Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,909 Members 37,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to increase tension or lock down car mount?

Tip us?

Tangent_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default How to increase tension or lock down car mount?

I have the HTC car kit for my Sensation and love it except for one thing: When driving over rougher roads or when taking hard right turns the mount moves, so instead of the phone staying nice and level it droops. My car's on an pretty firm aftermarket suspension so I wouldn't be surprised if not many other people have this issue... Is there any way to tighten or flat-out lock the mount's arm? There doesn't appear to be any visible tension screw I can tighten, and because the arm is chromed no adhesive I can think of really sticks to it. (at least super glue and silicone adhesives haven't ) Any ideas?

The Radius Kid
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I have the HTC car kit for my Sensation and love it except for one thing: When driving over rougher roads or when taking hard right turns the mount moves, so instead of the phone staying nice and level it droops. My car's on an pretty firm aftermarket suspension so I wouldn't be surprised if not many other people have this issue... Is there any way to tighten or flat-out lock the mount's arm? There doesn't appear to be any visible tension screw I can tighten, and because the arm is chromed no adhesive I can think of really sticks to it. (at least super glue and silicone adhesives haven't ) Any ideas?
Got a picture?

Tangent_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Of the mount itself? It's this one: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHsQ8wIwAQ

The part I want to be able to tighten or lock down the the ball and socket you can see at the base... If this gets much more annoying I might end up grinding away the chrome from the ball portion and using something like JB Weld to secure it to the base.

The Radius Kid
Old
Thanks Meter 14
It looks like the base should be able to come apart to tighten the tension on the socket for the lower ball.
Is there an external adjustment for this?

Tangent_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
I checked and couldn't find any adjustment anywhere. If I pull away the suction cup it looks like the metal base is pressed in so I can't even get to the ball joint. Since the ball joint is limited to roughly 180* of rotation, I just rotated the entire mount so it's already at it's limit for the counter-clockwise rotation and therefore can't sag in that direction anymore. That leaves the power cable sticking out of the bottom instead of neatly out of the way at the top, but I ordered a micro-USB cable with a 90* end that should minimize that too...
Tags
car kit, carkit, mount