Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

[APP] - TrackUrSelf -[U]- 16 Jul 2012 1.21 (Fixed)

OP darthveda

15th May 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 13

107 posts
Name: TrackUrSelf

Having been an avid user of windows phone and a GPS enthusiast, I have always wanted to create an application which use this technology. rather than develop an map application, I decided to use the background agent of windows phone 7 and create an application which tracks your movement. This is very useful for hiking/trekking adventures as well long drives.

This application only tracks the location and displays it on the viewer. The locations are never sent out (other than skydrive backup), so this is not a stalker app

I would welcome your views and feedback on this application.

Changelog:
+ Aerial mode added
+ KML Export/Backup to Skydrive added.
+ Added Live tile with back tile info
+ Background image for the app and skydrive page.. looks better now
+ Fixed a bug, which was not letting you a take a backup without quitting the app.
+ Filename has Date&Time appended, which would enable multiple backups being stored in your skydrive (should have been there in the first place)
+ Fixed crash bug while updating live tile through background services. Forgot about cross access thread exception.
+ Implemented crash log reporter

You would need a developer unlock phone to sideload the application, it does NOT need any interop unlock or full unlock to launch it.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1655712
Download Link: Attached XAP file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SShot0.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1197943   Click image for larger version

Name:	SShot1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1197944   Click image for larger version

Name:	SShot2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1197945  
Attached Files
File Type: xap TrackUrSelf_1.21.xap - [Click for QR Code] (838.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: xap TrackUrSelf_1.21 (Fixed).xap - [Click for QR Code] (845.4 KB, 113 views)
Last edited by darthveda; 16th July 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Fixed critical crash bug and uploaded
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darthveda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2012, 08:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
Hi darthveda,

Looks like a nice app, but I wonder how this app will influence your battery life? When hiking you generally do not have wall-plugs at your disposal to charge your battery when needed.

How often does the app store your position?
17th May 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

107 posts
it's 30 minute interval, pre-defined by WP7. It's a periodic task. I am running it on my system for over 2 weeks now, haven't had major power usage due to this.
30th May 2012, 03:37 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

107 posts
Posted new version
22nd June 2012, 04:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

107 posts
Updated with the newer version
26th June 2012, 10:10 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

13 posts
The app looks interesting. Is there a way to export the data that is generated?
26th June 2012, 03:25 PM   |  #7  
Flag Y Σ M X
Thanks Meter: 101

798 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabKalix

Hi darthveda,

Looks like a nice app, but I wonder how this app will influence your battery life? When hiking you generally do not have wall-plugs at your disposal to charge your battery when needed.

How often does the app store your position?

Dont be so sure of that , if your serious about hiking then dont leave home without this:

http://www.biolitestove.com/

I waited 7 months for this to be released and I can tell you it works , its actually amazing and could be a life saver , this app might just help people considerably with rescue as well!!
26th June 2012, 05:56 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyh0e

The app looks interesting. Is there a way to export the data that is generated?

At this point, NO. The reason is for privacy reasons but will look into implementing this feature in the next update.

As of 1.1, you can now track your position whenever you want apart from 30 minutes interval. And I have made sure not to store the location if it is same as before. Regarding battery usage, I don't have major impact on my battery usage.
26th June 2012, 06:33 PM   |  #9  
Flag Y Σ M X
Thanks Meter: 101

798 posts
More
Well can store the positions as a log file , and possibly upload the log files , i think it would be incredibly useful to be able to log the coordinates , whether its every 30 minutes or more (less) , just thinking how usefule this info could be!
26th June 2012, 07:26 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

107 posts
Ok will implement it, I am not sure if wp7 allows me to write word files if it does then i will write a table in that itself
else a normal csv file would do i guess.

Also, adding the map modes as an option, right now it is street, will enable hybrid, satellite modes as well. This was a suggestion in marketplace reviews

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep it coming

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread