Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DroidX CPU Governors and SIO Kernel Scheduler V2.2

Tip us?

skeevydude
Old
(Last edited by skeevydude; 16th May 2012 at 08:45 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2854
Default DroidX CPU Governors and SIO Kernel Scheduler V2.2

Update 2012\05\16
Removed blank bootmenu folder
Cleaned up init script, removed unsupported lines, added supported lines
Included SD Card Cache Tweak with 2048 value, to match io tweaks
**The lines weren't supported on Bravo Froyo Kernel, added new lines from /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iosched**
**If the removed lines are supported on GB Kernel, let me know and I'll make a zip for each kernel.**
**Just remove the last 2 lines of the init script if you don't want\need the SD Cache Tweak**

Update 2012\05\15
Removed Undervolt settings -- makes zip universal for Defy, Defy+, Bravo, and Milestone
SIO IO Scheduler now properly loads -- no market app needed now.

I originally made this for the Bravo, my phone, but posted it in the Defy forums as well. Since they're getting good results, I thought you guys would like them as well. In theory, it should work with Bravo, Defy, Defy+, Milestone 2, Cliq 2, Droid X, Droid2....basicly any phone with OMAP36XX and Froyo or Gingerbread Kernel (and same mount points as Bravo\Defy).

V2 Removed the Undervolt Settings, caused problems with GB kernel's 4 Vsels, and fixed it so SIO would load without a market app (original DX script didn't work right).

Copy of Original Bravo Post
This CWM compatible zip will install the DroidX smartassv2 and BOOSTEDassV2 cpu governors as well as the SIO Kernel Scheduler. While I've only tested this on CM9, it should work on ANY rom with init.d support and Defy 2nd-init Bootmenu....meaning all CM7\9 and Miui roms. I'm unsure if MS2Ginger and Stock Froyo have init.d support. It also undervolts the rom to 300@20, 600@40, and 1000@54. Those values work fine with CM9 on my phone, meaning no fc's due from being too undervolted. -- Not Anymore

To install, simply flash the zip in cwn and you're done. Wiping Cache and Dalvik Cache isn't necessary.

To use the Governors, select the governor in the CM Performance Menu and select apply on boot, or use a CPU Governor program from the market. I recommend No Frills CPU Control --- its free, no ads, no bs permissions, and you can select the io scheduler.

To use the SIO Kernel Scheduler, install No Frills Cpu Control from the market and select SIO (or noop) from the bottom menu. (Not Necessary Now)

I haven't used SIO very much (5-10 mins now), but it seems to be working well. The noop scheduler works great, and is what I normally use; but I've always read good things about SIO (and wanted to use it), so I thought I'd include it as well.

I'd give thanks to the authors of the Governors and Schedulers, but I have no idea who wrote them....I only found them in Beanstown106's DroidX Miui V4 rom and they happen to work wonderfully on the Bravo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DroidXGovernorsV2.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (191.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: zip DroidXGovernorsV2.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (191.3 KB, 938 views)
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oh0
Old
Thanks Meter 14
thx for this work but when i install this zip over cwm5 i become an "Status 6" error.

skeevydude
Old
(Last edited by skeevydude; 15th May 2012 at 05:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh0 View Post
thx for this work but when i install this zip over cwm5 i become an "Status 6" error.
Odd. I flashed 3 times before uploading to make sure it worked. And it works on Defy and Bravo. Does the MS2 use --mount("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk1p21", "/system");-- to mount /system in roms?

I decided to recheck my scripting, and I left and forgot some () in it. I uploaded my pc's copy, and not the edited one on my phone. Oops, sorry. I'll have a new zip up in about 5 minutes.

New zip attached to the first post.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oh0
Old
Thanks Meter 14
so the installation works. but wenn i select one of the governors it gos back to ondamed. I use CM9 with GB Kernel.

skeevydude
Old
Thanks Meter 2854
I know that it works on Defy CM9 with GB kernel, and MS2Ginger with GB kernel as well. The Bravo only has Froyo Kernel so its impossible for me to test with it. The governors themselves came from MiuiV4 Droid X with GB kernel. Everyone seems to be using the BoostedAssV2 governor and getting good results with it.

Are you using the CM Performance Menu to set the governor? If so, try out No Frills CPU Control (free from market). You'll also be able to tell if SIO is loading with No Frills as well.

I'm curious if its a Milestone CM9 bug since it works just fine on Defy (& +) and Bravo CM9. Can anyone here try on CM7 or CM9 with Froyo kernel? Do you have CM9 with Froyo kernel?

Something to try is to open terminal on the phone and type:
su
insmod /system/lib/modules/cpufreq_BOOSTEDassV2.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/cpufreq_smartassv2.ko

(or use -- adb shell insmod rest/of/command)
and see if they load manually.

oh0
Old
(Last edited by oh0; 15th May 2012 at 07:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
when i use terminal and tip insmod /system/lib/modules/cpufreq_BOOSTEDassV2.ko it says "faild (File exists).

€: with no-frills cpu controll it works.

thanks.

skeevydude
Old
Thanks Meter 2854
Quote:
when i use terminal and tip insmod /system/lib/modules/cpufreq_BOOSTEDassV2.ko it says "faild (File exists).
Means its loaded.

I'd ask you to post a logcat, but after watching my logcat output, it doesn't explicitly show which governor is used, is being changed, or exact commands. Try SetCPU or No Frills from the market. A few Defy users use SetCPU, I use No Frills. One Defy user had to use System Tuner Pro to use them, but I don't think he read the first post correctly and was trying to load them from the bootmenu.

Try enabling "Load all Modules" in the CPU part of the bootmenu and Enable Overclocking from there as well. It shouldn't matter (Load all Modules) since the governors are loaded in an init script, but that's how my phone is right now, and the first script initially was. Also ondemand is the default fallback governor when nothing is used, which could explain why ondemand keeps getting selected no matter what you do.

lsmod (run in terminal) shows all modules loaded

Here's a screenshot of my lsmod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lsmod.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1063030  

oh0
Old
Thanks Meter 14
ok i found the mistake "Load all Modules" was disable.

skeevydude
Old
Thanks Meter 2854
Quote:
ok i found the mistake "Load all Modules" was disable.
So its working now?

oh0
Old
Thanks Meter 14
i can switch the govenor with no-frills. but not over Settings->performance

but when i switch the govenor with no-frills to smartassV2 it shows me in Settings->Performance that it is SamartassV2.

sry for my bad english ;)