Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

L2_hsic (latest update 12/12/13)

Tip us?

Braxos
Old
(Last edited by Braxos; 12th December 2013 at 08:15 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Default L2_hsic (latest update 12/12/13)

Yesterday I had this problem with l2_hsic......

Read the rest here

I moved my post because I will need the space for the findings, as I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Here are the findings till now from some users.
I will update this when new ideas/solutions have posted.

what is l2_hsic read the rest here

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhgargi View Post
HSIC is technology for inter processor comminication. Our phone has two main chipsets AP (here snapdragon, thus the name MSM ) and modem chipset (again by qualcomm). They both are connected via hsic, ...........

Quote:
Yes, HSIC is an hardware along with its device driver used for Inter Processor Communication.

Main principle is Android RIL communicates with help of hsic driver to communicate to the CP (modem) chip. And vice-versa. Modem chip also has the same hsic at there side also.

That L2 does not stand for L2 of OSI layer................ There are 4 states (L0(active),L1,L2,L3) state of power saving in USB link also , hsic also uses the same convention.

kernel related? read the rest here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKiller147 View Post
Hello
I've been encountering L2_hsic and a few other related wakelocks for months (even years), ever since updating my I9100T to ICS (which I did the minute custom ICS roms hit web).......

I searched around and found out the l2_hsic wakelocks are generated by a kernel file "/drivers/misc/modem_if/modem_link_device_hsic.c" which is also responsible for rpm_hsic and tx_hsic wakelocks.
From there I went to CM git and with help from their IRC channel I found the source code for their version of this file:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro..._device_hsic.c
A explanation from anirudhgargi what hsic is! (09/06/12) post 264 :

Quote:
HISC is the interface that connected the main Soc processor ( Also called Applciation Processor AP) to the modem ( 3G or 4G if there are two modems separately )

HSIC is used the standard USB core library. And it is stanrd given by usb.org. The HSIC by itself consumes very less power and is one of the very power efficient and space efficient ways of interconnecting chips. Currently common to Qualcomm and Sammy Exynos architectures.

The reason you seeing too many HSIC wake lock and other wake us's is due to the fact that the HSIC interface is waken up by modem (Normal scenarios are also so many) .

A find about hsic from becosemsaida (09/06/12) post #107 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by becosemsaida View Post
Well i have the wake-lock too and after some digging around i found this:

http://www.synopsys.com/dw/ipdir.php...c_usb_lpm_hsic
A article about wakelocks from unthinkable apps(18/06/12) post #126 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Interesting that academia is researching this issue.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06..._no_sleep_bug/

A sume of what we know from Shaftenberg(20/06/12) post #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftenberg View Post
- equal which modem we are using (GB or ICS)
- all available kernels are affected
- all ICS-ROMs are affected
- disable fast dormancy doesn't help(?)
- Wifi settings aren't responsible
- AC charger is equal (maybe a random thing for this user)
- turning airplane mode or data on/off does not help to kill the service
a found on the kernel code from funky81 (25/06/12) post #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky81 View Post
After search codes in the kernel related with this problem, I've found out the conclusion is that this wild uncontrolled wake lock related with data communication (modem)

Code:
./drivers/misc/modem_if/modem_link_device_hsic.c:wake_lock_init(&pm_data->l2_wake, WAKE_LOCK_SUSPEND, "l2_hsic");
I will try to update the code w/ Samsung Galaxy S3 source code in my kernel...

I will inform you if there's any progress with this
Could a app with it's traffic causing it? (26/01/13) post #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdal View Post
....... I got suspicious. I then forced notifications from Asphalt 7 off in Jelly Beans App Administration. After doing that, I have had no l2_hsic wake lock. ......... Problem solved for me
Till now 4.0.4 dbt is not giving high numbers of wakelocks with l2_hsic, 11min in 24 hours cycle

Dates are using DD/MM/UT format

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Braxos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

UgloBuglo
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I have the same kernel wakelock l2_hsic in my phone when it is otherwise idle... no idea what it is though, but in my feeble understanding it means that the phone never gees into deep sleep - and that can't be good can it?

rigor.m
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have the same problem of the l2_hsic wakelock popping up and eating battery. A reset always cures it for some time but it eventually appears again... Very annoying, I hope someone figures out how to get rid of it..

frasch42
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Same here, l2_hsic keeps my phone awake. It's seems to start at some random point and never "switches off" again until I reboot the phone. After a reboot it takes usually takes a couple of hours before this lock reappears.
Never saw this lock on GB, btw.

Evo 4G63
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I'm having the same issue too. Has anyone figured out what it is yet?

frasch42
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I gave up.
Went back to Gingerbread using PC Odin and flashed a pre-rooted LA1.
Installed Mobile Odin Pro and flashed official LPY using Everroot and the 2 injects.
So far it has been running nicely with no wakelocks worth mentioning.

Disclaimer: I am a noob, what i have done might be unsafe and stupid.

StarterKid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
same problem here. I also have not found a solution, even though I force-stopped all installed programs it was still there. Bad thing, it reduces my battery life from about 3 days to 14 hrs :/

evil-doer
Old
Thanks Meter 18
i have a bunch of random kernel wakelocks that randomly start up and keep going. l2_hsic is one of the worst offenders tho.

frasch42
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasch42 View Post
I gave up.
Went back to Gingerbread using PC Odin and flashed a pre-rooted LA1.
Installed Mobile Odin Pro and flashed official LPY using Everroot and the 2 injects.
So far it has been running nicely with no wakelocks worth mentioning.

Disclaimer: I am a noob, what i have done might be unsafe and stupid.
Update: Phone is doing great now, with uptime of about 36h.
L2_HSIC does show up in kernel wakelocks but only for about 10 minutes in this 36h period.

StarterKid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yesterday it seemed like my note cured itself, the l2_hsic wakelock was up for about 10 minutes and after 19 hrs I had 45% left. Without changing anything today it is worse like before. The Samsung-Support did not know what to do except for a factory reset, but I'd really like to find a better solution.

It seems like a restart cures the wakelock for about 24 hrs. I restarted it 1 hour ago and until now the l2_hsic hasn't come up...