Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,363 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[guide] how to revert back to gb from lpy ics

Tip us?

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 40,103

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvmalik View Post
What are your plans with the Note, getting a new MOBO or moving to something else?
New MoBo and business as usual. You never leave that big, fat screen once you get a taste of it.

I purchased a SGS2 in the meantime, but it feels ridiculously tiny after the Note.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasmodo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thehackersz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvmalik View Post
Even though you have done it, it does not rule out the possibility of incuring issues at a later stage. Perhaps you should sit tight with LPY as suggested by Mr. Chasmodo
i don't want to take the risk anymore. and the most important part is i never heard anyone bricked their device while using Mobile Odin yet.

Press the *Thanks* button is not that hard isn't it? xD
The Following User Says Thank You to thehackersz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vladovns
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Reverted back using Mobile Odin and CF-LC1 kernel. Did not encounter any problems.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vladovns For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jay-Taicho
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Question: Is using Heimdall on a Mac the same as PC Odin on a PC?

Another question: Is 'full-wipe' = 'wipe/data factory' reset in CWM? If not, can someone define full-wipe for me please?

I did a wipe/data in CWM while on CF LPY before flashing TMT 1.2 LPY rom (As per OP instructions). So many contradicting messages floating around threads at the moment!

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 40,103

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Taicho View Post
Question: Is using Heimdall on a Mac the same as PC Odin on a PC?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Taicho View Post
Another question: Is 'full-wipe' = 'wipe/data factory' reset in CWM? If not, can someone define full-wipe for me please?
Full wipe is:
1. factory reset
2. cache wipe
3. dalvik wipe

bentay78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo View Post
Look, I also think that PC Odin must be 100% safe....

provided you didn't do any wipes prior to using it on stock ICS.

If you did, and your Note has a wonky EMMC chip, nothing would work for you: neither PC, Mobile Odin or Abyss.

You're fcuked.

I was on LPY. Did a full wipe on the LPY rom and after a while decided to revert back to GB rom (KK1) so I used the pc odin method and once completed i rebooted to recovery to wipe factory and cache. Now back to GB rom with no problems.

uccoffee
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 6
how about LPF? it has a new bootloader, is it downgradable?

thehackersz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccoffee View Post
how about LPF? it has a new bootloader, is it downgradable?
Check this OUT

Press the *Thanks* button is not that hard isn't it? xD
The Following User Says Thank You to thehackersz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Slim001
Old
(Last edited by Slim001; 18th May 2012 at 05:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I followed this XDA guide for install the ICS 4 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1840). So that i already flashed CF root, on my Note. So should i again flash it? If i re-flash same kernel again it will make any trouble?

If i need, flash again CF root how do i reboot into recovery?

Thanks in advanced!

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 18th May 2012 at 03:06 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,366

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehackersz View Post
but see here for more details. lots of users reported bricked when using PC Odin, nothing yet on Mobile Odin (Including Me)

1 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1653809
2 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1653582
So, wait - because PC Odin failed due to classic symptoms of THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE, it's at fault?

Not a single one of those posts shows any evidence that PC Odin bricked their device - they all show indications of users that failed to flash with PC Odin because they MMC was ALREADY DAMAGED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehackersz View Post
there's plenty of reports user bricked their device while using Pc Odin. Mobile Odin is the safest for now, coz no one reported anything yet...
There isn't a single report of a user bricking with PC odin - Show me ONE that isn't an example of a user failing to flash in Odin because their partition is already damaged OR is a historic example of a user being an idiot and flashing bootloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo View Post
Look, I also think that PC Odin must be 100% safe....

provided you didn't do any wipes prior to using it on stock ICS.

If you did, and your Note has a wonky EMMC chip, nothing would work for you: neither PC, Mobile Odin or Abyss.

You're fcuked.
Yup. PC Odin is the only 100% safe way to install a fresh kernel.

And that's the other BIG problem with this guide - why is it telling a user to go from a dangerous kernel to YET ANOTHER dangerous kernel (XXLPY-based?)

The safest way to get away from ICS is:
Use PC Odin or Heimdall to flash a safe Gingerbread kernel with working CWM (NOT a full firmware package, and DO NOT mess with repartitioning), such as a Gingerbread CF-Root release. From there you can wipe and then flash whatever you want.

To be clear - JUST flash a safe kernel and then wipe/flash using that - don't flash anything else in PC Odin. If the full firmware package you flash has bootloaders it could hose you.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]