Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MASS e-mail to Apple....

Tip us?

regulator207
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDEK View Post
Peace All,

Where is ANONYMOUS when we need them? They would be the best at doing this--hey they might even be able to shut down some of Apple's infrastructure
I was thinking this same thing. I wonder if any of them had pre-orders. haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to regulator207 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mbaseball3
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by regulator207 View Post
I was thinking this same thing. I wonder if any of them had pre-orders. haha.
Yeah I've posted bout anonymous in a few other sites too. I'd be giggidy for way to long if apon hearing they were the victims of a cyber attack. I'd take time off work for that just to go to the local bar and buy everyone celebration drinks.

Sent from my Transformer

PsiPhiDan
Old
Thanks Meter 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonikan View Post
This is silly.
I mean, heck. If I were company A who invented idea X and company B came along with idea X, I would not be so different from Apple.

And, Apple employees are not the ones hording our EVOs. Its the government.
As would I. But in this case, company B invented idea X, company A took the idea and them proceeded to patent it, and then company B is no longer allowed to use idea X.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

mawst95
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Why is Apple immoral (or lack morals)?

Maybe the patent system is broken, but that's not Apple's fault. I can think the tax code is unfair and broken, but you better believe I'm going to use every legal loophole and deduction I can to minimize my tax burden. A for profit company has a responsibility to its shareholders.

We have free market capitalism here in the US. Companies are in the business to make money, that's all. If they created or own a legal patent, they have a fiduciary duty to protect their intellectual property. To do otherwise, would be a disservice to their shareholders.

Now there may be other considerations beyond pure money making--contributing to society (philanthropy), for example. Also, Apple could reason that enforcing patent X could lead to some sort of consumer backlash, which, long term, could hurt their profits, though I'm not sure Android/XDA fans are their core constituency.

Could you imagine the Apple board meeting:

CEO: So we created or own the patent to X. I noticed one of our primary competitors is using this technology and haven't licensed it.

Lawyer: I recommend we don't protect our intellectual property because it'll piss off Android O/S (competitor) users who want the new HTC (competitor) flagship phone.

Lawyer 2: We're pretty sure if we let this one go, HTC will look the other way when the shoe is on the other foot.

CEO: Makes sense to me. High five!

Before I'm flamed, I don't like it. But I don't blame Apple. Blame the patent laws and the decision making process. Even more so, blame HTC and Sprint for somehow not anticipating this. When did this decision come down? How did Sprint and HTC get caught with their pants down on this?
The Following User Says Thank You to mawst95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mawst95
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan View Post
As would I. But in this case, company B invented idea X, company A took the idea and them proceeded to patent it, and then company B is no longer allowed to use idea X.

First, prove that. Second, assuming you are correct, whose fault is that? Company B. If you are a for profit corporation and you don't understand intellectual property, then you shouldn't be in business.

paretosoup
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawst95 View Post
Why is Apple immoral (or lack morals)?
Apple, in it's victory over HTC for its "patent" has two recourses available:
1.) levy a licensing fee
2.) bar the sale

Which action is taken is solely the choice of Apple.
It choose to be anti-competitive.

Keep in mind, there may not be any infringement of the applicable patents. HTC may have worked around the problem already. The problem is that now another government agency (Dept of Homeland Security) has become involved in the area - and now we're relying on the patent and technological knowledge of workers in the DHS.

Yes, the patent system is broken.
Apple is nonetheless has taken upon themselves to determine what phone I may buy. That is not a power that I have granted to them for me - and it's time that consumers get their say in this stupid farce.
The Following User Says Thank You to paretosoup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

manny1983nyc
Old
Thanks Meter 11
sent

PsiPhiDan
Old
Thanks Meter 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawst95 View Post
First, prove that. Second, assuming you are correct, whose fault is that? Company B. If you are a for profit corporation and you don't understand intellectual property, then you shouldn't be in business.
I can't prove it, it was my interpretation of the situation as I know it.

Anyway, I don't think you can blame Google for not patenting every single UI feature in existence. It is ridiculous that multiple companies can't have similar features such as this now-controversial "data tapping" thing. It's a basic, fundamental element of a smartphone's UI. Can someone patent lockscreens, boot animation, cube transitions, and displaying the time and battery life on the status bar? It's going too far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsiPhiDan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fsuwade
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Look its a sad day for all fans of the evo, But i want my Evo lte. Its not going to happen this week. But We all should not be mad at Apple just bc they own the tech.

We shoud be mad at Htc they new what was out there and if they did not then i am sorry they are no better then Apple with what and how they act.

You can be mad but if it was not a date in the way then it could be next month before we get our evo's.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe