isn't. I think throttling is is based on how much data at&t sees you using. I have seen a setting in a database file on the phone that mentions a throttling reset date but i havent tested anything to see if its related or not. So my guess is no there is no way around it because at&t is constantly monitoring your data use.

14th May 2012, 09:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
used to be a way that u can change the APN to HSPA+, and u can bypass throttling, but i have no idea if that still works w/ the new provisions in place about throttling @ 3gb now.
16th May 2012, 03:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
I've also read that switching APNs is the way around it.

16th May 2012, 05:25 PM |#5  
OP Member
Charlotte,NC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
After seeing responses I attempted the APN method but haven't had any success. It might be because I am on CM9 and not stock do you think I should try stock/gb and see if I have more success?
17th May 2012, 08:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaWack

After seeing responses I attempted the APN method but haven't had any success. It might be because I am on CM9 and not stock do you think I should try stock/gb and see if I have more success?

won't make a difference.. i guess they've patched that loophole w/ the new rules regarding unlimited plans.
25th May 2012, 03:51 PM |#7  
NY
Thanks Meter: 17

More
on the one X there is a data monitor.

if you install a different RUU (asia custom for example) obviously all the att custom is gone.

would it still be able to monitor your data so precisely? I've always used about 1.5 - 2.5 gb a month on 3g/4g

but in one day in the city where they have lte I used 5gb and I had to airplane mode and then un airplane mode to download things.

I ended up getting a phone call from att when I got to 10gb by the end of the second day.
26th May 2012, 05:51 AM |#8  
Flag thousand oaks
Thanks Meter: 17

More
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3976...unlimited-data

ATT can suck it. :)

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium
1st June 2012, 03:06 PM |#9  
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 86

More
I've tried using the APN methods as well to no avail. I'm also hearing rumors that once you upgrade and/or attempt to renew your contract, AT&T is forcing users onto one of their tiered plans.
1st June 2012, 10:21 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by P05TMAN

I've tried using the APN methods as well to no avail. I'm also hearing rumors that once you upgrade and/or attempt to renew your contract, AT&T is forcing users onto one of their tiered plans.

This is why I won't use an upgrade and renew anymore. I was able to keep my plan when upgrading in January, but I've heard that since then AT&T is telling people no way. I'll pay in full for my next phone.
5th June 2012, 12:57 PM |#11  
Flag Paradise
Thanks Meter: 271

More
I wouldn't worry about it to much. I tether Xbox etc and called att about signal Los and asked if I was being throttled. I was informed that since I now have an lte nitro instead of 3g that they do not start throttling lte users until they hit the 5 gig mark. In a nut shell u should get on Lte ASAP just to have the higher cap space.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread