Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Tip us?

this_is_nick6
Old
(Last edited by this_is_nick6; 27th May 2012 at 08:32 PM.) Reason: Added VZW Model.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
Talking Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too .

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rooting-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (275.8 KB, 7833 views)
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to this_is_nick6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TabGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 159
For which versions of the 10.1 will this method work?

this_is_nick6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
It works 100% on the Rogers GSM 3G model, so it should work on any 3G variant. The tabs are branded as "4G" here in Canada but this method has not been tested on an actual 4G (Verizon) device, or the Wifi only model.

badogg
Old
Thanks Meter 684
I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
HTC Droid DNA
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gb Wifi
Google Nexus 7 32gb

Retired Devices:
HTC Rezound
HTC Droid Incredible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badogg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

this_is_nick6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
Awesome! Great to hear.

kasper_h
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 15289

DONATE TO ME
Great! I don't like using Odin (once had a semi-brick when flashing with Odin, probably due to a bad cable connection), so I like this Odin-free approach
Galaxy S:
Mackay ROM 4: http://bit.ly/17lGtyw, with Mackay kernel: http://bit.ly/1bNIipy
Nexus 5: Nameless ROMhttp://bit.ly/1nnsDzF

this_is_nick6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to this_is_nick6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dejanslibar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up unroot?

Many thanks for this!!

I also don't like ODIN, not to mention that I only have Mac thus booting into Windows everytime I want to use it.

This "no wire" method really is better and way easier, do you thing unroot method can also be made that way?

Bye, Dejan.
The Following User Says Thank You to dejanslibar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

this_is_nick6
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
I'll look into the un-root method and update the post accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to this_is_nick6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nevetsgtI9100
Old
Thanks Meter 3
worked on my 4g rogers model.

Thx!

Tags
galaxy tab, install recovery, rogers, root